Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • How many 'undateables' are on here?
  • Suggsey
    Free Member

Just watching it now and just thinking how many odd types are on here………from some threads I’ve read I’m guessing a fair few 😆

jimjam
    Free Member

Never watched it. Don’t want to either. Seems in very poor taste and exploitative to say the least.

mudshark
    Free Member

Can’t judge what you haven’t seen, I enjoy it.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I married the 2nd one who said yes (not for long tho).

solarpowered
    Free Member

I’m definately ‘one’ but I think everyone is in their own little way! I love the programme as it teaches ignorant people like me that ‘different’ is actually normal!! …. If you get what I mean?!…
    Love it and don’t feel it derogatory in any way or form, I believe it’s how you interpret it that’s the important bit. But then what do I know! 😉

jimjam
    Free Member

mudshark

Can’t judge what you haven’t seen, I enjoy it.

Is the trailer misleading then? It seemed pretty clear to me that it was a programme where people with disabilities, learning difficulties or deformities went on dates?

MoreCashThanDash

It’s often very touching – they are just people who crave affection like the rest of us and find it harder to attract partners due to their issues. MrsMC is a right-on PC social worker with (albeit mild) cerebral palsy, she’s yet to find it exploitative or in bad taste.

I loved the Scouser with tourettes couple of series ago – ended the date by shouting “Great tits!”

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I loved the Scouser with tourettes couple of series ago – ended the date by shouting “Great tits!”

I actually cried with laughter. What a lad.

yunki
    Free Member

Yeah my other half watched it a while back (she’s right-on and a clever clogs too) and she reckoned it was very moving and empowering.. So from that I’m guessing it probably wasn’t quite as offensive as you’re hoping jimjam

She and I are both undateables pretty much FWIW

MoreCashThanDash

ended the date by shouting “Great tits!”

Strangely, it didn’t work when I tried it…..

Suggsey
    Free Member

I find it interesting for the fact it is what it is although having known a desperate undateables who turned out to be a sex offender and a danger to women, some of them do really concern me. We all have our own special ways/ traits and I have read many a thread or comment that’s made me think just how desperate/ depressed/ lonely some folk are on here!

Cougar

Strangely, it didn’t work when I tried it…..

Because they’re called “moobs”?

DezB
    Free Member

Seems in very poor taste and exploitative to say the least.

Nah. I can see why you would get that impression. And of course, it is the done thing to be offended and as politically correct as possible on STW (even if you’re not like that really), but the Undateables is the most heart warming TV programme I’ve ever seen.
    I’ve never been the sort to be pleased for other people, but this show has changed me!
    Maybe I’ll find a date myself one day. (I have really)

munrobiker
    Free Member

42 must be a contender.

MoreCashThanDash

Harsh cougar, harsh. If only there was someone I could report you to…. 😉

Cougar

Other Moderators Are Also Available.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I can relate to quite a few of them and really enjoy the series.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Did anyone see the guy on last weeks episode, with the stammer? Who was a life model. With a genuine bride frightener, as C4 were only too keen to show us 😯 . I had a teenager watching and 😯 is exactly what her face did.

sparrowlegs78
    Free Member

Undatable here, autistic and a face that looks like its been on fire and put out with a shovel!
    Caz xx

teasel
    Free Member

And of course, it is the done thing to be offended and as politically correct as possible on STW (even if you’re not like that really)

It’s funny cos it’s true. I find myself getting all flustered and indignant when reading some opinions on here – could I really be a wereliberal…?

MoreCashThanDash

Is it just me or are the ladies who date some of the “undateable” men getting more attractive and less “undateable”. Be a bit disappointed if anyone was using this just as a chance for 15 minutes of fame.

Rubber_Buccaneer

more attractive and less “undateable”.

No, you’re just becoming less picky 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Never watch the programme as its a ‘pity’ entertainment show. Designed to make it look like a ‘look how well they are doing’ but really for us to look down on them and pity them. No ta.

Aren’t a lot of STW’ers single/struggle with social situations?

sc-xc

^ that says much more about you, and your tiny mind than it does about the show.

wwaswas

^ that says much more about you, and your tiny mind than it does about the show.

bit harsh but I agree with the sentiment.

My 2p;

When I was growing up we never saw people with special needs beyond the odd bus from the local ‘disabled school’.

I think that with special needs it’s almost like a sort of ‘fear of the other’ for a lot of people in society. There’s a general feeling of being slightly uncomfortable with people who don’t/can’t fit in with social norms as far as their behaviour or appearance are concerned. In some ways it’s like a form of racism – a difference that leads to uncertainty which some express as disgust, some fear and withdrawal/denial and others choose to accept.

The more that people with special needs (however broadly we define them) are seen as having the same life goals, desires and concerns as everyone else (and why wouldn’t they?) the better. I think this program helps with that goal.

It’s not portraying these people as a load of circus freaks to point and laugh at – it’s a touching real life social drama we can all learn from.

hora
    Free Member

No its a pity show. Its not a Zoo. If it was just about their every day lives and how they go about getting up, work and general social interactions that I can understand but it wouldn’t be masses-pulling light entertainment would it? No. It has to be out ‘can they pull’.

That IS light entertainment. They have to perform for our amusement. Lets face it. Its not about their life is it. Its about one very narrow emotive segment. The rest of their life wouldn’t hold the audiences attention span. Back in your box.

BadlyWiredDog

It’s both surely. The perception’s in the mind of the viewer. Something can have genuine social or educational or ethical value and still be entertaining. The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

Put down the black and white thinking… 😉

wwaswas

That IS light entertainment. They have to perform for our amusement. Lets face it. Its not about their life is it. Its about one very narrow emotive segment. The rest of their life wouldn’t hold the audiences attention span. Back in your box.

there’s a vast number of dating shows on tv – the reason they’re popular is because people can relate to them and enjoy playing the ‘who will they pick’ game.

this show is no different.

You’re right a program about someone with cerebral palsy doing the washing up is not going to be a big draw on tv.

Same way we don’t have ‘people having a dump’ reality tv – we all do it but we don’t necessarily want to watch someone else having a go at it for an hour.

sc-xc

Trust me. After years of reading your brain dumps On this forum, I know what a pity show is.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I don’t watch it. The trailer just reminds me of ‘The boy with an arse for a face’ comedy sketch.
    I am actually allowed to laugh at this guilt free.

jimjam
    Free Member

sc-xc

There’s nothing tiny minded about not seeking to increase your pc credentials vicariously, taking sympathy on poor loveable disabled folk. They’re just like us you know.

Yes I do f***ing know and treat them accordingly.

wwaswas

The more that people with special needs (however broadly we define them) are seen as having the same life goals, desires and concerns as everyone else (and why wouldn’t they?) the better. I think this program helps with that goa

Have them on Take me out or Blind Date then. Perhaps there is value in the show as an educational tool for people who are ignorant of the fact that people with disabilities are actually human and have the same needs and emotions as everyone else.

It’s not portraying these people as a load of circus freaks to point and laugh at – it’s a touching real life social drama we can all learn from.

And yet that’s exactly how the show is marketed. Whilst the marketing is only that, marketing, it’s still a tv show. It’s primary purpose is to entertain.

sc-xc

here’s nothing tiny minded about not seeking to increase your pc credentials vicariously, taking sympathy on poor loveable disabled folk. They’re just like us you know.

Yes I do f***ing know and treat them accordingly.

hora
    Free Member

Trust me. After years of reading your brain dumps On this forum, I know what a pity show is.

No I owned you on my reply back darling. So you want to watch a show dedicated to setting up/for light entertainment about one aspect of someone with learning difficulties that’d be very watchable and able to poke fun at? You think your a better person than me? Personally I’d rather watch a show about all their lives but that wouldn’t be a commercial hit.

I’ve said all I need to say. To discuss further with you would be pointless.

robdob
    Free Member

Hora, I agree with a few things you say normally but you really need to shut up if you’ve never watched it. I’ve seen an episode and while its not something I watch normally, I found it genuinely heartwarming.

I think a lot of the programmes like this one have changed quite a lot recently. I do watch the obese ones occasionally. There was one on last week which was called “shut ins” or similar and the story of the 2 people on that was very good. Didn’t really say what they ate and how much, or even emphasised the weight they are too much. Instead they looked at their emotional state, the relationships with their partners, how it was affected their lives, how the partners were coping and helping them etc. Really interesting.

If I hadn’t been married and have a wife who I wanted to change for I would have been one of these obese people, maybe I can see it from a personal perspective which helps.

hora
    Free Member

I watched it- the Thundercats girl. I didn’t want to watch it again. Accept that some people will be fans and some people will watch it for the pity angle.

molgrips
    Free Member

It seemed pretty clear to me that it was a programme where people with disabilities, learning difficulties or deformities went on dates?

I thought it was aimed at increasing understanding of disability, and showing how the disabled are real people. Which, as I understand it, has long been an issue. Presumably this is why the people involved have taken part.

light entertainment about one aspect of someone with learning difficulties that’d be very watchable and able to poke fun at?

I don’t think that’s what the show is about.

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve said all I need to say. To discuss further with you would be pointless.

And yet.
    And you’re wrong hora. See what I said on the first page (and molly above). I’d rather poke my eyes out with your magnificent tool than watch a “pity show”.

bearnecessities

Spin-off featuring certain STW members, The Undebatables.

deluded
    Free Member

I don’t think the show is exploitative. It sets out to dismantle the idea that some sections of the community are ‘undateable’ and confront stereotypes.

The participants don’t always meet the right person and the search goes on. Humour is inevitable, but it’s not sneering or voyeuristic. It was never going to be possible to tackle the subject without some taking a prurient or jaundiced view on the matter. The production also high-lights the importance of chaperones and minders and the effectiveness (and apparent scarcity) of organisations that can bring people into contact with one another.

The shows core message is we all have the right to love and be loved, irrespective of disability (as schmaltzy as that might sound) and I think it delivers that message in a touching and informative way.

EDIT – and I think the OP’s (perhaps unintentioned) ‘odd types’ description was an unfortunate turn of phrase.

natrix
    Free Member

‘people having a dump’ reality tv – we all do it

Apart from the Queen, the Queen Mum (Gawd bless her) and Princess Di.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘How many 'undateables' are on here?’ is closed to new replies.