Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • how old is my heckler?
  • lorax

I just bought a second-hand heckler on eBay – I went for a ride last night and I’m very pleased with it. I’d really like to know a bit more about the specs, but despite quite a bit of hunting around online I can’t work out how to identify which version it is.

If anyone can offer any thoughts I’d be very grateful, especially in terms of the amount of travel, appropriate fork/shock upgrades etc I’d be very grateful.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

2007 the gussets on the head tube are the clue added after 06 ish. Possibly into 08 but the mk6 appeared in 09 I think.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

It’s an earlier one my 2009 had a curved rear triangle and no brace at the headtube.

flyingmonkeycorps

It’s a 2005-2006. If I had to guess a year I’d say 2005, pretty sure mine was a 2006 and the headtube gusset was more “internal”.

scruff
    Free Member

Thats an earlier one, possibly US made. The later Hecklers had a smaller headtube gusset.

US made early model

Late model Taiwan made

dantsw13

I would say early 2007 or before. The curved swingarm first appeared in 2007. I had one exactly like it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

flyingmonkeycorps – Member
    It’s a 2005-2006. If I had to guess a year I’d say 2005, pretty sure mine was a 2006 and the headtube gusset was more “internal

Im sticking with 07 the 06 didn’t have the head tube plates. I had one, the missus had an 07 in red which matches the pic my next one was 09 and was the updated mk6 with different hanger and back end look.

flyingmonkeycorps

mikewsmith – Member
    flyingmonkeycorps – Member
    It’s a 2005-2006. If I had to guess a year I’d say 2005, pretty sure mine was a 2006 and the headtube gusset was more “internal

Im sticking with 07 the 06 didn’t have the head tube plates. I had one, the missus had an 07 in red which matches the pic my next one was 09 and was the updated mk6 with different hanger and back end look.

Pretty sure the ones that came out in 2007 had the newer shape and curvy swingarm. Mine was a 2006 (I think actually originally bought early 2007) and had the internal headtube gusset:

The earlier (as mentioned US made ones) had the “welded over” gussets, as per the OP – so 2005 and earlier. In fact looking at the Santa Cruz page, the shape of the gusset looks like it could be a 2003:

2003 Heckler review

lorax

Thanks everyone! I just found this Bike Radar review from ‘8 years ago’ (it doesn’t give a date) and the picture looks just like mine.

That review says it’ll take a 6″ fork, but the spec on the right hand side says a max of 130mm – does anyone know the correct answer?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Pretty sure the ones that came out in 2007 had the newer shape and curvy swingarm. Mine was a 2006 (I think actually originally bought early 2007) and had the internal headtube gusset:

This is where it gets harder as sc don’t really do years. The missus had the one from 07 which was an evolution of my 06 it was later when the curved swingarm came in… In the airport s can’t pop downstairs and get a pic. In the end the serial number should confirm everything.

lorax

ah, that’s a good idea – I guess I could just email SC with the frame number – dim of me not to think of that earlier 🙂

sturmeyarcher

It looks exactly the same as my 2003 model that’s still going strong. Welds, gussets, swing arm all match. Great bike.

sturmeyarcher

If it is that model then it’s 5″/130mm rear travel. I’ve got 130mm forks on it which feel just right.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

that’s a 2004 iirc – 2006 Heckler.

chowmein
    Free Member

Lorax mind me asking how much you paid, I will shortly be selling a similar Heckler. Mine is 05 and the frame looks almost identical. Mine has a 2012 RP23 shock and Fox 36rc forks with Hope and shimano XT kit.

At a guess I was thinking around the £300 to £350 mark.

lorax

chowmein – I paid £750 which is in line with what I’ve seen others go for. If you want to sell yours for £350 I’ll buy it from you this afternoon 🙂

I’d certainly be interested in your forks, and perhaps shock too, if you’re splitting…

chowmein
    Free Member

They are awesome downhill bikes but I am getting old and need something more XC with big wheels 🙂 Doubt I would bother splitting but will let you know if I do.

johnnystorm

If it’s like my Chameleon then the first two digits of the serial number are the year it was made (iirc).

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

If it’s like my Chameleon then the first two digits of the serial number are the year it was made (iirc).

pretty sure it was the same for my Nomad too.

lorax

Thanks for all the input everyone – I knew the STW collective would be able to help!

Good tip on the frame number! Mine starts with 06, which sounds right

I’m really impressed by the bike – it’s clearly quite old but feels incredibly well put together, and was a pleasure to ride last night. I have a slightly older Superlight which climbs better and feels more agile, but this was more solid and stable. I assume a newer bike would feel even better, but for someone at my (pretty feeble) skill level this is more than enough.

boobs

I have an 06 Heckler frame (new bearings)with an rp23(serviced 6 weeks ago) and some 36’s or sectors if there is any interest?

lorax

Any other thoughts on fork travel? Is 150mm too much for one of these?

dantsw13

My 2006/7 Heckler had 150 Revs and was ace!!

hando
    Free Member

looks like a heckler 5.0 which ran from 2001 – 2007, you can tell from the mech hanger.

the 6.0 came out late 2007 and had a different mech hanger

lorax

Thanks guys. Anyone have any views on how a 140/110 Talas would suit it?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I ran 140/150 on mine but as 140-160 can be the same A2C then it’s all relative.

chowmein
    Free Member

Was going to sell my heckler to a biking buddy for 300 – 350 but OP suggested its worth more. I have no idea really, it was bought for £2,800 in 2004. what do you think ?

tpbiker
    Free Member

worth more than 350 quid I’d say. Would be surprised if you didn’t get 500 for it easily…

lorax

I’d have thought more like £600+, assuming it’s all in good working order

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘how old is my heckler?’ is closed to new replies.