Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • How much would you pay for happiness?
  • muppetWrangler
    Free Member

If there was no alternative then I would definitely be siding with CG and crikey. There are many other things that you might enjoy just as much but from what I can tell a decent electric bike would be ideal for you to carry on doing what you already enjoy, so maybe there is no need to move on to something else just yet.

If it were me I wouldn’t think twice about it, get whatever it is that lets you safely carry on doing what you love doing.

accu
    Free Member

ton…go for it
    a friend of mine bought an e-bike last summer for commuting…
    I didnt thought that it is a good idea for somebody fit and healthy..and still dont think so ..
    but borrowed it from him for a test ride..
    it was real good !!…couldn`t believe it..but it was just a lot of fun
    if I wouldn`t be able to ride my bikes anymore for any reason,
    I wouldn`t hesitate a second..

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I recently suffered a bereavement and it has brought home to me, and all our friends, how important it is not to waste time. Assuming you have the money to do what you want, you have no reason not to.

druidh
    Free Member

Well Tony, it’s a tough one. I can see both sides of the argument.

On the one hand, electric assistance will let you carry on (to some extent) with a hobby you enjoy. Of course it will be a bit more restricted; power:weight ratios will limit the amount of climbing and the bikes aren’t really designed for full-on downhill blasting with all that extra weight on board, but choose the right route and I reckon you could continue to enjoy the outdoors aspect for a while yet.

On the other hand, there are other activities out there. As you know, I only came to biking as I couldn’t manage multi-day walks anymore, but for a long time before the walking, my passion was motorbikes. I reckon you cold find an alternative.

At the end of the day, it’s “only” £3k. As other posters have pointed out, that’s a lot less than some folk pay for a non-assisted bike and there will be some resale value if you really don’t find it works out.

Wookster

Mate I reckon you should give it a go, yeah it’s not the same but if it’s close and the banter and social side is what you’re after then give it a try.

yunki
    Free Member

I used to pay £1.30 with frightening regularity for a pint of sunshine and joy.. 😀

three of these guaranteed happiness.. so at least £3.90, often more if they were going down well..

cinnamon_girl

Thing is, it won’t be ‘the same’ so are you prepared to accept that and compromise? A ‘Plan B’ is definitely required. How about visiting your local library or sports centre to see if they have details of recreational activities in the vicinity?

Another one – any cycling clubs for youngsters that need someone who can do mechanicals/act as a helper or mentor?

Conservation – even if you’re not physically able to participate, how about sharing your knowledge of the areas you’ve ridden in over the years?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Not sure of the whole electric bike look but this has to be worth considering…

Seat post tube mounted motor and bottom bracket drive.

That’s where my money would be going.

Andy-R

From all that you’ve said Tony, I still reckon that you’d find motorcycle trials to be a pretty good substitute for mountain bikes. From my experience, it’s mostly the same sort of people with the same attitudes who just enjoy a laugh and some banter with their mates and then a few beers.
    Agreed, access is more of a problem, which is really why I gave it up in favour of bicycles, but I still reckon that it’s the next best thing (and in some ways even better…)

I was talking about just this very subject with a mate of mine yesterday and he was of the same opinion – that if we couldn’t ride bikes well enough for it to be half enjoyable then we’d go back into trials, probably twinshock/classics.

compositepro
    Free Member

I wondered why you can’t ride but didn’t ( thought better of it) an offload motorbike? Perhaps I know a lot of lads who spend Sundays having just as much fun out in the wilds .personallybe bikes in their current form might not bring you much if any happiness

Solo
    Free Member

i never cycled for the exercise side of it like some blokes do, i dont wanna be the fastest up or the 1st down, i just want to get out in the hills with likeminded people.

^^^^ This is what I found best and how I go about MTB’ing

If electric bikes look like this.
    Then were I considering an E/B.
    I would look into one of these.

http://evworld.com/news.cfm?zid=27915

Ton.
    Explore all options.
    Only then, perhaps, will you either be able to continue, or face moving onto something else.
    Cinnamon Girl’s story is with worth baring in mind, imo.

But I’d explore every option with regard to my current preferrence.
    Like MuppetWrangler pointed out.
    You know what makes you happy, currently.
    So its just a matter of budget.
    If you can’t be Match fit now that this summer is almost upon us (lives in hope).
    Then get an E/B.

Maybe next summer things could be different ?.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

compositepro – Member
    Perhaps I know a lot of lads who spend Sundays having just as much fun out in the wilds .

Alright man, no need to gloat…show some compassion ffs!

toys19
    Free Member

TON to answer the original question. I’ve spent way more than 3k on a bikes, so it’s a no brainer. If it doesnt do it for you then flog it and think again.

turneround

Happiness is a cigar called Hamlet…..( you need to be a certain age to remember this one :))

marsdenman
    Free Member

toys19 – Member
    TON to answer the original question. I’ve You’ve spent way more than 3k on a bikes, so it’s a no brainer. If it doesnt do it for you then flog it and think again.

FTFY 😉

Ton, i’m with CG and her thought about helping out in a related area, like a cycle club.
    Maybe take it a step further and set up a challenge ride – take your pleasure from helping folk enjoy the sport, make it a charitable event = (to me) a double bonus. Take it a step beyond that and make it a weekend long event, including music and beer…. 🙂

nosedive
    Free Member

you can buy a lot of uplift days for 3k, would that help?

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘How much would you pay for happiness?’ is closed to new replies.