Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • How much to re-lay our drive?
  • Tiboy

Before we get the local boys in to quote it would be good to get a rough idea of costs, so if anyone has some recent experience, or is in the trade I’d appreciate your feedback.

Driveway is 5x6m square(ish) currently about 8inch deep gravel which is a right pain to drive on, so we’re looking to replace with tarmac or concrete with embedded chippings, or somethign similar. There is a retaining wood wall which would need reaplcing with something more substaintial and there is not real hardocre underlayer.

Any ideas on cost?

lucien

Cash or cheque?

Tiboy

Won’t be doing a sideways deal, happy to buy materials direct if that helps though.

watsontony
    Free Member

i would guess about 800-1000 not included materials. depends wear abouts in the country you are tho.

CountZero

The local boys’ll quote you £300, and charge £3000. 😈

footflaps

I’m sure some local people of no fixed abode can dump some tarmac on top of the gravel for only a few £k. Should have weeds growing back through it within a few weeks 😉

qwerty
    Free Member

Whell…

geoffj

Are you allowed to replace a permeable surface with an impermeable one?
    It’s be worth checking.

qwerty
    Free Member

Specific rules apply for householders wanting to pave over their front gardens.

You will not need planning permission if a new or replacement driveway of any size uses permeable (or porous) surfacing which allows water to drain through, such as gravel, permeable concrete block paving or porous asphalt, or if the rainwater is directed to a lawn or border to drain naturally.

If the surface to be covered is more than five square metres planning permission will be needed for laying traditional, impermeable driveways that do not provide for the water to run to a permeable area.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/pavingfrontgarden/

flibrose
    Free Member

You could remove about 5 inch of the gravel and replace with concrete. You would be looking at approximately 4 cubic metres of concrete which would cost anywhere from £125 – £180 per cubic metre depending on the strength of concrete you order. The remaining 3 inch of gravel could be used as hardcore. If you ordered the concrete from someone like Barrowmix they would barrow the concrete into the area for you if you felt like laying the drive yourself. This comes as part of the price from this type of company

wrightyson
    Free Member

If you’re paying 180 a cube I think the gypos would be cheaper 😯

enfht
    Free Member

De do dat don’t dey.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Driveway is 5x6m square(ish) currently about 8inch deep gravel which is a right pain to drive on,

You are:
    A) Driving a classic truck with no power steering.
    B) Physically disabled or injured in some-way that impairs your mobility with relation to driving.

Tiboy

Good to see the STw spririt of ill informed comments isn’t dead!

The gravel in question was put down by the previous owners and is very coarse, thus preventing any sort of compaction, thus being very easy to bed into. Its not an issue of sterring on it, as we just reverse onto the area off the road.

The other consideration when moving away from gravel is the local cats and I suspect dog walkers, leave presents ha;f buried in the gravel, not pleasant with a 2 year old!

And yes, I am assuming it is the dog that is doing the business, not the dog walkers themselves…

globalti
    Free Member

True story: some “gentlemen” came to our factory about 17 years ago offering to tarmac our nearly-finshed car park for “fify pounds, the yard”. Our factory manager agreed and was shocked to be presented with a bill for £3500. When he asked why they replied: “fifty pounds the yard, times so many square yards!”

Police were called but could do nothing as no crime, just a misunderstood civil contract. Negotiations got it down to £500 but cashiers didn’t have enough in the petty cash box so the receptionist had to do a bing-bong and ask any employees with cash to bring it to the reception desk.

Factory manager very red in face but kept job as chairman nearly died laughing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘How much to re-lay our drive?’ is closed to new replies.