Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • How much to fit a wood burner/ multi fuel stove?
  • Nibsy
    Free Member

From all the posts on here I know many of you have wood burners or multi fuel stoves so how much is a reasonable price for fitting?

I’ve been told it’s 2 days work as the old coal fire and back boiler need removing, though the back boiler is already disconnected plumbing wise. The old fire place ripped out and new hearth, mantle etc installed.

Been quoted £900 which seems a bit steep to me for 2 days work, especially when they’re already charging £150 more for the stove than most other places and I guess have similar high profits on the mantle, hearth, fittings etc.
    So… how much did you pay or think is reasonable?

wrightyson
    Free Member

I paid 1100 for stove, twin wall flue, internal (black painted flue), register plate, cowling, and labour. Could have done it myself as I’m a builder but I thought id let someone else fanny around on the roof and also the fact id get a nice hetas certificate just in case it burnt the house down!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Oh and is the 900 just for labour, if so yes its v expensive even if based on two men!!!!!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Nibsy
    Free Member

£1100 all in, seems £900 for labour only is steep, we’re talking close to £3500 all in for me and it’s not a mega expensive stove like some I’ve seen.

Nibsy
    Free Member

Wish I was on their hourly rate even if it is 2 men.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Individual fitter or company, and where abouts are you. If the midlands I can highly recommend the guy a few of us have used, he also supplies stoves.

Nibsy
    Free Member

That’s from a company with showroom etc who work with a fitter, I’m up in Fort William, Scottish Highlands so there’s a few companies up here doing it. Its the first quote I’ve managed to get so hopefully one of the others will turn out more reasonable.
    Just the normal problem I have of getting people out or to call me back to quote for the job, there’s meant to be a recession on but most of the tradesmen I contact can never be bothered to turn up once arranged or even just to call me back.

wallop

We took the back boiler out ourselves – it’s a piece of wee wee. We then put it in the front garden, ready to take it to the tip, and within 1 day someone scavenger had taken it! Win!

We spent about £650 on our stove. The labour to install it was £850 – this included supplying and fitting the flu. It’s one day, for two guys. We got a few quotes and they were all pretty much the same. We live in Bristol, which is a smoke controlled zone, so you can only have DEFRA-approved stoves installed and they need to be installed by a certified installer who will test the stove and provide a certificate.

On top of those two costs we paid a builder to line the fireplace with fireproof board, and we got a mate to make us a nice slate hearth.

I love our stove. Best bit of dollar we ever spent.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Its big business at the moment for sure, our local showroom type place, had a flash new unit built a couple of yrs back and when they quote prices like yours you can u derstand why!!!! Oh and I’m with wallop, out of everything we’ve spent on our house, its the best thing we’ve bought!!

bedmaker

charging £150 more for the stove than most other places

Bonk??

Nibsy
    Free Member

Nope not Bonk a.n. other Inverness company, I’ve yet to get a quote from Bonk. but I know the stoves Bonk recommend are nearly double the price of the stove I have been quoted for.
    If i know the labour costs are reasonable I’m willing to try and negotiate them down saying I can get it elsewhere cheaper but its hard to get prices for the exact same hearth and mantle. Just makes me think if they’re making £150 more on the stove alone than other companies are making profit on they’re probably making similar high amounts on everything.

Pogo
    Free Member

£1480 all in for me with Hetas cert, fitted in a two storey terrace in a day, and that was a year and a half ago. The Wife just commented the other day that it’s the best thing we’ve done to the house.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Can’t help on the price as I got a Clearview Vision 500 on ebay for £750. Completely stripped it, wire brushed and resprayed it, fitted new fire bricks and door seal and it looks like new. Fitted it myself (flue not lined yet but will be sometime) and agree with everybody else, one of my better decisions.
    It’s changed the way we use our house in the winter and probably saved us £500-£1000 in oil this winter alone.

nickf
    Free Member

I looked at the £1600 I was quoted and thought it was a lot, but when you take out the cost of the chimney liner (tall 3 story Victorian house so a looooong pipe), the work done on the chimney (out was a bit loose at the top and needed some re-mortaring), and the scaffolding, it all seemed quite reasonable. Took 2 blokes 2 (very) full days, and they weren’t stopping for tea breaks.

I love our log burner.

Edukator
    Free Member

The need for certificates and to use qualified personel is soemthing of an urban myth and has no influence on insurance unless a legal requirement for private householders IME. If you have memebers of the pulic on the premises then there’s a host of mainly EU inspired rules to comply with but otherwise you can do most things, professional checking and certification being required for very few. Gas and electricity before the meter being the main exceptions.

Before doing work I check with my insurance broker and in the case of the wood burner there was no obligation to have the work carried out by a professional or get any kind of certificate. I simply had to comply with legislation, rules about distances from anything inflamable, the plinth under the stove, the height of the chimney and the materials used, but so long as I complied with those my insurer was quite happy for me to do the work. Ask.

700e for the Jotul, about 100e for the rigid stainless chimney insert, 80e for the adjustable enameled stove pipe, 20e for a sheet of 2mm steel to make up the adaptors, and about 40e of welding gas and fittings

sharkbait
    Free Member

The need for certificates and to use qualified personel is soemthing of an urban myth

Good point. You don’t need a certificate for an open fire which is effectively no different (except that the flu gasses are hotter in the latter).

Dobbo

I did mine myself, took the old open fire out bought the flue and connectors on internet for a good price, got the stove from a local showroom who price matched (they thought I was going to buy the flue as well I think). I fitted it with my next door neighbour in one day with a hired roof ladder. Easy to do and I got the building inspector round and got building regs on it. The only other cost was some beer and the cost of the meal we cooked our neighbours!

The roof parts a bit jiggery pokery taking the chimney off, but I re cemented the ridge tiles down while I was up there, a nice job to do all-round.

As far as I’m aware you defo do need regs or HETAS cert from about 2000.

Dobbo

All stove installations now come under building control, the following will give the basics for stove requirements. It is not intended to be a complete explanation and if in doubt reference should be made to ‘The Building Regulations 2000 Approved Document J Combustion Appliances and Fuel Storage Systems 2002 Edition’ or the building control department of your local council.

Helios
    Free Member

We got ours fitted with double walled flue liner, all the internal gubbins and chimney shenanigans and microfil backfil in the chimney for £1900 a few months ago. The stove was about £550. Around Cambridge though which makes prices a bit over inflated.

Nibsy
    Free Member

Seems I’m deffo being charged to much, stove is £820 but I’ve seem it cheaper elsewhere, Slate Hearth £600, Mantle £600, Liner £340, Register, extension pipe etc £180 then Labour alone £900.
    They also don’t sweep the chimney I’ll have to get someone else in to do that.

Dobbo

I got the flue and bits from here Fluesystems Loads of places do the stoves online for competitive prices, try to get your local places to come close to them, I took mine away the same day so no delivery for them to worry/charge.

The prices we had to line the chimney with cement or to for a flexible liner were horrendous.

I bonded with my house, roof, chimney and stove the day I fitted it. 😆

Edukator
    Free Member

Hmmm, the man from building regs wouldn’t be happy with a couple of the pics in your link Dobbo. I’m sure the wooden table in the one pic and the thing in the vase in another pic are less than 700mm from the stove. He’d have his tape measure out anyway.

An advantage of doing it youself is that you can devise solutions that make maintenance easy. I can unbolt the whole flue/chimney insert assembly in about half an hour on my own.

mountainman123
    Free Member

1.5 days work for men, 1 builder @ £160 a day and a labourer @ £50 a day so im guessing max labour price should be around £350.
    Got a guy that can do it if you are struggling depends were you are in the country. he did mine for me.

Dobbo

Hmmm, the man from building regs wouldn’t be happy with a couple of the pics in your link Dobbo.

Funny thing was, when he came round to do ours I don’t think he had done a regs for an individual before, most people don’t bother or get a HETAS install. I was telling him what to look at, “There’s the install plate, no vent hole require less than 5Kw….” I’d looked so much into it I knew it all backwards by the end. He signed it off and made a sharp exit.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘How much to fit a wood burner/ multi fuel stove?’ is closed to new replies.