Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • How much oil on a chain
  • Shred
    Free Member

Every time I send my bike in to the LBS, the chain comes back looking like it has had half a bottle of oil pored over it.

I usually clean my bike after each ride, wipe the chain clean and dry, and put finish line wet lube on, enough to cover the rollers, but not drowning.

So how much is needed?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I put one drop on each roller (at one end roller/plate junction). Typically I then turned the pedals so the chain makes a few total revolutions then leave it overnight, before giving it a wipe over the next day to remove any excess.

plyphon
    Free Member

You don’t need much at all. Regular use will get the lube to where it needs to be.

I cover the links that are over the cassette, stick a bit on the jockey wheels and just spin it through the gears front and back for 30 seconds.

Plenty of lube, no wastage.

discoduck
    Free Member

I put a spot on each of the rollers i usually do this with the bike upside down and drop a tad on as the chain tensions as it rolls over the bottom jockey wheel because this seems to separate the plates a bit aiding lubrication,

How are you finding that wet lube in these arid conditions ?

Shred
    Free Member

It’s a bit frustrating. They even did it on my road bike, which resulted in oil splattering all over the frame. I usually use dry lube on the road bike anyway.

Cheezpleez

I have a swimming pool full of old engine oil in the back garden. I tie a rope to the bike and chuck it in the deep end . Pull it out when I want to ride and it’s lubed and ready to go. Brakes are a bit shit though.

Northwind

If it’s actual oil, it’ll soon fall off anyway so not worth worrying about either way.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Wipe it off or attract a lot of dust. You just need to put it onto the interface between a roller and a side plate on the inside of the chain.

robbieh
    Free Member

Do you really need to send your bike to a shop to get the chain oiled?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘How much oil on a chain’ is closed to new replies.