Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • How much to have a tooth out?!?!
  • core

I had an extraction earlier, rearmost tooth on top left, had grown too long due to not having a mate in the bottom and was starting to cause gum pain at times.

Extraction itself was very straightforward and completely painless, including the local anaesthetic. I’ve been with the same dentist (Driller to friends) my whole life and know him well, he used to play keyboard in my uncle’s band……

He sold out to a national firm a few years ago but still works at the practice 3 or 4 days a week, I stay with him as he’s always been good, did my crowns (biking accident – front teeth aged 10), and knows my dental history without consulting the records. But I never know if it’s NHS, private, part NHS, or what the score is these days.

Anyway , I got to reception after the extraction, had been in the consulting room no more than 15 minutes – £150!

Wrong forum – muppet.

simon1975

If it’s a steel ring just bend it back and forth to work it loose. If it’s alloy just snap it off.

rocketman
    Free Member

NHS £50
    Private £80

fifeandy
    Free Member

Had a wisdom tooth out last year – pretty sure it was ~£15

jamiep
    Free Member

My Granddad would pull his bad ones out with pliers. He has three left

bikebouy
    Free Member

Is this a game?
    £350 and a stern grimace from the Dental Nurse

Cougar

NHS pricing is (or was last time I went) broadly “small jobs / medium jobs / big jobs”. Pricing is something like 20 quid, 50 quid and a couple of hundred. An extraction would be the middle one so 50 quid.

ceepers

If you are an NHS patient then £53.90

If he charged you £150 then you aren’t nhs and you live i’m guessing somewhere in the south east/ an expensive area? Private fees vary according to location and the type of practice it is

Either that or you’ve paid a premium for it being an unscheduled emergency treatment.

It does sound a little steep – its £80 ish privately in a general practice around here. You should really have had an estimate telling you of the charges beforehand. If the practice is part of a chain then they not him will set the prices

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

NHS is around £65 ( I was at one yesterday, so know this!!)

ceepers

No it’s not, its a band 2 nhs treatment which is £53.90

“The dental charge for a band 2 course of treatment will increase by £2.60 in 2016 to 2017, from £51.30 to £53.90, and by £2.40 in 2017 to 2018, from £53.90 to £56.30”

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/nhs-dental-charges-from-april-2016

gonzy
    Free Member

ive had 2 taken out after they broke…first one was done for free (i work at a university and the dentistry school offers free emergency treatment as long as you dont mind having it done by a supervised student)…i was lucky to get this done for free as the tooth they removed (the student couldnt get it out so the supervisor had to do it by climbing on top of me!!) was an upper rear molar near the nasal cavity…the surgeon then came down to stitch my gum up to seal the hole
    second one was done by the family dentist (mad turkish guy who didnt anaesthetise me properly)…charged me £49 for the pleasure!!

ransos
    Free Member

My wisdom tooth extraction was free. If you have it done at a dental hospital rather than your surgery, there is no charge, and they will probably do a better job.

iolo
    Free Member

I’ve just had 2 root canals and 6 fillings for free in Austria. Just the basic health insurance payment of 99 euro a month which covers all health care.
    I haven’t got a dentist so hadn’t been for a very long time as the last one in the uk broke my jaw leading to 6 operations and 8 weeks of liquid diet.
    I got an appointment the next day without trouble.
    Someone who needs a lot doing might be better off going on holiday to a country who has a health system that works and have an “emergency” on a EHIC card.

Merak

I had root canal today. Feeling rather sorry for myself now. I’m sure waterboarding is more fun.

milky1980
    Free Member

What ransos said. Had one removed last week at the University Dental Hospital and was offered either chargeable or free if I let a student ‘have a go’ 😯

I was in so much pain I just said yes and it was done really well! The teacher dentist was also very pretty 8)

paulneenan76
    Free Member

It’s £53.90. I had it a few weeks ago and still fills me with dread.

core

The procedure itself was fine, painless, straight forward, no unexpeted after effects, really happy with the treatment, but was it worth all but £100 more than if I was with an NHS dentist – I suspect not.

I’m going to have to have the matching tooth on the other side out within 12 months I’m sure, so I’ll re-asses my options.

My dentist just used a little bent pry bar type thing to get this one out, but talking to a friend he said the last tooth he had out, they drille dinto the middle, then threaded an expanding bung thing in which broke the tooth in 4. They then just pulled the bits out – sounds grim!

mrtickle
    Free Member

Similar to Ransos, I had a wisdom tooth out recently and was amazed to find that it was free. This was at my normal surgery but with the dental surgeon rather than my normal dentist.

sideshow
    Free Member

I’m sure waterboarding is more fun.

Waterboarding at Guantanamo Bay sounds super rad if you don’t know what either of those things are

(credit: reddit)

jam-bo

I’ve just had 2 root canals and 6 fillings for free in Austria. Just the basic health insurance payment of 99 euro a month which covers all health care.

so, not free then?

i’ve just had four fillings done in two appts for a one off £53 payment.

ceepers

i’ve just had four fillings done in two appts for a one off £53 payment

and that in a nutshell is why dental practices struggle to provide a high quality service on a totally nhs basis!

jam-bo

I’ve had plenty of 3min ‘check-ups’ at £19.70 to make up for it. The one prior to this where they missed some fairly major problems that got sorted out this time.

chewkw
    Free Member

Less than £60 the last time I had extracted …

iolo
    Free Member

99 euro a month which covers all health care

so, not free then?

OK, you got me. It’s a salary deduction. Like NI contributions but much less. So you’re right, not free but a hell of a lot less than the UK.

ceepers

@jambo which kinda proves the point that being forced to do check ups in 5 mins to keep the practice afloat and balance out the costs of actually providing treatment is not a good thing. Which is why lots of dentists go private – provide a higher quality of care to a smaller quantity of people instead of quantity of people seen being the important thing.

slackalice
    Free Member

Unfortunately, the masses are still wired towards a fee per item, which tends to be all about the affect, rather than the cause, or rather, prevention of the cause.

But Im a capitation fan and believe it needs to applied to all primary healthcare. Buy time, buy education, buy prevention.

ceepers

Sadly the government is rather wired to fee per item as well!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘How much to have a tooth out?!?!’ is closed to new replies.