Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • How old to climb Snowdon
  • oddjob
    Free Member

We’re loosely planning a trip to Snowdonia. I would like to try and walk up Snowdon with the kids.

What’s the youngest that any of you have managed to get a fit and active kids up a mountain?

rocketman
    Free Member

rocket jr walked up Cadair Idris when he was 9 but I’ve seen younger children on higher hills. We had loads of breaks and loads of Mars bars/crisps/cake etc and treated it as a day out rather than a mission.

Snowdon is pretty easy tbh unless you are doing Crib Goch and there is of course a cafe at the top. The Llanberis path is cycleable.

The only word of caution I’d have is that the weather is almost always unimaginably shite on top be prepared and take more food/clothing than you think.

peterfile
    Free Member

I’ve been on hills with petulant middle aged people and well behaved 5 year olds 🙂

I suppose it depends on the kid, but the biggest problem we’ve ever faced is tiredness and a sudden change of heart and wanting to go to eat ice cream instead 🙂

If it helps, we helped guide a group of 6 adults and their 12 children (ranging from 8 to 15) up the Cobbler in extremely limited visibility in November. The kids were loving it and constantly having to wait on the adults….which was the only negative given the weather – they kept running ahead.

ElShalimo

I took my 3 nephews up a couple of years ago and the youngest (8 yr-old) virtually ran up beating his older brothers. We saw lots of smaller kids up there too. He used to be very inactive (playing on his Nintendo all the time) so he suprised me.
    He loves going up the big hills now

Go up the PyG track (easiest) and down the Miner’s track for a little variety.

oddjob
    Free Member

oldest is 6 and very fit, the youngest is 3 and not so active (born with club foot so not that strong)

I would expect that we have to carry the little one and I can cope with that, but it will be a struggle to carry them both.

TBH I think we’ll take the train and set our sights lower on the hiking

terrahawk
    Free Member

Our two made it to the top and back down, aged 2 and 4.
    they were in a big-wheeled pushchair for most of it though 😉

midlifecrashes

We did it with a seven year old, but the only reason the five year old didn’t was to keep grandma company on the train. Bus from town to start of the Pyg, back down the main Llanberis path.

rocketman
    Free Member

oldest is 6 and very fit, the youngest is 3 and not so active

kinda young tbh esp if anything goes pear-shaped

the sight of the train can be very disheartening to little ones who may not appreciate the challenge of climbing a mountain.

somouk
    Free Member

I worked with Mountain Rescue to remove a 6 year old off there when he had been blown over one of the edges. It can be walked quite easily depending on path by small children, just make sure you keep them close and safe!

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

My daughter happily did up miners and down Pyg a couple of years back when she was eight and a half

ElShalimo

also, if you walked up you can’t get the train down if the little ‘uns don’t fancy the descent. I think the only way to get down on the train is to be seriously injured (or possess a return ticket)

thegreatape
    Free Member

One thing I’ve found with my kids (11, 5 and 2) on longer walks is that if it’s fun/interesting/varied they’re happy for hours, whereas a boring 10 min walk around the village has them moaning for Britain.

eg. Coire Gabhail in Glencoe, 2-3 hours up and down (including picnic of course) but it’s got bridges, clambering over rocks, caves, crossing rivers, so they’re happy as pigs in poo.

Sometimes I shove spare pants and a towel in the bag and we look for pools in the rivers to swim in.

surfer
    Free Member

loads of breaks and loads of Mars bars/crisps/cake etc and treated it as a day out rather than a mission.

+1

Both junior Surfers have been up their many times just try to make it fun, after all its less than an hour from Pen Y Pass carpark to the summit 8)

oddjob
    Free Member

I am beginning to think that we can start and see how far we get. There’s nothing wrong with coming back if the weather is bad or the nippers are too tired.

Last time I was up there was the last leg of the 3 peaks. That was tired!

soobalias
    Free Member

apparently i did snowdon aged 6, my sister who was only four made it as far as the 3rd Lake (?) before she and my mum turned back to the carpark

i can remember one rock/step and thats about it. pretty sure my sis only remembers the story, not the event.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Would have thought 3 was very young, 6 surely would be fine.

ElShalimo

surfer – Member
    after all its less than an hour from Pen Y Pass carpark to the summit

It is indeed ..if you run

Oddjob – If you can go midweek it’s going to be a lot less busy but at this time of year you get loads up there doing charity walks on the weekend (some in fancy dress) which the kids might appreciate.
    Parking in Llanberis or Beddgelert and getting the Sherpa bus to Pen-y-Pass will be part of the fun for the kids.
    Sugared almonds or yoghurt coated nuts/raisins are great for little bursts of energy on the walk.
    Stay well hydrated if you’ll be doing a fair bit of carrying the youngest

voodoo_chile

Surfer, are you ron hill? You speed merchant

cbike
    Free Member

Me and Little Sis did Ben Nevis aged 8 and 6 and I was carried up scary stuff on Skye at 3 months old.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Usual STW willy waving aside, I managed Snowdon when I was 24.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think I did Ranger’s path aged 7 or so.

Graham_Clark

Had both my boys up Blencathra and Scafell last year aged 8 and 4.

Key is to keep it interesting and varied. Also leave a long time for the trip. It allows for the messing, games, etc.
    Thinking of doing the horseshoe later this year with them (9 and 5 now) including Crib Goch, etc…

stufield
    Free Member

Climbed Helvellyn in the snow when he was 5, you’ll be fine, just have plenty of food to keep energy levels up, some treats at milestones. Also i find plenty of conversation keeps their mind busy…

Who’s the best transformer lasted all the way down.

globalti
    Free Member

I was hauled up mountains every weekend and every family holiday from the age of eight. All I would say is, don’t underestimate the psychological effect of cold and rain on a child; I dreaded rain for years until Goretex was invented.

martinhutch

Motivation and fine weather is everything at that age. You should nip up the night before to leave a trail of Haribos leading towards the cafe.

lowey

My Dad took me over Crib Goch and the rest of the snowdon Horseshoe when I was 7.

beefheart
    Free Member

I took my 7 year old up the ranger path, and he was fine.
    It’s a bit shorter, not too technical and not too busy.
    I wouldn’t have taken him if the weather was less than ideal though.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘How old to climb Snowdon’ is closed to new replies.