Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • How much of a PITA is a seal change on Fox forx vs Rockshox?
  • no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I’ve got to fit some new seals to my Fox 32mm F120 Forx.

I’ve attempted this service in the past – to a pair of Rebas – and gave up in the end. Removing the old seals was easy, but trying to put the new ones in was enough to make me go old before my time. Drifting them in as hard as you like, they just bounced back laughing happily at me, the silly bits of rubber.

Anyways… so are Fox seals just as much of a royal PITA as this?

amedias
    Free Member

If it’s jut the wiper seals in the lower legs then the procedure is almost identical…

shouldn’t be that much faff, normally can push them 3/4 of the way in by hand, but top tip for you, put the seals in the freezer for a few hours first, and leave the lowers somewhere sunny. should help no end.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Yeah… I tried the whole bung-them-in-the-freezer trick with the rebas. Only trouble was the seals appeared to have something like the heat capacity of cotton wool. Either that or I have hot hands! Lowers in the sunshine, eh..? Hmmmm… Might try that.

rwc03
    Free Member

Always managed to push the fox seals on by hand, never done Rebas so can’t compare

BearBack
    Free Member

Of the 2 pairs of 32s I did on Friday, 3 seals behaved, 1 acted as you described.
    Wouldn’t stay put until it was fully seated. No seal drift for me though, hands only.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

You must also have Bear hands then, surely? 😉

jairaj

Helped service a mates Fox Vanillas once and recently did my Revs both where pretty much the same procedure taking similar amount of time. Didn’t have any issues with the seals either. Slightly tricky to get them in but no major drama at all.

amedias
    Free Member

Lowers in the sunshine, eh..? Hmmmm… Might try that.

well kettle of hot but not boiling water poured over the outside of the lowers also works, especially in conjunction with seals in the freezer.

yetidave
    Free Member

Lube the seals first, slip in a treat… 🙂

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Great – thanks guys! Some good tips there 🙂

Northwind

Found the seals simple in my revs and boxxers tbh. Easier than motorbike seals!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘How much of a PITA is a seal change on Fox forx vs Rockshox?’ is closed to new replies.