Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • How much fuel?
  • trickpsyclist
    Free Member

Planning to cycle 85 miles (on road) on Saturday. Normally confine rides to 50 or so – unless in a race/enduro.

Just wondered how much food/fluid people would take with them for that sort of distance. Also, i have a set of race wheels (mavic cosmics) and wondered whether, considering the distance i might be better off with this lighter wheelset (rather than ‘open pro’/’ultegra’ wheelset)

thoughts people please.

wwaswas

1g of carbohydrate per kg of body mass per hour seems to be the best advice.

I’d go for whicherver is more ‘comfortable’ (however you measure that) rather than worry about a few grams here or there.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

for 85 miles – 1 bottle containing water and at least 1 cafe stop to eat beans on toast, cake and 2 cups of tea. i carry an energy gel and a couple of small flapjacky type things just in case as well

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    joemarshall
    Free Member

If it’s just a ride not a race, and I can stop any time I want, for this kind of ride, I’d just take a couple of chocolate bars, plus something sugary in one of my water bottles. Can always stop at a shop to get some crisps or whatever.

If it is with other people, and there aren’t any cafe stops, I’d take energy drink in both bottles, and maybe 3 or 4 chocolate bars.

Joe

aracer
    Free Member

4.5 to 5 hours? I’d take 2 full big bottles, and expect to have to refill at some point (shop or petrol station with tap). I’d normally start with 100g of energy powder in 1 bottle, which is ~2 hours food, along with 5-6 bars or gels. Though you suggest you’ve done longer events, so just fuel as you would for them.

The wheels won’t make a significant enough advantage for it to be worth worrying about.

crikey
    Free Member

Drink a bottle of energy stuff in the hour or two before you set off, have a good breakfast, then take two bottles and a couple of gels or biscuits. It’s only bike riding through the uk, not a trip up the amazon, so dinnae stress y’self.

sofatester
    Free Member

Water. Take it like a man!

Dave.
    Free Member

I normally take 2 bottles of just water on a ride like that and a few bits of flapjack/enegy bars. Take 2 minutes to eat a bit every hour or so.
    Nice to have something decent ready for when you get home though….Take some cash just incase you need more water/food along the way.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘How much fuel?’ is closed to new replies.