Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • How much cash do you save by not running a car?
  • IHN

I do keep exact records, per vehicle

Those long winter evenings must fly by, eh Pete? 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Pretty sure he could have found a cheaper car to insure, though.
    However, it might not have been as “cool”.

Probably – but that isn’t my business.

tonyd

A lot of people don’t have the option of not running a car. We run two – one family car so the missus can get the kids about (no, she can’t realistically walk everywhere), and one so I can get to work. I’ve started cycling but it’s a 35 mile round trip and too tiring at the moment to do more than three times a week.

If we can move closer to my work we’d love to drop to just one car and save some money, unfortunately that hasn’t happened yet.

miketually
    Free Member

I get to not drive and pay for the wife’s car. The worst of both worlds.

I also have to pay for the dogs, who I may hate more than the car. At least the car doesn’t fart while I’m eating.

zilog6128

I’ve saved about £1600 in fuel by riding to work rather than driving for the last 14 months. Of course I have spent far more than that on bikes & bike bits, plus I’m still paying insurance, VED, MOT, etc. Maybe I should “run the numbers” and see just how much I could save by getting rid of the car entirely (GF has one, I use mine only once a fortnight on average!). There is a big fear-factor about being car-less, although I seemed to manage fine when I was younger!

joolsburger
    Free Member

Not much if you run a car within your means. If you go and buy one on credit then you’d save absolutely loads by getting rid.

I reckon all in my main car has cost around £750 per year over the last three years including depreciation (apart from petrol) and in that time has been completely dependable.

falkirk-mark

I had a foreign holiday and I have a car ( I am living the dream) 😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

I save enough in fuel by riding to work to pay for the car to sit on my drive for when i want to use it.

Its a savin based on the fact that my previous house was an 80 mile round trip in the car.

miketually
    Free Member

We average about 6000 miles a year in our car, 1000 of which is on the summer camping holiday. Our per-mile costs for insurance, VED, MOT, etc. are ridiculous.

nedrapier

I’m confused. I’ve been to France and the Isle of Man this year, but was in the car both times. Will I die?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

falkirk-mark – Member
    I had a foreign holiday and I have a car ( I am living the dream)
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

Given your name, I assume you regard England as abroad and that doesn’t count.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I have a car that I use to commute to work in. It’s just over 30miles each way so riding both ways each day isn’t really an option.

I know it costs me money but it gets me to work in order to earn money.

+1

well, just under 30 miles actually. I did try cycling one summer, bike in boot, drive in, cycle home, cycle in next morning, drive home with bike in boot. but it took over 2 hours each way (I’m crap at going up hills, as anyone who’s ever ridden with me will know, & there are 4 of them between home & work). That and the laptop would have made me unbalanced. And the eejits in cars.

anyway, I’ve just had my car serviced, MOTd & one new tyre for just over £200. £2k is almost as much as it’s worth.

£70pw fuel at today’s prices. £200pa servicing. £220pa (ish) VED. £28pm insurance. £100pm finance £5600pa in total.

but if I didn’t have it I’d spend £4160pa on train fares & spend 35 minutes each way standing around on draughty/rainy/cold/wet platforms and a ten minute walk at each end. So I think the car, relatively speaking, costs me £1440 a year. For the convenience, time saving & ability to move my drums around, I think it’s worth it

falkirk-mark

Given your name, I assume you regard England as abroad and that doesn’t count.

The only part of England worth going to is the Lakes.
    Spain and Portugal this year.
    Lakes possibly this weekend, do I need a passport? 😆

simmy
    Free Member

£7,750 ish per annum on the car which is

Diesel @ £70 per week

Lease @ £311 per month

Insurance @ £500

But running a Driving School means I need it 8)

If I was in my old job where I commuted, I would Definatley use the Bike day in day out.

Aside from the school car, I dont like cars anymore. Sounds daft but ive lost and spent too much over the years.

I bought a one owner, 97 Polo 3 years ago for £1200 with 52k on it and its prob cost me £350 since then on tyres etc.

Just been through MOT needing a bush and cost under £100 all in so I take care of it servicing myself etc but if anything major went I could get stuff from the breakers or just scrap it and get something else.

I use it to transport the bike on the roof rack and the bike is worth more than the car 😳

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Another dopey thread. Why are there so many dipsticks on this forum?
    I’d ‘save’ a fortune by not running a car but i’d spend the same having a life.

ianpinder
    Free Member

Excluding petrol, my car has cost me less then 10% of what I have spent on bikes this year.

And I’ve been on holiday for 6 months of the year so far. My colleuges hate me

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

If I could do only one, I’d rather drive my car than ride a bike.

MrGrim

I drive a car, ride a bike AND go on holiday……ooooooooooohhhhhhh get me!

footflaps

I saved over £200k today by not buying a Ferarri 458….

Just taken some figures from my budget spreadsheet and running and owning my ‘car’ costs just shy of £16,000 p.a. or just over £1300 p.m.

I do use it for work though…

timc
    Free Member

nobody will ever appreciate a tight ar5es boasts

randomjeremy
    Free Member

How do people with no cars cope when they have to do things like go to the hospital or go shopping, or go and collect a takeaway or take day trips, or go to job interviews etc?

amedias
    Free Member

How do people with no cars cope when they have to do things like go to the hospital or go shopping, or go and collect a takeaway or take day trips, or go to job interviews etc?

walk, use public transport, skip, ride a bike, use a taxi… you could even use a horse if you really really wanted…

miketually
    Free Member

Any other non-drivers here? I’m 35 and haven’t got a driving license.

Saves on arguments over who drinks and who drives whenever we visit people at Christmas 🙂

DrP

I need a car for my job.

But that’s because I’m Mercury Morgan, and without my car, a rocket pack, a huge ramp, and twenty elephants all lined up in a row, I’d have no show to put on……

DrP

Keva
    Free Member

I wonder how did people ever cope before there were cars?

Coyote
    Free Member

Or electricity, running water, piped gas, telephony, cooker, oven, shower, television, Internet etc, etc, etc…

The car is an integral part of modern life. Many things are made considerably easier by their presence. May not be perfect but it’s there.

amedias
    Free Member

The car is an integral heavily over-used part of modern life **for some**. Many things are made considerably easier by their presence. Many things are also made considerably harder by their presence

(FWIW – I do have a car)

seosamh77
    Free Member

not better up totting up the cost to travel without a car and then compare?

I’d reckon my yearly travel costs are:

Bike: £800/5 years(I’ve buy a new one every 5 years) + 100 year maintenance.

Bus: when the weathers bad and I can’t be bothered cycling, probably spend about 150 on bus fares a year

Train: for trips on the bike up north, dunno, 7 or 8 trips a year, roughly 20 each, so 160

gutties: £100, tis amazing up much you wear trainers down over the year when you trek quite alot.

I’ll obviously not add in flights and foreign travel, but that’s probably what I spend a year in normal travel around glasgow and short jaunts away where I would use a car.

So not to run a car probably costs me, around 670 per year. call it £800 to add some leeway to the above.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Before there were cars, many more services were localised, now they are regionalised.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I find grown adults who choose not to learn to drive a bit unsettling to be honest.

miketually
    Free Member

I find grown adults who choose not to learn to drive a bit unsettling to be honest.

Why? I find grown adults who are unsettled by the decisions of other grown adults to be unsettling 😉

amedias
    Free Member

Why? I find grown adults who are unsettled by the decisions of other grown adults to be unsettling

agreed, why is it unsettling? it’s not a requirement, and for many it’s not even desirable.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Can’t really put a finger on it, but I feel the same way about men over the age of about 25 with earrings. Something about them sits wrong with me.

amedias
    Free Member

how odd 🙂

andrewrchambers
    Free Member

I’ve had a car for about 3 months now. It costs me a fortune to insure because I’ve held a license for 10 years without actually driving or gaining a no claims discount.

Since owning it I’ve:

* Been on holiday (In the car) in France with the OH
    * Seen my family more
    * Ridden my bike on better hills more frequently
    * Seen far away friends more
    * Saved money on booze due to “I have to drive” (It’s a nice excuse since I’ve been attempting to curb the habit recently anyway).
    * Had none of those “I would go but I don’t think its worth it to get 3 trains to do it” moments.

I now consider it a pretty essential part of my life and enjoy life much more with it – definitely worth the money.

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘How much cash do you save by not running a car?’ is closed to new replies.