• This topic has 37 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by jedi.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • how old is too old to be riding a BMX?
  • therealhoops
    Free Member

I’ve been toying with buying a BMX for the last 22years now. I’m 33 and it would only be used for the daily commute to work/getting down with the kids. Comments from the floor……

hora
    Free Member

IMO same age as a skateboard.

someone on here once turned up at a skatepark on a bmx- I think he was laughed and made fun of by the kids!

therealhoops
    Free Member

I’ve still got my skateboard but the route in isn’t very truck-friendly, especially to such an old board as mine.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    richc
    Free Member

appears to be around 119.

jojoA1
    Free Member

15 deffo.

DezB
    Free Member

Secret is to have a kid of your own. Go out with him and you’re just being a helpful guardian

Bushwacked
    Free Member

The question is really – “how old is too old to have fun”?

I ride BMX (age 35) and ride with others that aren’t teenagers and the age range is 25 to 50 – at our Xmas party seeing a guy in his mid 40s do his first front flip was a sight to behold and truly inspiring!!!

I used to think that BMX was only for the teenagers but now totally don’t think that way since taking it up.

I think people have that perception because when our generation were young there were no adults riding BMX as it hd only been invented in the late 70s / early 80s. Now there is this thought that as we didn’t see any adults on BMXs back in the day that adults shouldn’t ride BMX now even if they grew up doing it. But if you look hard enough you will find a very active race scene with people of all ages racing regularly and a very active park scene also and in terms of a sport, in many ways it is far more demanding than MTBing. I see no reason why there is an age restriction on this aspect of cycling – that’s just silly!

Where are you in the country?

jedi

you’re too old when you cant!

MrAgreeable

Getting one for commuting seems a bit Nathan Barley but they are fun to ride whatever your age. And you can leave them locked up without worrying about junkies nicking your wheels.

dertmerchant
    Free Member

I only took it up a few months ago, at 28(chronologically, about 12 mentally) I deffinitely wouldnt consider myself too old for anything, but I race against guys who are mid-late forties they’re still having fun at it and some of them are pretty damn quick too…
    never too old IMO!

therealhoops
    Free Member

I’m in South Manc-land.

dertmerchant
    Free Member

incidentally, if any of you are in Glasgow, get yourselves up to the track at Clydebank on a sunday and come see what its all about…

jojoA1
    Free Member

I was jesting, there shouldn’t be an upper age limit. Just give up at the point where you feel mildly ridiculous on a bike that looks waaaay too small for a ‘grownup’. Even then, it shouldn’t matter.

woody2000

If you feel you have to ask, then you probably are already 😀

Bushwacked
    Free Member

LOL @ Woody2000

JojoA1 – My BMX is set up with similar to my MTB – Same width bars, height BB, seat to stem distance (not quite this but the distance between legs and stem as obviously the seat is lower on a BMX) – only difference is the bars are about 5cm lower.

Its that perception they are kids bikes – I’m telling you!!!

epo-aholic
    Free Member

11….maybe 12?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Therealhoops – Just wondered where you were – if in my neck of the woods I’d suggested trying out my bike and seeing what you think.

There’s an get together at a skatepark in Burnley next Sunday (18th) that you could pop along to if you were close.

Also, being in stockport – you are a damn sight nearer to Rampworx in Liverpool than me and for that I am very jealous!!!

Check out http://www.radbmx.co.uk – like minded individuals

samuri
    Free Member

It’s not age, but size. Anyone over 5’2″ looks like a clown on one.

cinnamon_girl

What’s age got to do with it?

(Runs away to check whether roots need a retouch :wink:)

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Do you think these guys look like clowns??

http://vimeo.com/2731077 😆

samuri
    Free Member

Honestly? yes. Underpants pulled up deliberately, has one of them got a fur hood on under his hoodie? 😉 Jesus wept.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

dertmerchant – who are you?

I’m one of the guys who runs the club.

swisstony
    Free Member

I’m 37 but i got back into it a few years ago, i’ve great excuses though as i’ve bought both my kids BMX’s so i’ve got to go to the track with them but they’re too little for the skatepark yet so i set up a BMX club in the school i teach which gives me an excuse to ride every friday.

do it

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Samuri – LOL – I set ’em up – you knock ’em down!!! 😆

tails
    Free Member

therealhoops if you do decide to take it up I have colony endeavor frame I’m looking to sell or a slightly older WeThePeople bike I might sell at the right price, both very good condition, the WTP has only been out the shed a handful of times since new powder coat.

In regards to your post, I guess you gotta try to find out. Dave Mirra still top his game at 34.

aw
    Free Member

Bushwacked
    Free Member

So does Zach Shaw and Paul Meacher! Most of the top Vert guys are mid 30s

Jamie Bestwick is apparently 37 – which to be honest I find difficult to believe since he is totally at the top of his game!

tails
    Free Member

Bestwick 37!!!!! I’m surprised he’s that old

Candodavid
    Free Member

I’m 37 and Mrs C is a jott older and we both ride BMX

dertmerchant
    Free Member

Zed- its Dave, came up there with the girlfriend last sunday, was racing on an Intense, she’s got the SE Ripper with the neon pink pedals.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Wot Jedi said . . .

Still cr@p at 51 and heck it’s not as if I haven’t had much practise but hey, it’s damn good fun :>)

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Hey Dave, how you doing? – I’m the dude that looks like Jebus. I’ve a photo of you wiping out on the first berm, along with about 4 other crashes from that Sunday, lol.

I can’t make it this Sunday as we’re visiting my parents but we’ll be back the week after. Unfortunately the contractor didn’t turn up to re-surface the track on Monday so we’re chasing that up just now. Pretty slippy just now eh?

muddy_fox
    Free Member

If you want one, get one. But fer chrissakes don’t use the ‘i will commute on it’ excuse

JakeDaSilva
    Free Member

Get one, pull skids and wheelies, and wear clown shoes if that helps. At 6-4 myself and 31 I couldn’t give a sh1t about the kids laughing at me down the park. To be honest I was pleased that the yoot of today actually turned up, and gave encouragement and support on a qrt pipe hip I was stalling on. Give it a go, they’re a right laugh. But like most people here, “tool for job” sense suggests its not the one for commuting, (unless its a sweet manual slope all the way there and a series of hips, pops and berms on the way back?) but then I wouldn’t think fixed gear brakeless bikes are good for mixing it up with the traffic either so maybe I am past it.

mAx_hEadSet

its obvious… when you are dead or too old to balance without stabalisers.. 48 with a Monty 221 ti trials bike

jedi

tuesdays at corby ,sometimes us old boys have outnumbered the skids!

its all biking.the skin tight jeans just look like lycra anyway

Bushwacked
    Free Member

LOL!!! Lycra with pockets and a belt that doesn’t work!!!

jedi

you know it!you ell them that they look shite and that they will cringe at pics of themselves in 10yrs time but do thlisten……….:)

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘how old is too old to be riding a BMX?’ is closed to new replies.