Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • How much cocodamol can I take without doing myself harm? :D
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

Got the most incredible gnawing back ache, after a few doc/physio visits I'm told it's muscular spasms but it feels like tooth ache and is worst when I'm sat down trying to get some work done, takes my breath away if I relax the wrong way, and the wrong way could be any way it decides. Best painkiller I could get was 500/8 cocodamols, will taking 4 damage me?!

GaryLake
    Free Member

Obviously not a medical professional here but, what about taking something else in conjunction?

I've recently had a painful heart condition and they had me on Tramadol, Cocodamol and Ibuprofen.

Slept like a baby the first few nights. When they sent me home the cocodamol was replaced by paracetamol. The tramadol is good stuff if you can blag that.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I've got codydramol at home (after an op) which are slightly better at taking the edge off, but not much. Problem is I can't get anything else from the pharmacy and the docs are several days waiting away. I was thinking of upping to 2 tablets every 2 hours instead of every 4, I think it's hard to OD on the co but the mol is a different matter. I am a big guy (17stone) so normal dosages don't really hit that hard. I'm not sure how I'd get tramadol without a doc!"

GaryLake
    Free Member

No, Tramadol isn't the sort of thing they're going to just hand out at the Pharmacy… 🙁

What about trying some NSAID-based gels directly to the back area in addition the the pills?

freddyg
    Free Member

Can you get to a local shop for some Ibuprofen ?

You can alternate this with the co-codamol* (contains paracetamol) every two hours. Therefore take your co-codamol, 2 hours later take ibuprofen, 2 hrs later co-codamol – repeat to pain-free bliss.

* I am not a doctor, anything I say could be complete b*llocks.

Drac

Switch between the Brufen and Cocodamol like FreedyG suggested, don't **** about with Codeine.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Just remember with the cocodamol that constipation and back pain aren't a great combination

Pieface

What FreddyG said. This was advised by a Nurse over the weekend.

Co-codamol is a combination of Paracetamol and Codeine.

Strange how you can buy Cocodamol in a pack of 32 (500mg paracetamol) but paracetamol in a max of 16 tablets at 500mg (I think)

AdamW
    Free Member

Remember folks that cocodamol is a mixture of paracetamol and codeine. Paracetamol can be vicious stuff in an overdose situation. I think if you take something like ten pills at once you're most probably going to die. Painfully. (that's 500mg tablets).

Obviously a doc is the best bet. How about calling NHS direct?

Drac

I think if you take something like ten pills at once you're most probably going to die. Painfully

The codeine will possibly have you in a nice sleep before the Paracetamol dissolves your liver.

Oh and if you want advice ring the pharmacist who gave you the co-codamol.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Sorry I've not replied, the first normal dose of cocodamols and ibuprofen aren't helping (taken at 11am) – I was just on the floor feeling dizzy and with tinnitus that sounded like I was in a hyper-speed modem. Things have eased a little now, I now have warm-feeling arms. I'd visit the doc but seeing as it's an ongoing condition they just want me to put my life on hold and wait until my next appointment without anything other than OTC painkillers. I'm not one for taking tablets or moaning, this is practically crippling me – took me 5 minutes supported on my arms and elbows just to get up for a pee 🙁 The pharmacist who gave me cocodamol said they couldn't do anything else and I would have to see a doctor. But she did come across as little more than a sales assistant.

s.p.adshead
    Free Member

As AdamW says – its a mixture, you can get stronger co-codamol tablets, but these contain more codeine (upto 500/30 which have 30mg codeine), so two tabs, i.e. 1000mg paracetamol every 6 hours is the maximum safe dose.

You need to speak to your doctor if you need more pain killers / co-codamol isn't touching it.

faint
    Free Member

i get prescribed diclofenac (SP) nsaid anti-imflammatory from the doctor, works wonders when my lower back spasms. I think one of the top brand companies are using it in lower dosage in an off the shelf product but the
    stuff from doc's a lot better.

If it is the same problem as mine anti-imflammatory not pain relief
    and the gels didn't work

robdob
    Free Member

Surely if the painkillers aren't doing anything another approach is needed? I damaged my neck 4 years ago and the first 2 doc's visits prescribed me painkillers. They didn't do anything at all and I was in similar pain to you.
    Eventually he prescribed Diazepam (only 5mg IIRC) as a muscle relaxant and it worked much better. I was able to walk more than 20ft and not be in agony. Physio/Chiro helped me recover after that.

robdob
    Free Member

faint +1 – diclofenac is ace!

coffeeking
    Free Member

NHS direct just told me to get an urgent docs appointment and have faxed through their assessment. Ugghh.

Drac

Christ they didn't say dial 999? Now that's rare.

Yup diclofenic are good anti-inflamatory.

Pieface

I've given up on NHS Direct, all they ever do is advise you to get it checked out by the Doctor / Hopsital

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

As said above – do not increase the dose of co codamol you have – too much paracetomol. You can get co codamol with more codeine – so you could perhaps get some pure codeine from your pharmacist to supplement it ( at the risk of getting sleepy / constipated) or you could ask your pharmacist for stronger OTC painkillers which are available – or add ibuprofen or as I would do – go back to the docs ASAP and get a prescription for something better

coffeeking
    Free Member

Doc is calling me back ASAP and hopefully will prescribe for me to pick up on my way home. Pharmacist wasn't at all helpful so I'll leave it to the doc and hopefully they'll get me something that takes the edge off without wiping me out, I've too much on!

molgrips
    Free Member

Right.. I've had the odd crippling back spasm episode, and neck too.. dunno if yours is the same thing tho but:

1) are you in bed? If not you should be.
    2) try a heat pack, lots of this kind of thing available from boots. Or duct tape* a hot water bottle to your back. If your car has heated seats then this can be good for your back when on full.

* other fixing methods may be more comfortable but less secure.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

molgrips – bad advice to go to bed – it will prolong the attack and make it worse. Modern advice is to keep moving.

brassneck

Don't think diclofenac is available OTC – I was prescribed it for kidney stones, but moved directly to pethadine, do not pass water, do not collect £200 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

I was fine in bed, best nights sleep in a while, it was getting into the car that set it off again 🙁 I'm OKish if walking, but sitting is crippling me. In order to get some work done I may have to lie down, or develop a kind of bib for walking and writing at teh same time!

Dylan08
    Free Member

Its a filthy drug buddy – be carefull

Just because its legal doesnt mean its clean!!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Does it not shower? 😆

robdob
    Free Member

My problem was that my trapezoid muscle was spasming, trapping the nerve in my spine. Couldn't sleep or walk about much. Most comfortable position was the very expensive office chair we had in the spare room, with ICE on it as much as possible. Although I did have the odd ultra hot shower (until I nearly got scalded) as that helped too. Last thing I wanted to do is go to bed, waaaay too painful!

molgrips
    Free Member

Bed was the only thing that helped me. Agony got worse and worse til I lay down and got it properly relaxed. Note that not all lying down relaxes your back…

Then I couldn't walk when I had it the worst.. took me about two hours to get home when it was normally 10 minutes. And no f*cker stopped to ask if I was ok as I was inching along grimacing with pain.. 🙁

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

dunno, but after my knee op the codamol (super stength hospital doage stuff) had me zoned out on the sofa for 2 weeks.

In a whole world of pain, but with enough of a warm fuzzy feeling to make it not seem very important 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

Now on 500/30 para/cod from the doctor who wouldn't prescribe anything stronger without seeing me in person, and it takes the edge off but little else. Don't feel particularly fuzzy but did sleep like a log last night. Still can't sit down for more than 10 minutes without being in agony.

nockmeister
    Free Member

Do not take Diclofenac on it's own, long term…it screws your stomach up. you need to take it with another drug to combat the diclofenac, can't remember the name of it

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘How much cocodamol can I take without doing myself harm? :D’ is closed to new replies.