• This topic has 124 replies, 47 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 125 total)
  • HOW MUCH, NHS paying compo to upset woman
  • project
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-35581737

1.4 million quids how many care assistants,ambulances,operations,would that pay for.

and as for the 2 responsible, just suspended.

joat

So you’d be happy for your abusers to get away with it because it may cost the public purse money? Don’t blame the victim here, blame the shisters who contrived to get away with it.

MSP

£832,711

And to be honest that was a pretty horrible thing to happen, that sort of horrible bullying environment should lead to prison sentences for the perpetrators. Nasty scumbags destroying lives then closing ranks.

mrsfry
    Free Member

What the heck is wrong with the OP. Do you condone this type of behaviour?
    Just think of what the ‘UPSET’ woman had to go through. Think of all the things she was feeling or fearing what may happen to her.

Good grief

project
    Free Member

They got suspended on pay, and later resigned, 1.4 million doesnt include their salaries but does include legal costs.

So sad it went so far, and so few did anything to stop it happening.

Drac

Awful behaviour nearly as bad as your thread title.

project
    Free Member

Headline title, sells newspapers, provokes discussion, and hopefully makes bullying a thing of the past,to be left in the playground, from where its learnt.

MoreCashThanDash

All over the local news last night.

All parties involved stressed that appropriate action earlier would have stopped it coming to this. Hopefully lessons have been learnt.

Presumably the level of damages reflects the level of earnings lost by the life saving HR directors in the NHS.

stumpyjon

Well I agree with the Op, the compensation is ridiculous. The perpetrators should have been dealt with through the justice system as appropriate but I don’t see why she should have been awarded best part of 10 years salary just because she was able to get a better lawyer. She should have been entitled to the same compensation any other victim would have received. The NHS as an organisation can not be held systemically responsible for the poor behaviour of individuals.

MSP

Well I agree with the Op

Before or after he started backpedaling.

The NHS as an organisation can not be held systemically responsible for the poor behaviour of individuals

The NHS (local trust) failed as an organisation to investigate false allegations trumped up by senior management. That was a serious systematic failure, and leads one to wonder how often senior management were used to getting away with it to go so far against a fairly senior employee.

Drac

She should have been entitled to the same compensation any other victim would have received.

She was.

nealglover
    Free Member

She should have been entitled to the same compensation any other victim would have received.

And how do you imagine she’s different?

PaulMc
    Free Member

The NHS as an organisation can not be held systemically responsible for the poor behaviour of individuals.

The NHS,like any employer, is liable for the actions of its employees in the course of their employment and for its failure to address inappropriate behaviour by employees against colleagues.

Drac

Exactly.

konabunny
    Free Member

I don’t see why she should have been awarded best part of 10 years salary just because she was able to get a better lawyer.

This is a bit like saying Merckx won races because he had the better mechanic.

brakes
    Free Member

does she have to pay tax on it?

MSP

I would also guess that the additional costs are so high because the trust failed to face up to the reality of the situation, continued to defend the perpetrators and fight against the victim, until the tribunal actually found against them.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Glad that she feels better and able to put the ordeal behind her after the ruling….

thegreatape
    Free Member

No issue with her for pursuing this. In fact, good on her for pursuing it. Always good to see bullies getting it. Of course the money could be better spent, but that’s the trust’s fault not hers.

br
    Free Member

I’d have hoped that someone earning £100k would’ve had a spine and told him to walk earlier, although how much was she ‘playing’ the Chair?

Either way, seems a bit excessive – best part of 10 years money.

project
    Free Member

Always good to see bullies getting it.

and one got paid while suspended for months then resigned

thegreatape
    Free Member

True – he didn’t get it enough.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Either way, seems a bit excessive – best part of 10 years money.

And what if she can’t work for that length of time?

You seem to be forgetting who the victim is here.

oldnpastit

I had no idea that HR directors in rural parts of the country could earn so much. Kind of puts my salary in perspective and makes me think I should encourage my children to go into that noble field.

stumpyjon

I don’t think anyone is forgetting who the victim is, it’s the amount they’ve been paid that is the issue. What’s the average compensation for someone who’s been raped or knocked off their bike and left for dead by a hit and run? Both could result in life changing mental issues not to mention physical ones. I imagine significantly less than £800k. It smacks that because the NHS is a big organisation with funds the lawyers went to town. I would much rather everyone involved from the trust be personally sanctioned, either legally or financially through sacking and claw back of money paid whilst suspended to send a strong message that individuals are responsible for their actions and it won’t be tolerated.

I bet there’s still people inpost now who behaved badly throughout this episode, hiding behind the annomininity of the faceless trust whilst justice in the form of a whacking great payout is seen to be done whilst patient care suffers.

MoreCashThanDash

Someone with life changing injuries and or unable to work will be assessed in exactly the same way – their salary, including pensions etc, multiplied by x number of years. Plus any on going care costs if appropriate. So she’d have got much less if she was on minimum wage. It’s called loss of earnings for a reason.

I think jealousy and cynicism about NHS senior salaries is clouding opinions. Or ignorance of how the law works.

20-odd years ago I was on the claims team that paid out the first £1 million award. That made the news too. And that was mostly care costs.

nickjb
    Free Member

The payout does seem excessive. I would hope someone working in HR and earning £100k would be capable of dealing with this sort of thing. Obviously the others involved are to blame so shame on everyone.

Pigface
    Free Member

How can you blame the victim for what the settlement is, I dont think she said to the court “I want £800,000 to make myself feel better.

The NHS trust should go after the scumbag bully who has caused this, I am sure they could get a couple of hundred k from him.

mrsfry
    Free Member

^^
    +1

I don’t understand all the victim blaming on this thread. If any complainers has a traumatic incident happen to them which is caused by someone else, don’t sue or complain and just take it on the chin 🙂

Cancel your home insurance while you are at it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I would hope someone working in HR and earning £100k would be capable of dealing with this sort of thing.

How does one deal with the sexual advances of a senior manager and then him conspiring to have you fired?
    Just saying like….

nickjb
    Free Member

I don’t understand all the victim blaming on this thread. If any complainers has a traumatic incident happen to them which is caused by someone else, don’t sue or complain and just take it on the chin

Cancel your home insurance while you are at it.That’s fair. I’m an engineer. If a tile fell of my roof I’d get up there and fix it rather than claim on insurance. I appreciate not everyone can do that and would make a perfectly justifiable claim. The lady in this case was a senior HR person. I’d expect her to be able to deal with a case of workplace harassment. No winners here.

How does one deal with the sexual advances of a senior manager and then him conspiring to have you fired?

How would she have dealt with it if another member of staff had this happen to them and approached her, as HR director, for help? Just saying

Jakester
    Free Member

nickjb – Member

That’s fair. I’m an engineer. If a tile fell of my roof I’d get up there and fix it rather than claim on insurance. I appreciate not everyone can do that. The lady in this case was a senior HR person. I’d expect her to be able to deal with a case of workplace harassment. No winners here.

And in your workplace, if you filed a grievance about some form of harassment, and your boss then colluded to cover it and made unfounded allegations about your competence to deflect from the allegations, you’d be fine with that, would you?

It’s frankly outrageous behaviour compounded by the failure of the trust to investigate appropriately. None of this is the victim’s fault.

hels
    Free Member

I would think this is an exceptional outcome – for all the people this kind of thing happens to – very few will get this far through the system. It can’t have been easy for the victim.

Hopefully will serve as precedent/example/deterrent.

nickjb
    Free Member

And in your workplace, if you filed a grievance about some form of harassment, and your boss then colluded to cover it and made unfounded allegations about your competence to deflect from the allegations, you’d be fine with that, would you?

No, that really is spectacularly missing the point. I’d expect HR to help as it is outside my realm of expertise and inside theirs. If they then failed maybe I’d consider legal action. She is the senior HR person. TBH there is no one in my workplace to go to as I’m self employed. Not least because of HR’s failure to deal with a case of workplace bullying in my last job so maybe I’m a bit biased.

wrecker
    Free Member

The lady in this case was a senior HR person. I’d expect her to be able to deal with a case of workplace harassment.

That’s exactly what she did.
    £100K for a NHS HR manager? She needed a pay out as she knows that she won’t be able to ride a gravy train like that again.

retro83
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member
    Just saying like….

Speak to HR?

Jakester
    Free Member

nickjb – Member

No, that really is spectacularly missing the point. I’d expect HR to help as it is outside my realm of expertise and inside theirs. If they then failed maybe I’d consider legal action. She is the senior HR person.

What you’ve failed to address is the fact that perhaps this person was entitled as of right to work in an environment free from harassment in the first place?

wrecker – Member

£100K for a NHS HR manager? She needed a pay out as she knows that she won’t be able to ride a gravy train like that again.

Ah, the politics of envy. What an unpleasant thing to say. Workplace harassment is unlawful whether you’re paid minimum wage or £100k p/a. What you earn has nothing to do with a reasonable expectation of how your co-workers should behave towards you.

nickjb
    Free Member

What you’ve failed to address is the fact that perhaps this person was entitled as of right to work in an environment free from harassment in the first place?

And who’s responsibility is that and who polices it? IMO those tasks are split between the CEO and the HR director

hels
    Free Member

She was an HR Manager – she needs to buy her soul back from the Devil..

wrecker
    Free Member

Ah, the politics of envy

It bloody true though, I’d bet a fair sum she doesn’t get a £100Kpa job again.

What you earn has nothing to do with a reasonable expectation of how your co-workers should behave towards you.

At no point did I suggest otherwise. Many others have though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 125 total)

The topic ‘HOW MUCH, NHS paying compo to upset woman’ is closed to new replies.