Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • How much SP41 to order.
  • shredder

Bike not with me. How much roughly for rear gearing and dropper post L hardtail.
    4m ? 6m ?
    Thanks

honourablegeorge

3m is lots, 1500m brake hoses always need trimming

rockthreegozy

4m will be plenty, stock brake hoses are around 170cm on Shimano brakes as a comparison I believe.

thepurist

FWIW I’ve always just gone for a 10m roll – if you maintain your own bikes you’ll get through it sooner or later, and buying a shorter length just means you’re more likely to end up with an offcut that’s too short to be useful.

thisisnotaspoon

FWIW I’ve always just gone for a 10m roll – if you maintain your own bikes you’ll get through it sooner or later, and buying a shorter length just means you’re more likely to end up with an offcut that’s too short to be useful.

This +1

Or at least order a cost effective amount if it’s not freepost.

Now that everything’s continuous outer, thanks ironically to internal cabling, then it’s likley to be ~170cm for the gears and ~120cm for the dropper. So 4m leaves you with an offcut too short for either to be any use.

Speeder

50 Metres – anything shorter and it’s ludicrously overpriced.

Will last you pretty much forever – treat it as an heirloom. ;o)

Wally

Went through this myself. 50m purchased in the end £/m better. Hope to be able to ride long enough to use it up and help mates out.

twonks

Depends how many bikes you do or will end up looking after.

I did the same as the last few posters. Always found myself scrabbling around or ordering a single use kit when servicing / repairing one of the half a million bikes I seem to get stuck with.

Bought a 30m roll of Clarks outer for something like £20 from Amazon and a bag of 100 cable ends and ferules, along with a batch of 20 inner cables for road/mtb.

tall_martin

I’ve had a roll of Clarks for 8 years or so. Plus a massive set of cheap inner cables.

Very convenient. And it has helped me help a bunch of mates out over the years

thisisnotaspoon

n.b. a lot of the benefit comes from sealed cable ends so it’s worth going for at least not the cheapest ones.

Speeder

Just make sure you buy good inner cables that have been wound and ground smooth. If they’ve got a non slip coating that’s even better. it makes quite a difference.

Frustratingly it’s almost cost effective to buy the cable kits Shimano make just so you get decent inners and a limited supply of ferules and cable ends.

b33k34

So what (gear) outer do people recommend? (I’m nearly out of my last roll)
    Also, what are the best cable ends?

Supplier recommendations needed for both – it seems difficult to buy cable ends between small packs (where they’re over £1 a time) and massive pack (expensive and more than will ever need).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.