How much do you pay for your professional membership?

Home Forum Chat Forum How much do you pay for your professional membership?

Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)
  • How much do you pay for your professional membership?
  • ross980

APM, just over £150. Work pays for one professional subscription (the benefit to me is negligible so I wouldn’t bother otherwise). Ultimately I’d like to get CEng status, maybe when the kids are older I’ll find time.

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

ta.
    I think they might twig if I admitted attending a course on “Safe Working Systems on Roofs”. I think they know I don’t give a stuff already 🙂

Anyway, I think I’ve talked myself out of the organisation anyway. I just cant bring myself to renew my subs in Jan for £500 for nothing of value, let alone invite them to keep badgering me to do irrelevant CPD for another twelve months.

smitghga34

I’m a chartered electrical engineer and pay the IET (IEE) about £160 a year including British engineering council subs. My employers have always paid this in the past but now I contract I pay it. Well worth it in my opinion as you get paid more as a chartered engineer as opposed to an engineer.

my colleague always looks at the diary for the year ahead and chooses the suitable courses. I believe they’ve been to some too.
    Only reason I keep mine going is if I needed to apply for a job that needed MRICS other than that I’d bin it

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

If I thought I’d ever have to go and work for a company again that cared for RICS, I might have considered staying. But there’s really no chance I will.

konabunny

About five hundred quid. In return I get a regulatory system run on behalf of the community by…people drawn from the same profession and background as the people about whom complaints are made!

longmover

I was a member of the geological society for a while, i would get the occasional magazine full of advertisements and very little real content, same with IOM3.

BMA and GMC each about £400. GMC compulsory but useless, BMA useful and not compulsory. RCGP 400 ish and optional and useless.

Professional indemnity, because unlike Hospital Docs, we don’t get ours paid… About 4500. (Cheaper using Scottish insurers ).

You do a professional job and you pay professional fees 🙁

Premier Icon ratadog
    Subscriber

because unlike Hospital Docs, we don’t get ours paid… About 4500.

Ouch. I am old enough to remember when the Government had to step in and offer crown indemnity as around a tenth of my income as a junior was going on professional indemnity. Despite that change hospital doctors DO still pay for professional indemnity if they have any sense at all. There are circumstances e.g. GMC investigation, when the crown indemnity will not cover you and without the insurance bankruptcy looms. Amount varies with specialty and happily I am in one viewed as relatively low risk.

legolam

Yeah, I’m not sure I’d trust hospital indemnity as far as I could throw it. It’s one of the few professional costs that I’m happy to pay as, if I ever had to defend myself, I’d like my lawyers working in my best interests and not my employer’s.

I’d forgotten all the compulsory exam costs – MRCP + cardiology exam must have cost me about £2500 in total. Not as bad as my other half though – about £4k on various surgical exams before seeing the light and switching to GP. He’s just about to start giving the RCGP the rest of our savings for the privilege of sitting more exams…

I too have little belief in NHS trust indemnity schemes, which is why I’m a member of Unison (rather than the Royal College of Nurses).

The RCN stopped providing personal indemnity coverage as part of their benefits package (although they didn’t drop membership fees to match the reduced benefits), so like many nurses I jumped ship to a union that does provide coverage.

MrSmith

Why have half the people in this thread assumed other people not in their industry will know what those letters mean?

I was contemplating getting certified but The FRC sets the technical qualifications for becoming an ATF. From 1 January 2014 to become an ATF you must have been qualified for at least 4 years and hold the AWCF qualification, or equivalent, so I’d didn’t bother 🙄

In the nuclear industry the top jobs go to chartered or working towards chartership, if you want on any research stuff then it’s pretty much mandatory otherwise you’ll only get a tech job.

Currently free for IMechE and paying £20 a year for NI (Nuclear Institute), will probably go with IMechE once I graduate as I’m automatically IEng with them and I think I get fees paid for.

CaptJon

Royal Geographical Society is £99, but it is more like a club than a professional body. My HoD suggested i join as the university likes to see that sort of thing, i told her the university could pay then.

osteo1

General osteopathic council £700 per year to enable them to pay for council for people to sue me in the event of a complaint?! Oh and a magazine that you check to see if anyone you know has been struck off!

Oh and a magazine that you check to see if anyone you know has been struck off!

Ah, like the Nursing and Midwifery Council ’Hearings and Outcomes’ page. Often makes for interesting reading.

DrP

Geesh..exams etc etc.. forgot those..

It’s about 2k ish on MRCP stuff
    About 2.3k ish on GP quizzes..
    £390 on GMC (plus it was a ‘spare’ £390 for them, just to be on the GP list. Why…?!?!!)
    Not with BMA.
    RCGP a few ‘undred..

Insurance… about £6.5k per year. PER YEAR…. you could insure a feisty 18 year old lad year old on a Type R for that!!

Meh… I get to see at least one bum a day, so I’m happy…

DrP

peterfile

Insurance… about £6.5k per year. PER YEAR…. you could insure a feisty 18 year old lad year old on a Type R for that!!

The worst drivers for causing crashes are surgeons and doctors, who are 100 times more likely to cause an “at fault” accident at the wheel than a building society clerk.

Linky

Maybe you lot should put as much effort into driving as you do whinging? 🙂

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

Well worth it in my opinion as you get paid more as a chartered engineer as opposed to an engineer.

Not in Telecoms you don’t. Very few people are Chartered and pay is based on ability / experience.

DrP

That’s not car insurance you know..that’s “don’t mess up at work DrP” insurance..

DrP

peterfile

Pfffft, you call that expensive PI? 😉

Presumably the majority of medical claims struggle to even hit seven figures though? Unless you accidentally sever something important on a CEO?

That’s the beauty of compensation the UK, we focus on actual loss rather than pain and suffering.

It feels slightly odd that accidentally chopping off someones arms might only be worth £500k in financial terms, but accidentally busting a bit of energy infrastructure can result in the same level of damages…per day.

^ That’s cheap, we’re looking at over £1m in lost generation per day if we trip a unit.

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

Well that was cathartic. Resignation from RICS has gone in, and the bonus of a exit survey within which to vent now completed. Somehow they blow over £40m of subs received each year, with a staff of 400, and make a loss. And I still dont know what they spend it on.

Right, now what do I spend my £500 a year on instead? I’ve got a few ideas.

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

Right, now what do I spend my £500 a year on instead? I’ve got a few ideas.

Coke and Hookers?

Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘How much do you pay for your professional membership?’ is closed to new replies.