Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • How much discount to expect a a car dealership on SH golf (for cash)
  • mos

I’ve seen a couple of second gand golf GTD’s for sale at about £16-17K at both main stealers and places like motorpoint (like for like the vw used ones seem to be about £1k more than independants).
    If were to pay cash, how much off the screen price should i be expecting to get?

jam-bo

**** all. Cash isn’t king anymore

benji
    Free Member

They will know what kick back they can get from the finance, as most are bought that way at that kind of price. It’s not an undesirable car, so probably won’t be keen to chew there arm of to just shift it.

totalshell

they d rather keep and sell with finace and a nice trade in.. three bites in one cherry.. with your cash offer they only get one.. your the worst buyer they could find.

way to do it is go in ‘fancy that golf’ trade you my car what you ll give me for it and can i finace the diff..let em do the sums etc then stand up and say i might as well pay cash at that price then and pull out yer wad..

totalshell

they d rather keep and sell with finace and a nice trade in.. three bites in one cherry.. with your cash offer they only get one.. your the worst buyer they could find.

way to do it is go in ‘fancy that golf’ trade you my car what you ll give me for it and can i finace the diff..let em do the sums etc then stand up and say i might as well pay cash at that price then and pull out yer wad..

nealglover
    Free Member

They will then tell you how much it will be for cash. And explain why there is a difference.

You aren’t going to get one over on a car dealer that easily.

Mos, if your “cash” is going to borrowed from elsewhere (bank?) you will probably be better off getting the finance at the dealer.
    If its actually savings you have ready to spend, you aren’t going to get any discounts worth having I wouldn’t think.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Buy with finance and pay off immediately.

edlong
    Free Member

Mos, if your “cash” is going to borrowed from elsewhere (bank?) you will probably be better off getting the finance at the dealer.

Really? Last time I compared the APR on dealer-arranged finance to what my bank would lend me it at (unsecured), the bank was better. And not by a small margin. That was a while ago – have things changed much?

trail_rat
    Free Member

yep but a bigger % of a smaller amount as you can leverage with dealer finance.

doesnt always work in your favour but its not as simple as comparing APR

Vern0n
    Free Member

Buy with finance and pay off immediately.

This

Just check no dodgy clauses on closing the finance out early (tho IIRC, don’t think they are allowed to do that any more..?)

stumpy01

nealglover – Member

They will then tell you how much it will be for cash. And explain why there is a difference.

You aren’t going to get one over on a car dealer that easily.

If its actually savings you have ready to spend, you aren’t going to get any discounts worth having I wouldn’t think.

No way. My OH just got a 12 reg Ibiza from a main dealer. The cheapest monthly payment via the dealer finance was over £200. The monthly payments from a Barclays loan over the same term was £160. Guess what one she went for? Dunno what the dealer APR was, but the Barclays loan was at 5.1%.

And they even upped the trade in offer on her Pug 308 and dropped the price of the car by £1k to try and get her to take the finance.
    When this was still too expensive and she said she was going to get the bank loan, they still honoured the £1k discount on the car and the extra money on her trade in.

edlong
    Free Member

yep but a bigger % of a smaller amount as you can leverage with dealer finance.

Could you explain this?

wrightyson
    Free Member

The last (proper) dealer I bought from would only take £5000 in physical cash due to money laundering conditions. However as said above, cash doesn’t really make any difference now a days.

nealglover
    Free Member

Stumpy01, I did say “probably”

In my own experience, buying a new Vito last year. It was far cheaper to get the finance from Mercedes (and the discount they were willing to give because of it) compared with finance from the bank and paying full retail.

Obviously some deals will be different.

Valleyboy123
    Free Member

Get the finance from the dealer then balance transfer to an interest free credit card (deals of 2 years are available) , set up a direct debit and pay it off. You get discount and an interest free deal.

trail_rat
    Free Member

There is nothing to explain.

Ime the price has been less with dealer finance – so you have to do your sums on a smaller ammount

If you have haggled well the dealer will be reluctant /unable to sell at the finance price for cash.

If he rolls over – you were no where near bottom price.

Cash is still king at small dealers if you are willing to buy at trade – ie no warrenty.

Vat disapeared off my van and i got a further 700 quid off it ;)( was only screen priced at 3.5+vat)

andypaul99
    Free Member

[quoteCash is still king at small dealers if you are willing to buy at trade – ie no warrenty[/quote]

no and no. Dealers can only sell trade to the trade, not retail customers, cars must be supplied with a warranty. Even small dealers earn finance commission and volume bonuses, cash isn’t king.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Not in my experiance

swampi
    Free Member

when we bought our last BMW. cash as they put it was a pain as they have to safely store it and bank it. They where so keen for us to use finance(commission for them) even tho we just wanted to buy the car outright we got a 3 grand discount and took the finance and the next day used the option to settle it with just a thirty odd quid settlement fee..dunno of the sales man still got his commission 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I think you will be lucky to get any discount at Motorpoint, I know I tried and couldn’t ( I could be rubbish at it!)

However they are cheaper than most to start with. Oh then there sales people are truly awful. Just google them. I wouldn’t buy from them again.

andypaul99
    Free Member

Just bear in mind that many Motorpoint cars are ex-rental, and may have been abused, check for poor smart repairs both inside and out, and ask to see the V5

ScottChegg
    Free Member

they have to safely store it and bank it.

You don’t have to have a pile of used tenners to have a cash sale.

Most dealers accept debit cards.

nealglover
    Free Member

I think the word “cash” is confusing people.

I bought my second van in “cash” (meaning I didn’t use finance)

I actually wrote them a cheque on Monday, they banked it, and I picked it up on Saturday.

As above, “cash” doesn’t have to mean a briefcase full of used notes.

Daffy

Mos – from the price you’re talking about, I’d guess that most of the cars you’re looking at are under a year old? If yes, buy privately. They’ll all be covered by the manufacturer warranty anyway. That’s how you’ll get the biggest discount.

br
    Free Member

Just bear in mind that many Motorpoint cars are ex-rental, and may have been abused, check for poor smart repairs both inside and out, and ask to see the V5

So what, any s/h car could’ve been abused. In fact I reckon the hire cars we use at work are less likely to be hammered than private cars, based on most of the folk that drive them.

Back to OP. The only way you will find the drop-dead price is by been a serious buyer and be prepared to buy – or walk. You’ll just have put the leg-work in at do a deal with them. But tbh if you want a cheaper deal, buy a less popular car.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

It depends on so many things. If you’re buying from a big dealer or a big car supermarket, you’ll be lucky to get much at all, maybe a few hudreg quid, but they are happy to take you or leave you as they know another buyer will be along shortly.

You’ve got a better chance with a smaller independant dealer, especially with cash, as they don’t benefit from selling someone elses finance, but again, it all depends how much they’ve inflated the asking price to give them some negotiating buffer.

The biggest problem you’ve got is that you’re after a Golf. Perhaps one of the most popular second hand car out there that go for a premium and practially sell themselves. I think you’ll struggle to get much off.

cb

Interested in these finance deals that allow you to pay it all back the next day with no interest charges. Things may have changed but last time I had a loan it allowed early repayment but you still had to settle the loan plus agreed interest.

That is to say a £5k loan may mean paying £6k back over 5 years. It allowed you to pay back the day after taking out the loan if you wished but it would still cost £6k. Is this the difference between unsecured (as mine was – from a bank) and secured against the motor that is being purchased?

bland

So what, any s/h car could’ve been abused. In fact I reckon the hire cars we use at work are less likely to be hammered than private cars, based on most of the folk that drive them.

I would strongly disagree, how many times do you find the rev limiter in your own car or do a bit of rallying?

jam-bo

Interested in these finance deals that allow you to pay it all back the next day with no interest charges. Things may have changed but last time I had a loan it allowed early repayment but you still had to settle the loan plus agreed interest.

isnt there a 14 day cooling off period with any finance product?

tonyg2003

Buying a car earlier this year I found that dealers interest in a sale seriously diminished when they realised that you weren’t going to take their finance.

markrtw
    Free Member

We have only bough 1 car with finance from a Seat dealer. I went to pay it off mid term and found that they work out the daily interest over the term and add that to the purchase price and then we paid instalments against that total (they forward loaded the finance)so you are only paying interest off on the early days. (basically a 10k car becomes approximately a 13k car instantly) Because of the forward loading we saved very little paying it off early over paying it over the full term. I think some loan companies do this too.
    Banks tend to work out the interest daily, but only add it daily, so if you may possibly pay the loan off early you are much better off.
    Been burned once – never again.

Vern0n
    Free Member

As above, just check the terms of the finance carefully.
    Eg IME BMW can be very generous with discount if using their finance, and can be paid off early (with only minimal ‘admin’ fee)

redted
    Free Member

You may also get a better deal at a main dealer towards the end of the month if the salesman needs it for his target. Speaking as an ex VW car salesman.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Old thread but

If you borrow money through the dealer he makes a big commission and to him the payment is the same as cash. Paying cash is the worst option for the dealer. A few years back I saw a commission sheet from a car finance company and the dealer got more commission the higher rate he could sell you, that’s why dealer focuses on monthly payment being affordable and not the rate.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

There is no such thing as a car dealer any more – they’re just finance charlatans how happen to live in a car showroom.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘How much discount to expect a a car dealership on SH golf (for cash)’ is closed to new replies.