Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • How much glass can a 2 yr old eat? – Seriously
  • mostlyharmless
    Free Member

My two year old was pouring milk from his plastic mug into and out of his mums empty wine glass, taking a drink pouring it back and repeating the process as kids that age do. Until he took a bite out of the wine glass.

Minor panic. He spat out the big piece of glass in his mouth and didn’t appear to swallow. I put all the bits together like a jigsaw and there was a piece missing, a triangular piece about 3-4mm on each of its sides. Four of us looked for it and couldn’t find it. We can’t be sure he didn’t swallow it.

I called the health service number while mrs mostlyharmless packed PJs, teddy bears and everything we thought we’d need for a night at the local kids hospital. Surprisingly we were advised just to keep an eye on him for signs of trouble – not swallowing, pain, blood in the nappy contents etc and perhaps see our GP on Monday.

I don’t know what a hospital could do except watch. I appreciate people survive eating much worse. There’s some guy eats cars and lightbulbs and stupid stuff etc. But this is my wee boy and I’m reassured by the helpline but still concerned.

Someone say something reassuring.

druidh
    Free Member

Think “sweetcorn”……

Mibbe dissect his stools for a few days to see if he passes it OK?

Drac

Chances are he’s not swallowed it 2 years olds have tiny gullets a piece that size would harm him straight away and he’s be in pain.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RudeBoy
    Free Member

Chances are, that he din’t swallow it at all, and that you’ve missed it. A piece of glass that big would probably cause problems had he tried to swallow it. If he has somehow swallowed it, such a big piece would be easy to locate with a CT scan, and remove, if necessary.

Have another look for the missing piece. Hoover the area up, with an empty bag. Glass gets in the strangest of places, when it smashes.

Hope the little tyke’ll be ok. Should be. Kids are tough as.

dr_death
    Free Member

Beg to differ Drac, I think it’s possible he could have swallowed it.

Doubt a bit 3x4mm will do him any damage though. As NHS re-direct state, come and see us if he gets unwell.

(I wouldn’t bother looking for it either TBH, I only tell parents that if I’m feeling mischievious)

mostlyharmless
    Free Member

Thanks folks, sounds like the answer is ‘Quite a lot more than a worried parent would imagine’. Times may be hard but we’ve no plans to add it to his regular diet tho. He’s woken up after a good nights sleep and he’s his usual beautiful, noisy, demanding symptom free self.

I’m reassured

Drac

Beg to differ Drac, I think it’s possible he could have swallowed it.

I won’t argue with you given your some what more qualified, I’d just would have expected if he had they’re some harm done from the start.

jam-bo

sounds like he’s got a career at the circus mapped out for him….

theotherjonv

I’m sure I read somewhere that skin and tissue is actually very pliable and resilient, and if he hasn’t realised he swallowed it or the implications then he’ll just pass it through pretty well unscathed.

It’s when you ‘panic’; tense up, contract your throat and clench it round it that the damages occur.

Isn’t this the basis of how the bed of nails / bed of crushed glass fakirs do their tricks?

Drac

I’m sure I read somewhere that skin and tissue is actually very pliable and resilient

Who’d have guessed that.

theotherjonv

alright, I know that skin is pliable and resilient, smartarse, it was the bit about being able to swallow stuff when you don’t know about it 🙂

Once you know you’re swallowing glass, that’s when the problems start

Stoner
    Free Member

I gather the same goes for spunk… 🙂

MrNutt
    Free Member

ladies and gentleman I’d like to remind you that Stoner is also available for weddings, christenings and bar mitzvahs

😆

theotherjonv

lol

infidel
    Free Member

‘Chances are, that he din’t swallow it at all, and that you’ve missed it. A piece of glass that big would probably cause problems had he tried to swallow it. If he has somehow swallowed it, such a big piece would be easy to locate with a CT scan, and remove, if necessary.’
    I’m afraid I have to disagree – the visibility of glass on x-ray imagaing (which is also what CT is) depends on the lead content of the glass itself. Lead crystal glass is seen more easily because it has a higher density so attenuates x-rays better.

‘Chances are he’s not swallowed it 2 years olds have tiny gullets a piece that size would harm him straight away and he’s be in pain.’

Again, sorry to be alarmist, but he’d easily be able to swallow it.

I suspect that nothing would however be done other than watch and wait unless he has clinical symptoms but this is not something that should be or can be advised without examining him so I would reccomend you take him to accident and emergency and have him formally assessed.

grizzlygus
    Free Member

sorry to be alarmist, but he’d easily be able to swallow it.

Well there’s no need to be ‘alarmist’ because, quote :

“He spat out the big piece of glass in his mouth and didn’t appear to swallow.”

Swallowing would have required him to move the piece of glass to the back of the mouth and make a definite swallowing action. Highly unlikely in my opinion – why would he have done that when he spat out the rest ?

Much more likely imo is that mostlyharmless simply couldn’t find the piece of glass.

Spongebob
    Free Member

You said the hospital told you there was nothing they could do except wait and see?

When my boy was about 3, he pulled one of the handles off an antique balnket chest that had been nailed on with carpet tacks. There were three holes and only two tacks and he had managed to pop one in his mouth in the few seconds he had been out of our sight.

We took him without delay to A and E and they took an X-Ray. We were sent home feeling relieved when nothing was found.

My son had bumped his head on a previous occasion and as a result of this second visit, we recieved a warning letter that if he was taken in for anything else, we would get a visit from social services as they suspected we were being negligent parents! I guess they are protecting their backside’s, but there was actually evidence that we were doing the complete opposite of what they were inferring – namely we took him to hospital for treatment without delay. If we were trying to harm him, a letter like the one we received would have discouraged us from seeking help.

Sad world we live in!

I hope your “littlun” is ok, mine reached his teens not long ago (poor little abused blighter!)

prettygreenparrot

they took an X-Ray. We were sent home feeling relieved when nothing was found.

Does not mean it wasn’t there. Just that it could not be seen on the x-ray images that were taken. Still, the reassurance of something being done can be enough.

bagpuss
    Free Member

I have consulted an expert for you. She says not to worry unless there is blood in his ‘poo’. If you see any off to hospital.

I think you could leave the poo at home though.

Hope he’s OK.

infidel
    Free Member

Wow Gus, thanks for your lesson on swallowing there. Also the quotation marks… a ‘nice’ touch.

mostlyharmless
    Free Member

Thanks all for your interest. He’s had two normal nights now and no sign of any of the symptoms suggested. We’re starting to breath easier.

Interesting point about the social cervixes Spongebob. When we phoned the health service helpline they do have a file on him / us. Fortunately most of the calls are probably for temperatures or things a normal, overconcerned parent would call about rather than injuries.

grizzlygus
    Free Member

Wow Gus, thanks for your lesson on swallowing there.

You’re welcomed :o) and now that you know, perhaps you’ll be less likely in instill needless panic into concerned parents. Even though you are of course a reluctant

alarmist

hora
    Free Member

mostlyharmless bejeesus. Just read this post. Thank **** all is ok. 😀

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

There’s a lesson here

Boys drink from Pint glasses
    Girls drink from Wine glasses

If you’d followed the rules, then none of this would have happened

mrsflash
    Free Member

social cervixes

lol!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘How much glass can a 2 yr old eat? – Seriously’ is closed to new replies.