How much snow before it becomes hard work?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • How much snow before it becomes hard work?
  • FunkyDunc

The last few days I’ve been out in 2″ of snow, or hard compact snow (that’s as fast as summer dry conditions).

Today though there is currently about 9″ and still snowing. Yesterday riding 1ft drifts was pointless, so at what point does it stop being fun and become a chore?

ton

if it is new unridden, i find it ok…..but as soon as someone has walked or ridden on it, it becomes a chore. 10” that is.

rocketman

Generally not a fan of the white stuff at all. For me the novelty wears off after about 10 mins.

Once it starts clogging the vents in one’s crash helmet and setting like concrete in the rear triangle and spokes I CBA

jonba

Depends on the type of snow. Need an inuit to explain. If it is compact then fine as you can ride on top. really light and it offers little resitance. Somewhere in between and 2-3″ can become a slog.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

the worst is soft snow with a layer of ice on top where it’s defrosted in the sun a bit and then refrozen.

you have to really work to move the bike forward against the ice and the tyres just sink past the top layer into soft snow underneath

Premier Icon TPTcruiser
    Subscriber

+1 Ton
    Places compacted by walkers kept turning the front wheel this morning. Wrists began to ache. Virgin snow was much easier. A steady pace was possible. Way home tonight will be a fresh experience, something new every time.

I really enjoy the snow but for me the limit is about 2 hours after which different parts of the bike become clogged. Spd’s completely frozen, granny ring obscured and unworkable. Still great fun though…oh, and cleaning the bike become a real chore with frozen hose pipes etc.

The worst bits for me are the horse-churned muddy bits that suck in the front wheel and send you OTB. Had that twice on Saturday but learned the lesson by Sunday. I think it helps with the basic bike handling having to constantly adjust your weight etc when skidding.

Forgot the hidden ponds x1 on Saturday!!!

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

Was brutal character building this morning. Couple of inches of thick wet snow on the round offering little if any traction even with Schwalbe Winter Marathons at 30 odd psi. Spent most of my 11 mile commute going sideways.

That in itself would have been fun – but not when combined with driving wet sleet that soaked though all my waterproofs 🙁

I even took to the road for some of it I was that desperate!

On the bright side I managed to stay more-or-less vertical and I levelled up my Skid Correction ability.

Trimix

Im running spikey narrow Tioga Mud tyres, they seem to work pretty well unless its 5+ inches deep, or just ice.

The trails on the weekend that were best were the ones where the snow had been squashed a bit, but not turned into solid ice.

wl

Personally, I find the trails where people have already walked are best – the snow is compacted and generally fine to ride on, if a bit more hard work. Dump a bit of air out the tires and keep a smooth rhythm in the right gear and it’s amazing what you can ride up, down and along. The right clothing and kit helps take the misery out of it.

4.5hours snow riding on Saturday – best ride since ‘summer’ 😀

wl

Summer was so crap that most my best rides have been in the last couple of months when the ground’s been firm – the good trails have been rideable, not swamps.

Trimix

Snow riding is the new dry dusty summer for trail riding.

timnwild

Great ride in mainly fresh snow Saturday morning on the Downs. Best for climbing was following landrover tracks, best for down was 2-3 inches of fresh, with the occasional attempt to blast through a drift without falling over. Loved it. Saw a bloke on a 36″ mtb unicycle as well.

bigdaddy

Best trail conditions for months on the north downs / reigate hill / Box hill yesterday! I managed 3 hours in the snow, most of which was pretty hard packed and really fast. And clean! No mud to clean off – it was wonderful…

FunkyDunc

Well was a waste of time, after pushing my bike for most of 3 miles I gave up. One nice snow covered decent though that was all rideable and fast.

Cleaned my bike for me at least !

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

One nice snow covered decent though that was all rideable and fast.

Wrong vehicle. You should have taken skis/board instead. 😀

Premier Icon simondbarnes
    Subscriber

The snow was thigh deep in places on today’s ride. The whole ride was really hard work but had loads of fun. The novelty will probably wear off soon though.

Heading down by simondbarnes, on Flickr

Thigh deep on a path! by simondbarnes, on Flickr

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘How much snow before it becomes hard work?’ is closed to new replies.