How old are your Ron Hills?

Home Forum Chat Forum How old are your Ron Hills?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • How old are your Ron Hills?
  • Lionheart

I reckon there are a couple of pairs here going on 20 years, my wife remembers them from 'before married' – a very long time ago, and they are worn at least a couple of times a week for over half of the year on bikes, running and in kayaks or under mountain trousers in the hills….. but can any one explain why they seem to shrink after 15 years!?! ( and no I am not any bigger)

petrieboy

my "new" ones are at least 8 years old! the ones with the most paint on them are much much older!

mattsccm

1983 and going strong

Junkyard

mine ar about 10 years biksters but getting a bit baggy /saggy good to know they will fit in another few years again and No I have not shrunk
    Fantastic piece of kit

twosheds

I have a pair that are nearly 10 years old and still going…..

Can anyone beat that?

rogerthecat

Checked the photo album and was wearing them in the Polaris in 1994 and they are still going strong, must make them harder to dispose of than nuclear waste!!

Premier Icon pypdjl
    Subscriber

Bah, I have some bikesters that are barely 3 years old with a big hole in the arse.

desf

I have a pair from 1988. Small hole in the knee but still usable.

zaskar rider

mine are only 15 years old… but look like new
    as i dont wear them much….my wife of 12 years doesnt like the look of them…
    thinks they belong in a 118 add !!

Ti29er

There was a time, way-back-when, almost no one knew about them bar the running community and the Army.
    Mine are at the back of my socks drawer and must be circa 1986.

surfer

I have a pair from 1988. Small hole in the knee but still usable.

I have a pair (which I never wear cos they are white!!) which I got from the Ron Hill shop in Bolton about 1986.
    Not sure it counts as they have just been in "storage" as oppose to being worn.
    Up until a few years ago I was running circa 70 MPW and mine still used to last years!

DrJ

Pretty impressive for a garment to be ugly and unfashionable for 2 whole decades. Even flares keep coming into style more regularly than that!

Keva

Ron Hills… hah ha ha ha… !!

There's a guy at work who where's 'em commuting, always makes me snigger.

Why do they last so long, What are they made of ?

Kev

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Mine are mid-90s. They don't get much wear these days though.

"Ron Hills" was rhyming slang among my friends for a while, when our chief interests were hillwalking and raving.

Surfr

Combine them with a helly hansen polypro stripy sleeved top to complete the look.

cynic-al

Ron Hill + bicycle = CRIME OF HIGHEST ORDER

RooleyMoor

mine are about 10yrs old too and still going strong.

aviemoron

Topical thread for me! Just got back into running and much to my wifes horror, I have dug out my old blue/red stripe Ron Hills from about '88!

racing_ralph

they are the worst trousers in the world – should be banned. anyone who thinks that they look remotely good in them is deluded!

Premier Icon Tracey
    Subscriber

1987 and still going strong

Tracey

surfer

they are the worst trousers in the world – should be banned. anyone who thinks that they look remotely good in them is deluded!

Very practical for running though, which is err.. what they were designed for, not fashion.

Premier Icon glenh
    Subscriber

Mine are so old, I've no idea how old they are!

cynic-al

But surfer, it is possible to have function and form, & not look like a tramp.

racing_ralph

Bloke in my village wears them and sandals – looks like a fell running santa!

Worn by fat blokes that taper in like a triangle ime!

whats wrong with them? Dont look any worse than full length bibs, and means i can buy 2-3 sets of bib shorts and use them al year round rather than having to buy another 2-3 sets for the winter 🙂

They only look bad if your fat!

Junkyard

Does any roadie outfit look GOOD?
    Would anyone wear any of it to the pub or frankly anywhere off the bike??
    Superb for cycling though tight fitting water repellent, dry quickly and fairly cheap whats not to like?

Marmoset

I reckon mine are about 22 years old, used heavily for rowing in and then get the odd bike ride now and then.

I think they're made of the same material as cockroach shells – after a nuclear blast all you'll see left is cockroaches and ronhills 😀

boblo

Ron Hills are the best outdoor trews in the world – FACT!

Climbing, hillwalking, biking, running, dossing…. you name it, they do it. Yeah they look crap but who cares? £10 a pair and as said above, they last for years. Stretchy, comfy, quick drying and light. Beat that… 🙂

cynic-al

IMO if you come from a cycling background they just look "wrong" on a bike.

Roadie outfits look right…on road bikes.

boblo – Member

Stretchy, comfy, quick drying and light. Beat that…

Easy…anything else looks better.

surfer

But surfer, it is possible to have function and form, & not look like a tramp.

If you mean fashion, (as they do have function and form) then maybe. However he designed them for running and they are unsurpassed IMO for running when it is cold (not wet) The fact that they look stupid when you are standing around in them is neither here nor there.
    Its surprising that other manufacturers have not matched them for simplicity and price (around £10 online)
    They do what they say on the tin. Typical of Ron Hill, a superb athlete.

therealhoops

My Bikesters must be atleast 10years+

cynic-al

as they do have function and form

Everyon agrees they look crap.

they are unsurpassed IMO for running when it is cold (not wet)

Ah ha! Decent bike tights (roubaix fabric etc) are warm when wet. I win!

monkeychild

I think Ron Hills are a great creation. Yes you look stupid but I am sorry some of the blokes I see in the latest "fashionable cycle gear" look bloody stupid too lol. They do exactly what they are meant to and i happy with that. I think some people have some major insecurity issues and need to live the function over form dream 😛

surfer

as they do have function and form

Everyon agrees they look crap.

Designed for running.

they are unsurpassed IMO for running when it is cold (not wet)

Ah ha! Decent bike tights (roubaix fabric etc) are warm when wet. I win!

You run in roubaix tights when it is not raining?

cynic-al

surfer, my point is about cycling.

woodsman

Are Ron Hills, those baggy lycra longs folk used to wear with trainers – pre SPD era!?

😉

Premier Icon CheesybeanZ
    Subscriber

got a pair thats 15+ years old and a newer pair only about 8 years old

if thier good enough for the Royal Marines thier good enough for me 😀

sv

Also very comfy under motorcycle leathers. Mine about 15yrs old still plenty of life left too.

Ti29er

I got mine out and they still fit!
    With the HH supaLifa Wear striped top, it sure takes me back, mostly to BAOR in 1983-87.
    Not sure they're suitable to be seen on a bike but I rather like the idea that they should be worn with sandals. How about off-white sports socks too?
    It's what every well dressed 45+yr old is wearing in town this weekend!

Premier Icon BigDummy
    Subscriber

IMO, there is a wonderful aesthetic into which Ronhills fit brilliantly well. It is not a fashionable one though, and is flattering only to people who look really quite tough, with odd, stringy walnut brown muscles, and have a 1000 yard stare, grey eyes and crow's feet.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘How old are your Ron Hills?’ is closed to new replies.