Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • How old is my Orange P7 ?
  • sputnik
    Free Member

I am sure someone on here will be able to help me. I have owned this P7 for about 8 years now after I rescued the frame and forks from the tip. Since then I have first singlespeeded it for a couple of years and now it is running full XT groupset , complete with carbon bars and seatpost and UST wheels. I love this bike and are interested to learn more about it, think it is Tange Prestige tubing. What year was this from? It has bosses under the down tube for a Crud Catcher, I think this helps with identifying its vintage.
    Any info (about my P7) will be greatly appreciated.

xiphon
    Free Member

On my Oranges, there’s a date stamped on the underside of the BB shell

sputnik
    Free Member

I will go and have a quick look under the bonnet…
    A603007152 stamped under the BB, guess is just frame nr.

mattstreet

Very nice! Looks like a 1997 (clicky).

sputnik
    Free Member

Thanks Matt, I saved that link with the tech spec. Just what I was looking for.

crankboy
    Free Member

My P7 looked very much like yours when new it was one of the first batch with V brakes and still had the cantilever boss on the top of the wishbone seat stay . I can sort of see that boss in your picture (or it could be something in the background) if so it’s earlier than the one in the link.

Also the one in the link has an ahead set not quill stem. Mine came with own brand quill stem hot rod bars and own brand seat post and saddle.

IHN

I don’t know how old it is, but it’s blimmin lovely. Surely Orange would be able to tell you if you mailed the frame number?

What size is it by the way?

mattstreet

No worries – bit of a fan of ‘classic’ Oranges myself. 🙂

Some luck you’ve had – can’t believe some numpty threw it away!

MarkyG82

It looks kinda similar to my bros which is a ’98 but in matte black so 97 would be my agreement.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Same year as my mates that came with a full STX-RC groupset. I’d hazard a guess at earlier than 97 though… I’d go 94 or 95.

sputnik
    Free Member

Crankboy, you saw correctly, it still has the cantilever boss on top of the wishbone stay. Thanks IHN, I think it is lovely too! I am 6’3 and it fits me fine, although the seat post does come up a fair way, so a 19 inch I guess, will go measure it in a minute. I haven’t thought of contacting Orange, good idea ❗

was
    Free Member

I would say 1995/6. I had one of the first new in ’94 and it came with black decals, the downtube logo was the older design although yours could have been replaced.

Orange will tell you for sure from the frame number.

Its not Tange prestige. Prior to the P7 Orange made an “Orange Prestige” made of Tange prestige. The P7 was its replacement and made of Orange’s own tubing blend (i.e. it was cheaper to buy in a generic tubeset of equivalent quality).

Great bike.

AngusWells

Luverly.

sputnik
    Free Member

Cheers Was and thanks Angus. IHN, just measured centre of BB to top of ST and it is 21′”.
    So it is staring to look more ’95/6 then. I am calling Orange to ask and will report back.

sputnik
    Free Member

So I phoned Orange and spoke to a chap called Ben Deakin. The serial nr revealed nothing as Orange’s data base doesn’t go that far back. So Ben asked me to mail him some photos. Having looked at the photos he is of the opinion that it is an P7 from 1995. Which makes it 17 years old!!
    Thanks to everyone for the interest.

xiphon
    Free Member

Blimey! Nice 😀

chainring
    Free Member

Cracking looking machine that, lovely! 😀

transapp
    Free Member

Really nice bit of kit. Not quite as good as my 94 clockwork 😉 (sadly / stupidly sold) but very nice!

IHN

That’d fit me luvvly, you know, if you’re thinking of selling it… 😉

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

So what do I win?

highclimber
    Free Member

it’s a 21″ and you have that much seat tube showing? How tall are you??

timc
    Free Member

i was going to say 95/96, I had a 95 c16, loved that bike!

Mr_C
    Free Member

I had a P7 in that colour scheme, it was a replacement for my original purple P7 which was nicked in ’95, so what the man at Orange said.

sputnik
    Free Member

Thanks Xiphon,Chainring and Transapp. And I will keep you in mind IHN!
    No prize , sorry DaveBoyWonder , but you are allowed to feel smug and go “I told you so” 🙂
    Highclimber, I’m 6’3 ( with long legs!)

was
    Free Member

A603007152

Just noticed you posted the frame number. The first number is the year and second two are the month. The letter “A” signifies it was made in the A-Pro factory in Taiwan.

Therefore it was made March 1996.

Now do I get to say “I told you so”?

sputnik
    Free Member

Well done Was! Yup, you can say ‘Told you so’ in a very smug tone 🙂
    I can’t believe all the info was right under my nose ( well, bottom bracket ) so to speak. One just have to know how to decode it ❗
    Surprised the guy at Orange didn’t know how to decipher the serial nr.
    Anyway, very pleased with the outcome as I now know the year, month and factory it was made in.
    Singletrack-wiki-hive-mind FTW

yesiamtom
    Free Member

Its fantastic to see such an old frame still being used and enjoyed. Shows that decent design and materials will outlast others.

I just bought my first aluminium frame in 5 years and I hope it lasts 5 let alone 17! My original inbred frame is a bit …holey in the top tube department from powder coating.

IHN

Its fantastic to see such an old frame still being used and enjoyed.

*must post picture of my 1995 Marin what I still love*

Muke
    Free Member

What does the OR mean in mine then ?

OR05070360

pescadoro
    Free Member

My Orange P7, nickel, was bought in November 1994 at High Wycombe, England. She is named ‘Rocinante’ after Don Quixote’s famous horse! She and I have completed the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostella via a crossing of the Picos de Europa by the San Glorio pass. With 22 kilos of kit aboard she peformed superbly, we camped wild often and not a single thing went wrong, broke or what. I was 62 then and did the trip solo in 10 days riding from Santander though I set off from close to Manchester, England. Many adventures. In 1999 I took five weeks to traverse the Pyrenees on the Spanish side from Perpingnon to Pamplona and then the French side from the same place to Bayonne and San Vicente de la Barquera. Great Trip. We still ride out together, she and me, but not on such demanding trips. yes, I’ll get to it . . . your bike looks exactly like mine, so its actually 1994! Yours looks good, just like mine. I’m now 78 and don’t look too bad either.

sputnik
    Free Member

Wow Pescadoro, that is an amazing story!! Glad to hear you are still riding and enjoying your P7. A true inspiration.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘How old is my Orange P7 ?’ is closed to new replies.