Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • how often are you refreshing tyre sealant?
  • joemmo
    Free Member

after one of tyres started failing to hold pressure I took it off to check the sealant (Stans) and found that it was almost entirely gunked around the tyre with just some watery liquid in. It’s probably about 9 months old so I cleaned it out as best as I could (be bothered to) and refilled and re-inflated. Checked the front which was done at the same time and it appeared to be still fresh and entirely liquid.

What sort of intervals are folk refreshing their sealant at then?

sandwicheater

Colder months, check every 4/6 months, this time of year, check monthly as seem to sweat a tad more and more thorns about on the trails.

Sometimes needs a tad more, some times bone dry.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

I still use tubes. And sealant.

New tubes and new sealant: I bike them around half a year and then I add fresh sealant again.

Around one year old tubes I replace then.

joebristol

I’ve changed my tyres twice since last May/June time. Once to put winter tyres on and once to swap back to summer tyres. Both times the sealant still seemed ok. So 6 monthly I guess.

ads678

I really need to check/change mine….been on my solaris for well over a year now!!

deadkenny
    Free Member

You want it coating the tyre inside. Tubeless Ready tyres are porous and it’s coating it because it’s filling air holes. If there’s a bit of liquid left then it’s good for plugging puncture holes (small enough ones).

My test – shake wheel, hear sloshing, no problem. No sloshing, top up.

Occasionally when taking off the tyre I might find a “Stanimal” in there. Then it may be time to clean up, but just remove the lumpy bits and fill. Though most the time I’m removing the tyre to chuck it and replace.

joemmo
    Free Member

thanks – this wasn’t just coating, it had completely coagulated and the only liquid left was grey and watery so not containing much latex so I’m a bit wary using the slosh method as proof of whether it needs a top up or not.

Probably about time I checked my other bike, that hasn’t been done for a year…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘how often are you refreshing tyre sealant?’ is closed to new replies.