Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • How much would a bike shop charge for this service?
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

For my boss – asked me to service his bike as he wanted me to do it rather than the LBS.

Check over & order parts
    Full re-cable brakes and gears
    Full clean & degrease
    Re-grease & tighten headset
    Service and regrease hubs
    Change brake pads Fr & Rr
    Refit with a new saddle (siezed saddle bolt)

Parts were £35
    Labour? Took me around 5 hours in total?

Boss wants to pay me BTW 🙂

khani
    Free Member

Parts and whatever your hourly rate at work is seems fair if he insists on paying you

leggyblonde
    Free Member

£20/hour

£100 seems about right for the amount of work

TheBrick
    Free Member

where I work that would be £100 lab but we would also remove b.b and clean / replace / chase and face as needed and full gear setup, hanger alignment e.t.c.

You obviously don't have the overheads of a bike shops so I'd say £50 is fair if it took you five hours. Surprised chain and cassette did not need replacing considering the suggested time period since last service for the other problems to arise.

DezB
    Free Member

Surprised chain and cassette did not need replacing considering the suggested time period since last service

Maybe he'd only ridden it once ❓

Chris-S
    Free Member

Charge him for the parts

Then get him to 'owe' you on the labour……………………..

You should get a much better deal if he's a good boss!!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Nah 1992 Spesh rockhopper – hasn't ridden it loads & rear casette is not light weight alloy 😉 but hubs needed a clean and regrease (hopefully last another 18 years) and needed new tyres as those were perished. BUt bike in good nick otherwise. Internall BB running v smoothly but front chaingrings were a little warped so needed a bit of straightening 🙂

He didn't want to have to shell out loads for new kit d.t. the age of the bike but the biopace chainset was running well 🙂

Good idea chris 😉

richen987
    Free Member

seriously £20 to fit a pair of tyres!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Depends on the 'boss' I think! If he's a decent bloke like mine is, I'd do it for very little indeed becasue I like messing with bikes a LOT! An ameteur mechanic can't really justify charging £20/hr IMO. I built some wheels for someone on here for £20. It took me about 3 hours to do them. If I'd made £20-£30 on that service, I'd be very happy indeed personally. 🙂

If he's a twunt, sky's the limit! 😉

Drac

Puncture – Hub-gear Rear Wheel £25.00*

😯

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I'd have just cut the brake hoses and said there you go it's on me!

foxyrider
    Free Member

yup 😉

Just showed that to my boss 😉 – I charged him £60 in the end + parts (+ £10 for a tyre I had but didn't use (almost new) and a 2nd hand saddle that was in good nick ) (£95 for the lot) – seemed happy as I said he could barter 🙂

@ PP – nah he's fine – I did say to take it to the LBS as they are pretty good but he said he wanted me to do it and he would pay me 🙂 He rode it yesterday and said it worked well 🙂

nodrog2
    Free Member

That would be £50 labour at our place, £20 for cables, ferrules, ends etc. Then parts on top. So £100 ish sounds about right.

foxyrider
    Free Member

BTW thanks guys 🙂

Jase
    Free Member

They charge £12.50 to fit a bottle cage 😯

Even including time to remove packaging, get allen key from toolbox etc it wouldn't take more than 5 mins which works out at £150/ph labour!!!!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yup – Tip – take it to your INDEPENDENT LBS if you want value to for money no?

gearfreak
    Free Member

£60 labour, plus parts.

davidmoyesismydad
    Free Member

£20.00 for labour tops.

trail_rat
    Free Member

evans charge that because they dont want to do those jobs – it is beneeth them …

frankly they are fairly oversubscribed with work so quite rightly so …

if you need someone to fix a puncture or fit a bottle cage then you should be made to pay for it …..

* id generally have fitted a cage for free if you bought it from me(unless you demanded that i did it for free…… and punctures regardless of rear hub were 10 quid flat fee …

foxyrider
    Free Member

Right Charged £50 for labour (actually thinking about it it took me 2 evenings and Sat morning so 8 hours) and £35 for parts inc. Old saddle and newish tyre and got the parts cheap from CRC (No markup) – felt happier with that and so was my boss 🙂

5lab

Suspension ServicingIncludes cost of seals and oil. Any other parts required will incur additional charges although no further labour charge.

Front Forks £75.00**
    Other Suspension Forks £65.00**
    Rear Shocks £45.00**

'other' suspension forks?? have I been missing something all these years?

MrSalmon
    Free Member

evans charge that because they dont want to do those jobs – it is beneeth them …

frankly they are fairly oversubscribed with work so quite rightly so …

+1

If they actually worked out the cost for these jobs as the appropriate fraction of the hourly labour rate it probably wouldn't be worth doing it, especially if they have plenty of other stuff to do. So it makes sense to charge at a rate that means a) they might actually make some money by doing it, and b) they don't get asked to do it too often.

That said you'd hope there's a bit of leeway for goodwill so they can, say, fix a flat for free for a regular customer who's been caught out.

bassspine
    Free Member

If I'm doing a bike service for friends and neighbours I always barter and not take money. Usual price is 'buy me some beers' I find it works out really well in good will 😉

Obviously this is somewhat different as it's work, I reckon OP's got the balance right.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Got half the cash today 🙂 I think he is using delaying tactics just in case the wheels fall off in the next few days 😉

br
    Free Member

If I liked my boss, I'd do it for free and just charge for bits.

If I didn't like my boss, I'd be too busy, and they'd already know I didn't like them and therefore wouldn't be asking 😉

grizzer
    Free Member

anyone who can't change a tyre deserves to get stung for 20 squid,i still can't beleve people can't do basic maintenance on a bike,i can understand people not being bothered though!

Edric64
    Free Member

There are so many people including those who own very nice bikes who know nothing about cycle maintenance.I have always done mine since getting my first new bike at 14 .Started with Richards Bicycle book anyone else remember that?

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

Evans pricing is a total ripoff. Particularly as all the bikes I see through my workshop with their stickers on need to be properly adjusted.
    I've even had some with uncut brake hoses wrapped around the headtube!
    I need to review my pricing.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘How much would a bike shop charge for this service?’ is closed to new replies.