Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • How much sealant?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Just about to go tubeless for first time. Have some Bonty tubeless ready tyres to go on Crossmax rims. Also have a small bottle of stans sealant. How much do I use and when do I put it in?

lucien

A glug in each tyre

martinhutch

If it’s this little bottle (2oz) – all of it in each tyre is recommended.

clubber
    Free Member

Two stans scoops in a mtb tyre for me. Probably a bit more than needed but I’m not a racer.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

two scoops of stans in a normal (2.3″ – 2.5″) tyre

loddrik
    Free Member

It is that smam bottle but don’t want to put the whole lot in one tyre if possible, I’m trying to keep weight to a minimum.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

There’s a point below which there is so little sealant in the tyre that it’s spread out too thin to seal a puncture, so don’t be too stingy. Two Stans scoops per tyre for me too.
    As to the when part of your question, as late as possible in the tyre fitting process, so ideally, just before fitting the last part of the second tyre bead.

ratherbeintobago

IIRC it’s something like 60mL for tyres <2.4″ and 90mL above that.

dibboid
    Free Member

Two stans scoops in a mtb tyre for me. Probably a bit more than needed but I’m not a racer

+1 the little bottles don’t seem to have the gritty stuff the same like the bigger Black bottle. Don’t think of the bigger outlay of buying the bigger one because it’s a false economy. By the time you’ve bought 4 of them it’s the same price of the bigger bottle and you’ll get twice the amount. And the better product

Dales_rider
    Free Member

I use one scoop a year on from starting with tubeless and it seems OK.
    Use a tube in the tyre first to pop the beads across, take it out one side leaving one bead still seatedm
    Put valve in and seat second bead.
    Remove valve core (if its a removable core) and using a syringe inject fluid
    Or
    Take as little of bead of one side of rim and pour it in.

loddrik
    Free Member

How many mm is a ‘scoop’? Don’t think I got one with the bottle I bought.

martinhutch

The red scoop is 2oz, same as the small bottle.

roverpig

Wouldn’t that mean it should be one scoop per wheel then, not two? Or are you supposed to use two bottles per wheel?

martinhutch

Should have thought about that for more than half a second. 1 Scoop = 1oz – so 2 scoops per tyre. Duh… 😳

roverpig

Ok that makes sense. Thanks.

roverpig

Ok that makes sense. Thanks.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘How much sealant?’ is closed to new replies.