Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • How much 'stuff' have you got just sat around doing nowt?
  • binners

I’m sure we’re all guilty. Maybe you’ve upgraded then the old stuff is just sat in the garage.

But I’m constantly amazed at the really expensive, quality stuff on the classifieds that’s claimed to have been bought and never used

So fess up. What have you presently got sat around gathering dust in the garage or shed then? Due to a recent house move, and essential clearout, The only thing of any consequence is a Pace RC305 frame hung up forlornly in the shed, a few different stem and bar combos, various sets of pedals, some shifters, god knows how many saddles. I reckon that’s pretty good

So… who’s the worst offender? What have you got? Enough gubbins to build how many complete bikes?

flyingmonkeycorps

The biggest thing I have is a Cove G-Spot frame in lots of little bits in the living room, waiting for me to buy some new bearings and try to sell it.

I have a set of old Hope brakes, couple of saddles, two or three sets of bars, I think two sets of wheels (though one has a wonky freehub and knackered spoke), some tyres, an Mmmbop frame and some Pikes, at least two sets of pedals, some chainrings, a cassette, a chain, a front mech and maybe a rear one, and probably quite a lot of assorted wee little bits too.

**edit** at least two stems too.

That’s quite a lot actually isn’t it! The Ragbop and Pikes will get built up again soonish though, maybe.

crispy
    Free Member

Quiiiite a bit, actually.

One day I’ll get round to a massive clearout…

nedrapier

My pile’s not that bad. New brakes waiting to be fitted. A few sets of tyres which do get put back on now and then. bits for SSing the peregrine, next time I feel like it.

In terms of retired bits: an old truvativ chainset, front wheel: 12 year LX on XC717. not a lot else. BUT. I do have an order in on the 853 PA which is definitely

I’m a bigger offender on the snowboard kit front, all well used though, apart from Burton Driver X boots which I used for 3 weeks and didn’t get on with.

Any takers?!

Tracey

Im guilty. Got enough stuff to build a good quality bike up around a spare Enduro frame and still have loads spare

MadPierre

Loads. Including a fully built Cove Hustler with decent spec!

And it’s not just biking. Also loads of electronic stuff I keep meaning to clear out and ebay….

soobalias
    Free Member

brand new cotic soul (orange)
    Hope headset
    RS Reba RLT Ti 20mmmaxle fingy.

ok so its not actually mine, but its been sat with me since before christmas awaiting a build.

fenred
    Free Member

Yep, built this up a couple of weeks ago from my shed parts bin:

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Couple of frames, three pairs of forks, several brake sets, cranks.
    Three bikes I haven’t ridden in two years, a brand new bike that’s been sat in its box for six months that I haven’t even built yet..really must get round to that :S

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

a riding buddy of mine has 18 (as in eighteen) saddles sat around not used, and all of them quality kit 😯

I’ve got a mixture of deliberately stashed spares (some drivetrain stuff for a trip to verbier this summer, CRC much cheaper than swiss shop), stuff that will be a hassle to post vs their sale value (3 rims), stuff I intend to get around to fitting (2 Silverado saddles), stuff fickle ebayers have returned (some perfectly good Lyriks which will probably get put on the other half’s bike for verbier) and just other random stuff.

Sat in the garden growing moss (garage full, no shed) is my first MTB, a ’94 GT Pantera (same frame as the avalanche of that era) with Project 2 forks on it and actually pretty much a full bike. Got some similar age Pace RC35 forks too, half thinking of building it up into a singlespeed/rigid/retro/pub bike.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

A set of RC38LT’s, a set of 80mm Magura’s, a fixie/SS road bike hack, a road frame, numerous wheels, several disc brakes, hundreds of stems/seatposts etc. I just never get round to it.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Loads of stuff left over from upgrades / failed projects but all of it mismatching so I can’t build anything useful out of it:

Old and battered Gary Fisher 26er HT frame
    Two viable front 26″ wheels and one 29er
    Two non viable rear 26″ wheels and one 29″, all requiring rebuilds / new freehubs
    Two pairs of forks which won’t fit any of my bikes
    A load of bits intended to convert my drop bar RoadRat to gears and discs (bar end shifters, dia compe V levers etc)…all no longer required as I sold the ‘Rat
    A massive pile of tyres
    3 boxes full of other gubbins – bars, stems, brakes, saddles, chainrings, singlespeed stuff etc.

I really need to get shot of most of above but hang on to it with the vague idea of finding the missing bits to build something usable, although given the above parts I can only imagine I’d end up with some sort of mutant frankenbike 69er drop-barred tandem extracycle…

Dibbs
    Free Member

A Mt Vision frame (one of the first batch from 96/97), a pair of Maverick SC32’s (still in the box) FSA K-Force Light BB30 chainset (still in the box),loads of stuff I’ve forgotten about and loads of worn out stuff that should have been chucked out ages ago. 😳

grum
    Free Member

Not that much bike stuff – spare Summer Season frame and some Hope brakes I need to sell. Lots of non-bike stuff though 😳

binners

crashtestmonkey – I built a really nice singlespeed/rigid/retro/pub bike up out of an old GT Timberline of similar vintage, complete with Pace RC36’s and assorted bits knocking around in the shed. Do it! 😀

yunki
    Free Member

not a lot..

I’ve recently built up a bike for Mrs Yunki and a dedicated rigid SS babyseat/trailer bike..

I’m just looking for the right frame at the moment to build something up for my brother.. that should leave the cupboard bare.. (ish)

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ive been giving stuff away to friends recently when they have asked if i have xyz and im not using it

Havnt bought owt new in ages my bikes are as i want them so just clearing the space !

Mates happily riding to work on an ss thorn raven enduro i built him and another came round for a kona mcrae frame and wheels last night that used to be the mrs commuting bike pre road bike !

ourmaninthenorth

Never mind bike stuff, I have 3 dining tables and no dining room FFS..!

Going through a steady clearing of bike stuff. Just sold my old fixie frame. Have various odds and sods to get rid of.

I’ve got a s/h set of Revs I bought off here last year still in their box waiting for me to buy a 20mm front wheel. For my MTB which I haven’t ridden since HTN in 2010…!

donks
    Free Member

One spare front wheel redundant due to bolt through fork upgrade and a pair of brooks grips…..that’s it.
    Oh actually a BMX front brake….but that’s it.

tootallpaul

If anyone has a small laptop (ie 13″) sitting around in the stuff doing nowt, drop me a line…

🙂

buffalobill
    Free Member

Old pair of Fox forks – at what point to they become obsolete/ retro?

therealhoops
    Free Member

If anyone’s got a 20″ frame (pref steel) collecting dust then lettuce know.

ourmaninthenorth

Hold on, is this turning into swap shop?

scaredypants

I don’t get rid of stuff really (have given away a few bits in the past that I later needed so tend to keep bits now)

Waiting for my 2 girls to grow into full-size bikes, then I can start culling stuff a bit

I built up a “spare” (replaced, bit too small) road frame the other day with parts that were lying around – was going to be for my brother but he bought one new instead
    Guess it’ll go on classifieds sooner or later

I also have a cx frame that I could nearly make into a full bike but no stis for it

loads of old parts, still pretty much working I think, including a dura-ace mech from about 30yrs ago

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I could easily build up three bikes and almost build a 4th with the exception of a few bits. Sometimes think about shifting it but can’t be arsed with the hassle of posting it all.

binners

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I’ve got:

A 1995 Mongoose Amplifier frame and forks (the Amp linkage ones),
    An old pair of Manitou forks (SX’s I think),
    A pair of Manitou Splice forks,

And other bits and bobs. I should really get rid of them…

soobalias
    Free Member

i had a big clearout recently.

ok, so it takes an hour or so to list, photo and box everything up but once you accept that its on its way to the bin, its much easier to stick a bargain price on it and it sold on here like hot cakes.

some of it has probably just moved to a different shed tho.

andytherocketeer

A 1996 Scott Vail
    A 1989 Ridgeback Road Bike
    A Mavic Crossride front wheel (also a rear but that’s got a knackered freehub)
    Loadsa computery bits
    oh and a 4.5inch Reflector Telescope + mount.

Really ought to offload them, to make space for more stuff.

Pyro

Same boat as TooTallPaul, if anyone’s wanting to dispose of a decent, working, not-too-slow laptop or netbook… 😉

mboy
    Free Member

When I lost my job last July I sat down and totted up the total value of all the MTB related items I had sat around, doing nothing, no longer going to be used or attached to a bike. And this was a conservative 2nd hand on here or eBay valuation, not brand new rrp… Anyway the figure was about £1400 worth! That included a frame, 2 forks, 2 sets of wheels and various other bits of kit!

Have drastically reduced that figure now, mainly just got a few spare tyres, couple of bits of old 9spd drivetrain (10spd on both bikes now so of no use), some random V Brakes I’ve acquired somehow, couple of saddles, 2 handlebars and that’s about it now… Reckon I’ve got less than £250 worth in 2nd hand value in spares now so been well worrhwhile clearing it all out!

Just got to do the same to the rest of my stuff as I’ve got 2000 odd vinyls I don’t use any more, a complete HiFi setup of decent quality, too many clothes I don’t wear any more (even after 6 bin bag fulls donated to Oxfam last year!), a snowboard I’ve not used in almost 10 years, various computers in various states of fettle I need to sort out, my old MacBookPro which I gave to my dad but he didn’t get on with so I need to sell it on, a pair of Technics SL1200’s and a Pioneer Mixer that I’ll never use again etc… And people used to say to me “Christ you must be rich if you don’t drink or smoke!”… 😕

EDIT: Should add in the Halcyon days of Halfords stock clearances, and knowing various people on various pro teams, I’d often have many thousands of quids worth of bike bits in my possession at any one time purely to sell on eBay… Perhaps the most extreme was 5 sets of 4Ti Eggbeaters (£400 a pop rrp!) all at the same time…

tommid
    Free Member

If any of the above want to get rid of a retro hardtail, i’m interested if its cheap. I want one for kiddy carrying around town duties. So HT with rigid forks would be ace…

Mister-P
    Free Member

I have virtually nothing laying about. Once I have no use for it I sell it and reinvest the money. I think there is a bar and stem under my bed, that is about it.

Toasty

In our random bike cupboard there lives..

2003 21″ Stumpy HT frame
    2006 21″ Be-One Hornet frame
    2008 21″ Commencal Meta 55 frame with RP2
    2008 Float RL fork in grey – reduced to 100mm
    2008 Float RL fork in black
    2007 Suntour X100 forks from a 2007 Avalanche 1.0 (actually not that bad)
    2007ish 3×9 Deore shifters and rear mech
    2011 On-One Reetard/Superlite 29er wheelset
    2009 Specialized Stumpy Elite’s stock wheelset

Quite a few 90mm stems, ~680mm bars, seatposts and saddles.

All the tyres in the world (except the ones I NEED obviously).

ourmaninthenorth

mboy – good work.

Am determined that, while I’ll never achieve such giddy heights of value, the unused stuff can become something useful. Namely, cash.

rocketman
    Free Member

Have not got too much stuff the bikes have been ‘upgraded’ so much that what I have now is a pool of Reasonably Good Parts that I can swap around.

MrsToast
    Free Member

In our random bike cupboard there lives..

2003 21″ Stumpy HT frame
    2006 21″ Be-One Hornet frame
    2008 21″ Commencal Meta 55 frame with RP2
    2008 Float RL fork in grey – reduced to 100mm
    2008 Float RL fork in black
    2007 Suntour X100 forks from a 2007 Avalanche 1.0 (actually not that bad)
    2007ish 3×9 Deore shifters and rear mech
    2011 On-One Reetard/Superlite 29er wheelset
    2009 Specialized Stumpy Elite’s stock wheelset

Quite a few 90mm stems, ~680mm bars, seatposts and saddles.

All the tyres in the world (except the ones I NEED obviously).

Wait, we have a bike cupboard? Because I’m fairly certain the Meta frame and forks are in the living room… 😛

Toasty

Wait, we have a bike cupboard? Because I’m fairly certain the Meta frame and forks are in the living room…

Bah, whatever. You call it the “living room”, I call it the “bike cupboard”.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I’ve got a few things like old chainsets that got retired but I couldn’t quite bring myself to chuck them away for some reason. There’s a couple of wheels that also have something wrong with them but still seem somehow ‘too good’ to chuck away. Also a few tyres which are probably the only things that are ever going to find their way onto a bike again.

ourmaninthenorth

Just realised that I’ve 2 pairs of Oakleys bought from one of those Eyewear Outlet PSAs we had TWO YEARS AGO that are completely unworn and don’t suit me.

Quick, while the sun is shining..!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘How much 'stuff' have you got just sat around doing nowt?’ is closed to new replies.