Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • How much notice should take off the rider weight limit on bike frames?
  • teadrinker
    Free Member

Reason being since the beginning of December last year till about 3 weeks ago I haven’t been out at all and with Christmas and then way too many cakes with my tea I popped out a bit. I’ve always been well built but now with added extras I’m at 6ft 4 and 114 kilos which I know I can get back down now I’m riding again and eating healthier, I’ve no issue with that.

So i’ve been looking at a new bike recently and I think I have narrowed it down to either a Spesh Diverge or a Ridley X-Trail both in there Carbon form. The Spesh states it’s rider limit is 109 kilos and the Ridley is stating it’s 95 kilos. How much notice do I need to take of this being a heffalump?

mattyfez

It might be iffy with carbon, as it’s layered up accordingly for strength /lightness, so I’m guessing the weight limits are so they can keep frame weight down as low as they dare.

I presume there is a margin of safety built in, so the spesh might be fine but I’m not sure I’d want to risk it really. Expensive bike to break and you could do yourself a serious injury.

Maybe go for a heavier/burlier bike to help shed some body weight before going full carbon ultra light bike?

A bike that’s a tiny bit heavier (and potentially much stronger) relative to your weight won’t make any difference(no offence) , so why chance a potentially dangerous frame failure?

Trimix
    Free Member

They just state those weight limit numbers to make you feel fat 🙂

Id ride it till the tyres popped.

But if it broke Id not go complaining about the bike not being up to the job.

MoreCashThanDash

When I was speccing my Condor in the shop there was a slightly embarrassing discussion about whether the lightweight all carbon seatpost with the 85kg weight limit would be suitable.

Luckily I haven’t died yet.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I ride a Diverge. My body is a temple.

One of those statements is true.

Rather more of a temple that yours at the moment, sorry!

montgomery
    Free Member

Never wondered about frames but have speculated about carbon forks for bikepacking purposes – tall rider plus luggage, pushing it?

jameso

How much notice do I need to take of this being a heffalump?

Depends if you’re fast or not. 75kg rider at 25mph or 125kg rider at 15mph – who hits the drainage ditch hardest? (It’s about the same)

mattyfez

Different riding style altogether but when I bought my carbon rims I was looking at xc layup with 28 spokes.

They asked what I rode and told them I was 6’3 and 95kg.

They said we strongly suggest the all mountain lay up with 32 spokes.

Hardly any extra weight but a lot stronger.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘How much notice should take off the rider weight limit on bike frames?’ is closed to new replies.