Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • How much booze does it take
  • Ambrose

to be able to smell it on a person the next day? I met someone today and well, they stank of it.

wheelsonfire1

They might have just had some on the current day?

airvent
    Free Member

Always wondered this, at no point has anyone I’ve ever had a night out with still stunk the next day of the alcohol and that includes people that have finished entire bottles of vodka off

Poopscoop

Whisky stinks a goodun.

I think it depends what they’ve drink as much as how much.

johndoh
    Free Member

And why does it matter? You met someone who had a drink before you met them. Is there a concern?

Drac

Always wondered this, at no point has anyone I’ve ever had a night out with still stunk the next day of the alcohol and that includes people that have finished entire bottles of vodka off

Really? Could be you couldn’t smell as you stunk of it too.

airvent
    Free Member

Really? Could be you couldn’t smell as you stunk of it too.

Now you’ve unleashed a deep paranoia

FB-ATB

So your Tinder date was a disappointment then?

mrmoofo

OP – unless they are trying to arrest you, do surgery on you , or driving the Uber you are in , why is it any of your business?

Maybe he had bene at wake after burying his brother ?

Ambrose

You are right, it’s none of my business. However, I am interested to know.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

why is it any of your business?

This. Have you a reason to be concerned?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

We have a member of staff who regularly starts his shift as a passenger assistant, on buses with SEN children on board while he stinks of booze. He must have a drink on a morning.
    Been reported loads of times, nowt happens.

TiRed

Realistically, assume you can smell about the equivalent of three units, which will put you at or about the drink driving limit. Then add a unit an hour back to when one presumes they stopped. Say eight to ten hours, so about 10-15 units on board.

Typically adults can eliminate one unit per hour and it is linear. You won’t get drunk drinking half a pint an hour. But the problem with alcohol is the rate we put it in exceeds the rate we eliminate it. Two pints an hour is six units per hour and only one removed. So five units left at the end of the hour and so on….

jambourgie
    Free Member

You can get rid of the smell though. How, I’ve no idea. I used to go out with a girl who had a serious drink enthusiasm. Like, six bottles of wine a day. When we first started going out she’d often stay at mine and I’d go to work the next morning. All she did with her life was get drunk and  take photos of herself and post them on Instagram . So anyway, I’d come home at lunchtime and she’d be absolutely hammered watching Jeremy Kyle. Thing is, she didn’t smell of booze and she swore blind she’d not been drinking. “What, at half twelve!? I’m not that bad!” etc etc…

I didn’t realise at that early stage what a lush she was. But it was so strange, her eyes were rolling around in her head, unable to focus, slurred speech. The full deck. I’d look in the fridge, no booze. Glance at my ‘bar’ on the bookshelf, all full, everything in order. She didn’t smell of booze. She had me thinking was nuts.

It wasn’t until many months after we’d finished that me and a mate were about to head out to the pub when I suggest Tequila slammers. Got everything set up and grabbed the full bottle of tequila from the bar… it was water. All the bottles were full of water. The brown ones I’m assuming were cold tea.

It was actually really funny in a I KNEW IT! kind of way. She was great fun though bless her, but those few months probably took ten years off my life 🙂

tuboflard

She was a chronic alcoholic then @jambourgie, bit more than a lush… hope she got some professional help. Alcoholism is a crippling disease.

TiRed

There is a reason why almost nobody is convicted of being five times over the DD limit. If you are four times over the limit (custodial sentence), you’re a chronic alcoholic. Most people can’t function at that intoxication, let alone drive a car.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Assuming they’ve had a good sleep after a bevvy. Well, a shower, brushing their teeth and some deodorant will mask any remaining smells. So either tell them they need to start showering in the morning or stop having a drink before they go to work.

thols2

I think TiRed has it. It’s just a matter of how your body needing time to process the alcohol. If you slam back 10 pints and sleep for six hours, you’ll still have alcohol in your blood and that will show up on your breath.

vazaha

At the risk of being whipped as i normally am when saying anything…

Once i was on a massive bender with someone who was at Sandhurst – we went large when ‘out’, then hit the Jamesons at home.

I only relate this because when the ^above got back the next day, the SM literally yelled at him “Mr *********, your head smells of Whiskey!”

My guess would be if you can smell it on them, they’ve had a lot, and recently.

tillydog
    Free Member

Possible alternative explanation:

diabetic ketoacidosis

onehundredthidiot

Nope DKA smells very different to alcohol.
    Ketones and aldehydes altogether different in smell than the boozy ethanol (include hangover) smell.

tillydog
    Free Member

Didn’t realise that you shared a nose with @Ambrose 😉

singletrackmind

Is it possible they spilt a load down themselves?
    Working in a brewery and often getting covered in beer, if i took my overalls home to wash and left them in the car overnight the next day my csr stank of beer
    Like the late night kebab smell, i know yoy know what i mean

james-rennie

In my experience some people just emit more of a boozy smell than others. In the years before our kids arrived me & mrs would drink the same amount, but the next day I would be worse in terms of smelling of beer, and feeling hungover.
    I guess her body was just somehow better at digesting the alcoholic drinks. Genetics maybe, I dunno..

kelvin

Absolutely it does. If you know about such things. They can be confused by those that don’t though.

[ as an aside … so glad ketone blood meters replaced peeing on sticks ]

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.