Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • How much sealant ?
  • timberjack
    Free Member

Changing my gravel bike tyres to tubeless, got them seated added a little bottle, 59mg of stans sealant and blew them up, that was Tuesday night they went back down straight away but after a lot of faffing about turning wheels this way and that, spinning short rides etc I thought I had them sorted, went out yesterday for 3 hours no problems, went to the shed this morning and the rear was nearly flat and the front had lost about 25-20 psi,What I want to know is do I need to put another bottle of sealant in, there has been no leakage of the sealant so it should all be still in there somewhere, Cheers

rone

No – some tyres often lose their pressure in the intial stages of mounting them up / sealing etc.

I would just pump them up for a few days on and off.

Check your valves aren’t letting air out. This is often a problem area.

If they stay up after a couple of weeks you’re good.

transporter13
    Free Member

I bought a pair of conti race Kings for a commuter bike a few weeks ago. Chucked 100ml of sealant in each wheel (27.5) and every morning for 2 weeks my tyres were flat. The sidewalls had bubbles around them etc. Now I’ve only ever used schwalbe/maxxis/wtb/spesh tyres in the past and normally that stops after 1 or 2 nights. At this time I was ready to cut them off and order some (proper) tyres.
    Then I did a search on Google and on this very site there were threads explaining that conti could need extra fluid to stop this.
    With this in mind, I put another 100ml in each tyre (a lot I know) to see if it made any difference. Next morning… Tyres exactly as I’d left them and been perfect ever since🤷‍♂️

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Onzadog
    Free Member

How wide are the tyres? I’d say up to about 40mm, one bottle per tyre should be ample.

A bucket to rest the wheel on and some soap suds to see where it’s leaking from and focus your shaking on that area.

timberjack
    Free Member

They’re 47 wide and I’ve tried the soap suds, putting it on its side and all that, I had a mountain bike tyre which was always soft when I went back to it so I put another bottle into it and it cured it but that was over a year since the last time I’d done it, I just thought one bottle would be enough but maybe not , tyres are 650 b 47 wide gravel tyres

Onzadog
    Free Member

1.85″ then. I’d be tempted to split another bottle between the pair.

ta11pau1

Mine do that after setting up tubeless, I’ll check in the morning and one will be flat with no sealant escaped anywhere.

Just pump it back up and ride it, you don’t need to add more sealant.

In 47mm 650b gravel tyres I put in about 100ml/4oz. First night the front was completely flat, it’s held pressure since then.

timberjack
    Free Member

I will give them a few more days and if no better I will split another bottle between them, thanks for your help 👍

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘How much sealant ?’ is closed to new replies.