Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • How much technology do you ride with?
  • Mister-P
    Free Member

I have to admit to being a bit of a luddite and all this talk of Strava and whatever is both confusing and a little intimidating. I have a very basic computer on my road bike mainly so I can tell what the time is on my commute to work. My MTB has no electronics on it at all, I just ride it and enjoy whatever speed I go at. Am I alone in this? Am I missing out?

Daffy

A watch….

andycs

Mobile phone with Strava now and again.

LoCo
    Free Member

Phone

Northwind

I tend to run Strava now on my phone but that doesn’t make any difference when I’m riding, it just goes in my bag or pocket. Other’n that, just the bike.

stevied
    Free Member

Just my mobile with Sports Tracker running to see how far/fast/high etc..

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Phone (off) for my use in emergency and watch. A key reason for riding for me, it the peace and quiet and break from the crap that everyday brings. Why take it with you. Plus I actually like map reading!!

Made the mistake of not turning phone off yesterday evening and stopped to take a bloody PPI nuisance call.

makeitorange
    Free Member

I ride with a cheap Casio watch, my phone with Strava and, if it’s a long ride, a ‘juice pack’ portable battery charger for my phone. Really fancy one of those Garmin’s which has a map on the screen like a car Sat Nav, but can’t justify the £££s.

rocketman
    Free Member

Phone (off) for my use in emergency

Yup that’s all

fathomer

I always wear a watch and take my phone, my phone usually has strava running.

vinnyeh

Garmin 800, but rarely use the OS mapping- either follow a gpx, or paper mapping, just use the Garmin for ride logging, but cba uploading the ride details.
    Phone.
    Lumen Liberator.

jekkyl

your bike is a pretty awesome piece of technology, if you think about all what goes on to machine the parts, put them together, deliver them to the shop where you pick it up.

njee20
    Free Member

I’m a technology geek, so always have my Garmin on, with the Powertap on the road, and always upload to Strava. I like having numbers to look at, even though they’re a good chunk lower than they used to be!

danielgroves
    Free Member

My phone with Strava running in my bag, thats it.

I don’t use to compete, just to monitor my own riding progress etc and for checking how far I’ve gone etc afterwards. If I’m going somewhere where I’ll need to navigate I take a good old-fashioned OS map and compass with me.

allthepies
    Free Member

Phone running either Endomondo or Strava.

And a watch attached to my backpack chest-strap.

For routes I don’t know well then a Satmap also.

thomthumb
    Free Member

recording everything via strava gives me something to aim for and makes me ride more.

This must be a good thing…

ir_bandito
    Free Member

On maybe 75% of rides at the moment, I’m using a secondhand smartphone running mmtracker for navigation, but I’m also uploading the recorded GPX files to strava as a genuine training tool for me to monitor my progressas I’m training for the LEL.

To add complexity though, it’s powered by my dynamo hub (in daylight, it powers the lights at night obviously)

I always have my proper phone with me, for emergencies.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Mobile phone with endomondo running.
    Nexus 7 with Strava running.
    Sigma HRM.
    Powertap.
    Bike computer with cadence.
    Rampant Rabbit.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

You’re kidding! Half the members on this site consider a freehub and gears too much technology.

Garmin Dakota with OS mapping here, as a bike computer and way of marking trails I want to explore on another day, and for logging routes.

….plus full compliment of gears, brakes and a clutch mech.

cheez0
    Free Member

27 gears and pneumatic tyres

composite
    Free Member

Mobile for emergencies.
    Garmin 800 for ride logging and mapping for when it’s a new route.
    Lights if i’ts going to get dark while I’m out.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Not much to be honest.

When I’m on the road bike, I use my phone (mapmyrun) to record my distance, speed etc. I only use that app because I use it to track all of my training type exercise.

When I’m on the mountain bike, I have the phone with me but only for emergencies…I don’t track those rides because I spend too much time mucking about and sessioning / riding the same stuff multiple times.

jameso

Electonic geekery on bikes makes owning a horse instead seem appealing. I’d rather shovel it’s poo than faff around with a PC to ‘add to’ my riding.

Yes I do get lost more than many riders, but I also find loads of trails and link-ups )

(I fitted a bike computer recently as I needed it for route cue tracking, that’s going far enough)

tomhoward

Smartphone with Strava (often forget though)
    Basic HRM
    Computer on the road bike
    Next bike purchase will be a Lapierre spicy with all the ‘leccy shock gubbins…..

Want a road bike with ‘leccy gears too 😳

roverpig

Garmin 800, with OS maps. It’s got me out of trouble on a few occasions when I’ve gone off exploring an interesting looking trail and got myself totally lost.

Euro
    Free Member

Occasionally a phone for timekeeping and taking the odd picture (i ignore calls when i’m out) but generally nothing.

Harry_the_Spider

Phone for emergencies, but I have started logging my rides with Strava.

I used to do it with a Cateye computer and a spreadsheet (I’m a bit of a stats geek).

scruff
    Free Member

I often leave my phone at home and take no water, no pump or anything. I’m so free-spritied, like.

cookeaa

Mobile running Strava and sportstracker;
    on the bars for the road bike, in my bag when MTBing.

I always carry a spare battery too.

Considering asking for a bluetooth HRM for Fathers day, so I can log My HR too.

Not too bothered about the leader boards but keeping logs makes a useful tool for tracking my performance improvement/regression, and I like to be able to see my speed/pace as I ride on the road just to keep me motivated.

joolsburger
    Free Member

A watch.

A map and compass sometimes as don’t fancy breaking the phone but do have one with view ranger on it.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I always have my phone and watch and I normally take my GPS (Bryton 50) with me just so I know how far I have gone. Sometimes, mainly weekends away, I like to take my GoPro too in the hope of getting something like this again.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXsMgfzfgbU[/video]

bigjim

A phone, which still has buttons on it.

bartimaeus
    Free Member

I carry a GPS logger in my pack – it’s a tiny box with an on-off button that logs your ride. When I get home and download it I can see where I’ve been, and can upload to Strava etc – but when I am out riding it tells me nothing. I also carry a phone for emergencies (text = “safe in pub, home by 11pm”).

cakefacesmallblock

Phone, in case of emergency.

Watch, to make sure I don’t miss last orders.

Stoner
    Free Member

no gears, no suspension, £6 for beer. About as techie as I need to be.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

For training/leisure:
    Basic Cateye strada wireless computer
    Polar HRM
    Strava on phone if i remember to turn it on.

Don’t bother with any when racing cx, but use HRM during most running events to pace myself.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Woot! Just got my first KOM!!

🙂

kudos100
    Free Member

I’ve started taking a camera with me as there are so many great opportunities to take pictures.

If I am riding alone I sometimes take an mp3 player. Depends on my mood.

There is something really nice about being away from the technology, but I often take some as it can enhance the ride.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Phone with Strava, hopefully maps on a Garmain 805 shortly.
    GoPro for capturing the fun

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘How much technology do you ride with?’ is closed to new replies.