Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • How much damage have I just done to my van?
  • andrewh
    Free Member

Possibly one for that thread about mechanical mishaps but anyway…
    2013 2.2 diesel Transit, 100k-ish miles.
    The low oil warning light came on as I was going to work.
    After work I checked the oil, yep, wee bit low, right at the bottom of the dipstick so I topped it up.
    Drove 5 miles to a petrol station.
    There was a funny burning smell when I stopped, must be that fire in the yard over there.
    Filled up, and set off again. The low oil warning light was on again. I wonder how long they take to register that it’s got more in now? Maybe it’s still not enough, I’ll leave it to settle and check before I use it again.
    I got home, andother 9 miles, so 14 miles altogether. There was still a burning smell, albeit much stronger. Smells like buring rubber. Is it me?
    I opened the bonnet.
    Bollox.
    I hadn’t put the oil cap back on. Oil everywhere.
    It had been running fine so I don’t think I’ve buggered the engine itself. I can get some more oil and refill easily enough, not sure how much I’ve lost but it really is everywhere so probably a good time to change the filter and things rather than just top up.
    The question really is, how much damage has spraying oil all over the alternator, some of the belts, the electrical connections, etc, etc likely to have done?
    Should I get it professionally cleaned sharpish or just leave it to drip and then let heat do the rest as I drive about? Anything I should do immediately to prevent further damage, is there anything which should be cleaned NOW?
    Thanks

Poopscoop

I’m not a mechanic but I suspect the oil covered belts are the only real issue.

Get it cleaned off the exhaust manifold etc to stop the burning smell though.

trail_rat
    Free Member

More damage was done by letting the light come on than from the oil spraying.

At least It might slow down the impending rot.

Them 2.2s Generally only burns oil if it’s screaming for a service so where is the oil going.

eyestwice
    Free Member

I’d worry about the belts.

Electrical connections are probably well covered anyway?

Everything else – yeah, it’ll smell bad as it burns off. But I wouldn’t be concerned about any damage.

andrewh
    Free Member

Worth a belt change or just a wipe down and keep an eye on them? No timing belt, it’s chain, just some aux belts.
    The oil was changed in Feb, checked whenever I remember, possibly not since June come to think of it, last big journey, so yes, might have been a bit low for a while. It was still on the dipstick, but right at the bottom

At least It might slow down the impending rot.

That had occured to me! Pleased to note it’s covered a few bit of the chasis 🙂

andrewh
    Free Member

Electrical connections are probably well covered anyway?

They are waterproof. Might be some rubber seals in there to damage or is it just plastic and uses tightness to keep the water out?

RustyNissanPrairie

New aux belt and whilst tinkering in that area change the crank pulley before it separates itself (I’m presuming the 2.2 is the same as the 2.4). Mine debonded around the 100k mile mark and stranded me.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Mmmm, get it checked out. Im no mechanic, but.
    Same engine in my Ranger, at 100k it decided to require a Head Gasket.
    Garage who repaired it were of the opinion that it was common, but as he said “we only see things that are a problem”

andrewh
    Free Member

Is a crank pully an easyish DIY job?
    I have a Haynes book and a have a go attitude 😁

Just been out cleaning it. Maybe not as bad as first thought, the oil is again right at the bottom of the dipstick so maybe less than 2 pints sprayed everywhere.
    I’ve wiped everything I can and sprayed a lot of WD40 around, hopefully that will encourage it to drip off overnight and I’ll reassess in daylight.

devash
    Free Member

The exact same thing happened to the work van in my last job. Our driver topped up the oil and forgot to put the cap back on.

Only thing that happened was that the van stunk of oil for the next two years until it was replaced with the new lease.

andrewh
    Free Member

Mine smells of sweaty riding kit and GT85, a bit of variety won’t hurt

duncancallum

As long as your oil pressure light wasn’t on don’t worry

andrewh
    Free Member

Little warning message in the middle of the dash, the wee screen where the mileometer is with a red light above it, that said low oil level, but not the big red scary light so it can’t have been that low. I hope…

jamiemcf

Mine smells of sweaty riding kit and GT85, a bit of variety won’t hurt

Buy muffin, eat the muffin, jam the paper down the dashboard vent and savour that delicious warm muffin smell every time you put the heaters on.

That sorts the above problems

squirrelking
    Free Member

Lmao, you should see the nick of my C8 and it only uses a litre every 5k. Must have a homeopathic filter because whatever is leaking puts the tiniest amount of oil EVERYWHERE! If its sitting at the bottom of the stick it’ll be fine, there will be built in tolerances. You won’t do that again though, I certainly never after I coated my Civic (similar burny smell but I realised after a mile).

db

I would say a bit of extra rust proofing in a transit is fine 🙂

Oil will shorten the life of rubber belts and bushes etc but they will not suddenly break down. Did similar years ago on a Citroen BX and just kept an eye on the belts. Pretty sure trying to ‘steam clean’ the engine did more harm than covering it all in oil.

piemonster

They are waterproof

Its a Transit

Its, “Theyre hopefully waterproof”

mert
    Free Member

My mum did about 2500 miles with no oil cap on after she had to top up her company car with oil.

My brother and i both learnt in that car, i’m sure we did more damage than the oil being sprayed all over the inside of the engine bay.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Its, “Theyre hopefully waterproof”

Which, either way, is moot. Electronics won’t give a single solitary **** if they get sprayed or even fully immersed in oil. It’s an excellent insulant and has the added bonus of keeping water out.

fossy

I’ve only ever left the cap off once but the bonnet was still open. A streak of oil splattered all over the bonnet (chain driven).

franksinatra

I drove from Buckinghamshire to North Wales with oil cap off in my Nova 1.5 diesel many years ago. Made a right mess with oil mist everywhere but no harm done at all. I just cleaned the car and carried on. The nuts thing was the the oil cap was still safely on top of the washer fluid reservoir where I had left it at the start of the journey.

andrewh
    Free Member

I don’t know if this is cause and effect or a coincidence of timing but my alternator died at the weekend, that did get quite a bit of the oil in it.
    New, well refurbished, one being being fitted and the aux belt changed at the same time.
    No other ill effects have been noticed, apart from the fact it still smells a bit when it’s hot.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.