Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • How often are you guys washing your commuting kit?
  • STATO
    Free Member

I just wear what I’m going to wear all day. It’s only 5 miles each way. Except in high summer when I wear a t-shirt and a pair of casual shorts and change at work.

See for me this approach leaves me wearing clothes that smell worse than cycling kit. But I sweat a lot so even a casual cycle gets a bit of sweat on and sitting all day having got shirt pits sweaty = stinky. Not to mention sitting in slightly sweaty underwear on a warm day is worse for the undercarridge than putting on dry (but used) cycle shorts.

gowerboy

The question might have been about commuting…. But surely you wash your kit when you need to and if you need to wash it every day that would limit your range somewhat. What makes you wash it more frequently for commuting than other things? Genuine question as I was supprised how clean people seem to be… Or how grubby I must be by comparison!

konabunny
    Free Member

The alldayer/touring comparison doesn’t stand up – if you commute there’s about 12 hours of sweat fermentation time between each wearing of the clothes. That’s different to one continuous usage where there’s air movement and constant fresh sweat

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rp16v
    Free Member

My kit is currentley “fermenting” ready for day 3(last commute day this week) in this kit then its in the wash,
    Thankfully running full gaurds means its allot less road shite to worry about and i get to shower in work every day,dont really get any issues

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

12.5 miles each way 5 days a week. I wash the clothes once a week. The only thing I change midweek is the base layer. I never linger on arrival at work. I rush past reception and hope noone’s caught in my slipstream. I always have a thorough shower after. There is an office down the corridor from the changing rooms where my clothes hang to dry. Don’t think anyone’s complained yet and been doing it for almost 7 years. I think people are far too sensitive about wearing stinky dirty clothes. I wear clean clothes in the office but it’s impractical, wasteful and generally worse for the environment washing every day. Hope you don’t dream of riding the TCR or any other endurance event if you’re a prude.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Washing my kit and not wanting to stink makes me a prude? What an odd thing to say.

TiRed

Every other day except on Tuesdays and Thursdays if I am training as well, whereupon the kit will always need washing!

Socks are merino wool and normally daily.

I always run at least one dedicated bikewear wash per week.

gowerboy

The touring/commuting comparison may not stand up because when touring you often don’t wash much for several days, your kit sits damp in a bag in the vestibule of the tent (tempted to use the old fashioned term bell end of the tent there 😉 ) overnight and things are generally much more grotty…. But nothing bad happens.

This is a silly argument. Wash your kit when you want. That’s not that often for me. Saves electricity and the load on my already overloaded sewage treatment works.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘How often are you guys washing your commuting kit?’ is closed to new replies.