• This topic has 7 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by dpfr.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • How much for simple Probate?
  • bentandbroken

I understand that there are fixed costs (which I can see on the .gov.uk website), but how much should a solicitor/accountant cost for a relatively simple Probate?

Two recent calls/emails have resulted in quotes of;
    – A fixed fee of £1,995.00 plus VAT – That looks like a made up number to me!
    – 2% of the estate value – What has the estate value got to do with the amount of work required?

Google just gets me lots of Ads and few facts, but showed me a Co-Op service (non Ad). I have just completed an Online form for someone to contact me, but I want to try and understand what this sort of service should cost.

To me it feels like something that would take an expert less than two hours (probably less than an hour). Recent dealings with a Solicitor were charged at £275.00 plus VAT per hour. On that basis, probate should be £550.00 plus VAT and ‘costs’ maximum.

Can anyone give me a better steer on this?

Thanks

oldtennisshoes

Depends if IHT is likely or there is evidence of tax planning.
    The probate application is simple, but you need to provide a valuation of the estate to HMRC to get permission to apply for probate.
    If below threshold then it’s easy to do yourself using the digital service – you just need figures for what makes up the estate.
    If it’s possible that IHT is payable or there is evidence of tax planning then you are into PDF form hell with up to 25 ish additional forms depending on complexity.
    £2k for probate on an estate where IHT is payable is a bargain (IIRC the average is between 10 & 25k but it is dependent on complexity of the estate and usually therefore estate value).

merk
    Free Member

If it’s simple, just do it yourself. I went through it was year when I was the sole beneficiary of the will. I was amazed at how easy it was. All online.

Sort inheritance tax details first, then apply for probate. I had a bit of a wait for it to go through due to the high demand last year though…

bentandbroken

IHT205 was where I started, but (a pet hate of mine) I am struggling with a couple of the questions as they are in legalese.

A solicitor told me it should be simple, but clearly I am simpler. Hense the reason for the question…….

oldtennisshoes

If you need help with Inheritance Tax, use the contact form or call the helpline on 0300 123 1072 (+44 300 123 1072 from outside the UK).

Give them a call tomorrow. They are a really helpful bunch and I’m sure they’ll be able to point you in the right direction.

Or I might be able to help if you want to post the questions you are struggling with on here or pm me.

bentandbroken

@oldtennisshoes Thanks, I think I just need someone to help me answer a couple of the questions, hence the reason why I resent the concept of paying £1995.00 plus VAT or 2% of the estate
    :-/

dpfr

I was executor a couple of years ago for a relative’s estate (total value £ 700 k). There were quite a few investments to sort out, and a house sale. I got my relative’s financial adviser who knew the estate to do the probate paperwork and he was very good, and only charged £ 475 for everything. Having seen what it involved, £ 2k for someone who’s unfamiliar with the estate to sort it out seems reasonable; 2% is taking the piss.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘How much for simple Probate?’ is closed to new replies.