Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • how much an hour for a gardener
  • easygirl

had a few quotes
    what are you paying a gardener?

rocketman
    Free Member

£15-£20 for digging the borders over mowing lawn etc nothing too serious

trail_rat
    Free Member

retired gentleman doing it to keep busy – 15-20 quid an hour

man with business supplying own tools and vehicle to run 25-30 quid an hour.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    neil853
    Free Member

You’re telling me people who dig weeds over and mow lawns are getting paid £20 an hour 😯

soobalias
    Free Member

mate of mine does grass cutting/hedge cutting, last time i asked him he was charging £15/hr
    mostly small private work

bren2709

Would have thought £10-15 should be enough.

trail_rat
    Free Member

your 20 quid per hours quickly buggers off once you start running the tools. If customer supplies their own tools then thats a different kettle of fish.

Thing was people paid it gladly if you did a good job because they didnt like to do the”easy” menial tasks. – but your mind can only take so much of it !

alexxx
    Free Member

my mates a gardener at a large hotel up in the lakes that wins awards for its garden – if he went freelance he said he’d start around £12… but really thinking of his costs it should be over £15 easy.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I was quoted £20+VAT but managed to wangle a cash deal at £15 for 2-3 hours a week.

Guess it depends on location – south east likely to be higher than the scottish highlands!

trail_rat
    Free Member

just out of curiousity – what tools do you think you use as a gardener ? – and what do you think maintainance is on them ?

Liftman

cash deal at £15 for 2-3 hours a week

Be carefull freely admiting that with this goverment around the tax fraud investigaters will be tracking you and the gardner down 😳

trb
    Free Member

just out of curiousity – what tools do you think you use as a gardener ? – and what do you think maintainance is on them ?

My dad is a “retired doing it to fill in time” gardener and he has :
    petrol mower x 2
    petrol strimmer x 2
    petrol hedge cutter
    petrol leaf blower
    Small trailer to carry it all.

The pro down the road from me can add :
    Transit van
    Large trailer
    Ride on mower
    Chainsaws x 2 plus safety kit
    Rotovators large and small
    Jet wash
    Insurance

Add to that all of the hand tools required and you have quite a capital investment to recoup. Then add the cost of being responsible and taking the refuse to the tip.

They have all the right kit so they can do a good job in a short time!

kcal

plus, presumably the work kind of tails off in the winter.

It’s an interesting side thought as a ‘career’ but as said, if you’re the one with the kit, and you’ve maybe got a family to feed and a house to run off it, then you’d be looking at £20 easily.

depends on the job done, how tidy they are, and what it’s worth to you *not* having to do it..?

rudebwoy
    Free Member

absolute minimum is £10 ph– but it is all about vfm, a good one at £15 is better than a poor one at £10.

If you have a regular, a deal should be struck that is fair to both parties– my wife works for a woman who runs a garden/landscape business- my wife is a worker ant, so gets less than£10 ph.

trail_rat
    Free Member

TRB has it ….

grass cutting shuts off in the winter but we were never short of work.

alot of clients kept us going through the winter doing the odd jobs like rotating the compost heaps/ cleaning up the leaves / hacking sticks to ensure we came back the next spring as demand was high in our area for gardeners.

flip
    Free Member

I have my own gardening business http://www.gardenchief.co.uk.

I try not to charge hourly rates, i try to charge per job because if i quoted per hour people wouldn’t pay. I am a very fast worker and get loads done in an hour so i can move on to my next job.

For instance yesterday i cut a 40ft long x 12ft high conifer hedge i charged £80 it was his lowest quote, it took me 1 1/2hrs. He was very pleased.

Before i started on my own i would have said £10 per hr was enough but now i work for myself i know it doesn’t work like that.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

The OP should have a good idea now– as you say flip there are many variables

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Bottle of sun tan lotion and a can of diet coke

redthunder
    Free Member

how much an hour for a gardener

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘how much an hour for a gardener’ is closed to new replies.