Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 136 total)
  • How much do you pay for car tyres?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Cheapest around, or do you shop for grip, fuel economy, noise or something else?

Please state car when replying 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

grip

Alfa GT

£91 a corner for Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetrics

Waderider
    Free Member

Economy, Volvo V40, Michelin Energy, £70 a corner, I get 25K on the front.

aP
    Free Member

Do you buy them that often? The original Michelin seemed to last about 45,000 miles so don’t worry very much about changing them. Focus TDCI

richmtb

I’ve got a Leon Fr, I likes grip!

I was sticking with the Goodyear Excellence that came worth the car until recently they were around £120 a tyre. I’ve recently tried two Falken FK452’s on the front they were £100 a tyre, not really that impressed with them to be honest, grip not as good as the Goodyears and seem to be wearing just as fast. Might go back to the Goodyears or give Conti SPs a try

molgrips
    Free Member

70 is cheap for energy – what size? Got energies on the Prius, 20k miles in and they still look new. Amazing tread wear.

Just about to order Nokian V after having used their WR G2 snow tyres – they were much quieter and way more economical than the SUMMER tyres they replaced, so I’m staying with Nokian. Cheaper than Michelin Energies in that size too.

cp

subaru legacy estate, Michelin premacy hp’s – 4off being fitted as we speak. £360 all in. A bit more than some places, a lot less than others, but I trust them.

Premacys are great tyres on the leggy – replacing a set which have lasted 40+k

DezB
    Free Member

Saab 93, £80 each. Asked for £80 tyres (from brother’s mate)

Apparently, the way to do it, is to find the price for the tyres you want, phone other place, say “can you do Michelin Whatevers for (£20 cheaper than previous price)?”
    That’s what bro says best way to get good deal and he wide-boy.

bigbloke
    Free Member

I try and use branded tyres after a bad experience with budget tyres GT Champiro dealer fitted , they were awful in the wet and braking, some scary moments.

Currently have Bridgestone ER300 on front £71 fitted with free puncture repairs for tyre life at F1 Fitting Centres, these have been great and a massive improvement in grip/braking. Will be replacing my rear Primacy’s with these tyres when they eventually wear out.

Also surprisingly on wifes car we have good results with Falken ZE912 (iirc) and a set of Khumo KH31 fitted a few months back.

nickf
    Free Member

Land Rover Disco 3 – £180 a corner.

Currently using Vredestein Wintrax Xtreme – brilliant winter tyre, work well in the summer and on mud. Makes the car unstoppable in the Alps.

The Passat has Dunlop Sportmaxx – excellent grip, last a reasonable length of time (about 20k) and cost about £120 per corner

philconsequence
    Free Member

Makes the car unstoppable

sounds dangerous! 😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Land Rover Disco 3 – £180 a corner.

I’m guessing that’s why all Disco drivers try and straightline it across roundabouts then?

Drac

£0 was how much I paid last time for 2 fronts.

titusrider
    Free Member

continental £130 on alfa mito

FuzzyWuzzy

BMW 330, usually around £200 for rears and £150 for fronts (different sizes in case you didn’t already work that out :p ). Looking at Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta’s this time which are a bit cheaper (unfortunately I also need all 4 corners 🙁 ). Mind you they seem to get mixed reviews so having second thoughts (mostly look for good grip, low noise and not shockingly bad wear rates but given I average 6-8k on rears that’s a relative statement)

phil.w
    Free Member

I average 6-8k on rears

fuzzywuzzy is this you?…

trail_rat
    Free Member

40 quid a pop fitted ….

its a van – it barely does 70 and i dont race it about … they do just fine !

land rover are 150 a pop for freeking remoulds unless i go to a smaller size than a 7.50- r16(and thus replace all tires at once) or buy road/van tires for it instead of ATs – had a blow out in its front drivers once at 50 – all i noticed was increased noise 😀

djglover
    Free Member

paid £85 a corner for goodyear efficient grip from an independant. Skoda octavia. I did pay 260 for 4 firestones last time but they seemed to sawtooth really badly on the back.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Around £30 a corner on my pug 306. Don’t really go over 80mph and to be honest I never really know when I am getting rid of the heap. 😀

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Polo GTI they offered me 4 prices I picked the next to highest so not top range tyres the cheaper makes best ones….

look I’m a friggin’ girl give me a break…..

They cost £49 each plus fitting & Vat I went for grip as I’m a speed demon girl racer

stumpy01

Normally about £120/pair for my Ibiza (TDI 130). They are 205/45/16.

Used to use Kumho KU31’s but they wear unevenly on the back (apparently it’s common on Polo/Ibiza/Fabia with certain tyres), so last time I got some Matador MP42’s that the place down the road recommended. Was a bit dubious, but in a hurry. I’ve been pleasantly surprised with them.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

£70 a tyre for and Pirelli P7’s.

Are they any good dunno. Could I pay less, well possibly but dunno.

There is very little informed data around to help you make an informed decision about what is a good or bad tyre.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Firestone F-590

~£50/corner, 10k and still looking good on the midget, can’t comment on how good they are, only that they’re an infinate improvement over the trailer tyres the previous owner had driven to the alps on! You could feel the tyres folding over if you cornered hard! I swear they were probably cross-plys!

As a side note they look retro with the logos painted white, might find some dunlops next time for added british-ness.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Mondeo Estate diesel.

When I got it had some horrible budget Nexen tyres on. They had terrible grip and would let go without warning, in the damp I had problems setting off without wheelspin. Avoid like the plague.

Replaced with Vreds Ultrac Sessanta at the same time as I had the car remapped for power and was surprised the MPG improved. Great tyres grip amazingly well wet or dry. Average tyre life could have got more out of them if I hadn’t got addicted to the massive midrange on the remap.

Now using Michelin PS3 but rotate them with winter Alpin tyres so they are wearing really well and only slightly less grippy than the Vreds but MPG has increased slightly with Michelins but that could be down to remap no longer being a novality.

My brother has an Octavia diesel and got through a set of Falkens in less than 8000 miles and have a pair of front Dunlops distort. Now using Continentals again without problem.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Previously had vredestein ssesantas, awesome tyres, once enabling me to get the rear left up off the ground, ahem! Used camskills price and got local garage to match. Today I’ve had 2 Avon zv5’s at 80 each fitted on the front of my impreza in an emergency, due to a slight maintenance oversight 😳

TatWink
    Free Member

Continental Sportcontact 3, £130 a corner.

Average wear rate but great grip in all conditions.

retro83
    Free Member

Usually buy on the basis of wet/cold weather performance, economy, noise.

My theory is that almost any tyre will be alright in the dry, wet/winter weather is when it needs to really shine. Probably bowlocks but seems to work out alright for me.

The trouble is that user reviews for any tyre seem to be 49.5% “GREAT TYIR LOL”, 49.5% “DItCHHFINDER LOL”, 1% ‘UR BEIK IZ SARCIN LOL’

mazz
    Free Member

Pirelli P6000’s on a Volvo V70
    85 quid a tyre. Seem to replace my front tyres every 18months (approx 15k miles)

molgrips
    Free Member

he Passat has Dunlop Sportmaxx – excellent grip, last a reasonable length of time (about 20k) and cost about £120 per corner

I had Dunlop Sport of some description on the Passat previously – they were the noisy and uneconomical ones that the WR G2 replaced 🙂

Btw for all you looking to save money – the eco tyres last way way longer than normal ones, easily twice as long, as well as saving fuel.

enduro-aid
    Free Member

mini cooper

dunlop sport 70 quid a corner

great grip and seem to last forever if you rotate them

carlosg
    Free Member

At the moment my Rover 75 estate is on Yokohama Cdrive tyres they cost me £230 for all 4 corners , they aren’t quite as grippy as the Toyo Proxes CF1’s that were on it before but are wearing a heck of a lot better.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Price, went for ultra budgets (nexen) and they are fine. 50 quid a corner, it’s rained and I’m still here. On performance cars I used to go with grip and always used Yokohamas (except the Honda which had Bridgestones and they were shite but were the only ones for the car)..

MrGrim

Still have the cheap Runway tyres from when I bought it, but after they go it will be £120 a corner – BF Goodrich AT’s. Ford Ranger

jambon
    Free Member

I read a really good Q+A thing in the New Scientist about tread patters for car tyres. The answer came from a bloke who designed car treads for a living.

The long and short of it was that designing a car tyre pattern was really easy – ability to grip, shed water, roll well etc.

What the manufactures wanted, though, were sexy designs that could be sold for more and marketed to differing groups. Hence asymetrical, swoopy, radial designs found on BMWs and the like. All complete nonsense, however.

cxi
    Free Member

About £120ish a corner, currently on my second set of Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta. Look for grip but reasonable economy (cake and eat it please).

You can tell when they start to get worn, they tramline a lot. Probably go back to Conti Sport Contacts next time.

molgrips
    Free Member

it’s rained and I’m still here.

So far…

Jambon – also heard a similar thing ages ago. Loads of rubbish about car tyres.

That’s another reason I like Nokian. They make three summer tyres, in different speed ratings. Not really any need to make anything else.

bigyinn
    Free Member

£40 for 2 part worn tyres at the weekend. Fitted.
    Mazda 323

Spud

Not had the need to replace yet but preemptive research suggests around £230 a corner. Different sizes too.

wombat

Just paid £220 for 2 225 45 18 R Z Kumhos for my Mazda 6.

Mazda main dealer wanted £179 a corner for some brand I’ve never heard of and informed me that it was the best deal that I would get 🙄

Got a pair of Avons on the front last year for about the same money (same size)

rickmeister

VW T5 £100 a corner fitted, local van centre 235/55/18

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 136 total)

The topic ‘How much do you pay for car tyres?’ is closed to new replies.