Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • How much does your heart rate rise when you stand up?
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Just got myself a fitness watch and noticed that every time I stand up my heart rate goes through the roof..from around 60 at rest to close to 90 upon standing

Appreciate it’s meant to go up a bit but that sounds wrong to me.

Did go to a cardiologist a few months back as I was having mild dizzy spells upon standing and he put it down to mild postural hypotension, which im assuming this has got something to do with. He didn’t mention anything about heart rate however

Drac

Your heart rate increases to balance out a low BP, if you’ve got postural hypotension then that might be why.

Or it might be just you watch moving when you stand as they’re not precise.

andybrad

mines the same

footflaps

Polar measures just this as part of their ‘orthostatic’ test. First thing in the morning this is mine….

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gE7T2x]Polar Orthostatic Test Result (HRV)[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

tpbiker
    Free Member

Footflaps, not sure if I am reading that correctly but is that a 25bpm jump on standing. That’s basically similar to what I get

MrPottatoHead

Is 90 “through the roof”? I think I’m in trouble if so.

footflaps

Footflaps, not sure if I am reading that correctly but is that a 25bpm jump on standing. That’s basically similar to what I get

Yep, from 45 ish to 70 and then back to 60 ish after a few secs.

Pretty normal response.

slowoldman

I’m very jealous of your resting HR footflaps.

beej

Just checked.

37 sitting. Stood up. Still 37.

(I may not be representative of general population. I also have a cardiologist and I’m on some drugs!)

tpbiker
    Free Member

Yep, from 45 ish to 70 and then back to 60 ish after a few secs.

Mine goes from about 60 to 85/90. Doesn’t go down much untill I sit back down again. On the bike its absolutely where i think it should be however

wobbliscott
    Free Member

When stood up your heart has to pump blood over a larger height difference so will have to work harder. I’d be more concerned if it didn’t go up a bit.

Superficial
    Free Member

When stood up your heart has to pump blood over a larger height difference so will have to work harder.

Well, yes. The mechanism is to do with a reduced venous return when you stand – less blood coming back to the (right) heart, lower stroke volume, so lower blood pressure, then a compensatory tachycardia as you mention. So it is a normal response, and for most, indicative of healthy, elastic blood vessels – although not usually to the extent that tpbiker is describing. It will also be more pronounced if you’re dehydrated, so that may be factor.

There is a condition called PoTS where this response is exaggerated. It would be very unusual in the MAM(IL) population we have on here but feel free to have a read! https://www.heartrhythmalliance.org/stars/uk/postural-tachycardia-syndrome-pots

tpbiker
    Free Member

Certainly don’t have any of the other symptoms of POTS.

Apparently normal rise is around 15 bpm so I’m quite alot above that. That said my mate just had a look at his readings and he went up from 55 to 80..

DickBarton

Just as well I don’t pay much attention…about 55-65 most days lying down. Goes to about 120 when stood up and drops back to about 75-85…

Ignore that as I watched it today…65 then up to 71 and back to 68…

tpbiker
    Free Member

indicative of healthy, elastic blood vessels

@superficial
    – so am i right in thinking that if the arteries are too hard this would lead to the heart having to pump harder when I stand up?

My blood pressure is ok, but was a smoker in past life so hopefully concrete veins is not the cause. Heart rate at all other times including rest and exercise seems spot on.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Goes from 50 to 63.

Superficial
    Free Member

@superficial – so am i right in thinking that if the arteries are too hard this would lead to the heart having to pump harder when I stand up?

No it’s not so much that. It’s about how your body can cope with the natural fluctuations in blood pressure. More elasticity = better damping of blood pressure ‘spikes’, maybe less risk of end-organ damage.

philjunior
    Free Member

Probably stress at seeing your heart rate increase.

tpbiker
    Free Member

More elasticity = better damping of blood pressure ‘spikes

Well my blood pressure is fairly stable even during hard exercise? Heart rate goes up where it should be, but blood pressure rarely shoots above 160. at rest it’s 125. Not sure if that’s good or bad but I assume reasonably good!

tjagain

I am not getting this. Surely this spike when you stand up is only a few seconds thus cannot be counted in BPM as its only a few beats?

What am I missing here

jamesoz

No idea, just checked mine. 45 seated, stood up and no change for about 5 secs then up to 60 then falling back to 50. Wrist HRM so not even slightly scientific. CBA to time it properly

footflaps

The spike in my trace above is about 20s long, 10 secs to ramp up and 10 secs to go back to normal standing BPM.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘How much does your heart rate rise when you stand up?’ is closed to new replies.