Viewing 36 posts - 81 through 116 (of 116 total)
  • How many speeding offenses have you had?
  • hairyscary

You mean I can ignore temporary roadworks speed limits if they have a sign saying that? (given that most of the time I drive through is at weekends when nobody is working)

Alright, you got me. I’m not really sure why the notice was rescinded, but this is the most likely reason I can think of.

I was caught as I came over the brow of a hill and remember thinking “ffs, what road workers”, as the roadworks were complete and all that was left of them were a few cones at the side of the road. I got my notice of intended prosecution in due course, signed it and sent it back. Two months later I received a letter saying the notice had been rescinded.

All I can think is that people complained about the validity of the speed trap.

aidanoggy
    Free Member

3 in last 20 years, have driven 40,000 a year for a lot of that. No excuse though still speeding when I shouldn’t be!

shotsaway
    Free Member

1 in 23 years. There is a dual carriageway near me that had the limit reduced from 50 to 30. I was caught doing 47 only 2 weeks after it had been reduced. In fact I wasn’t even aware it had been reduced, as it had been 50 for as long as I can remember. Strangely within 2 years the limit on the road was increased back to 50!

I also had a lucky escape only 6 weeks after I passed my test. I was caught doing 100 on the motorway at 2 in the morning. The very nice policeman let me off, telling me that if I drove at 70 for the rest of my journey, that I would get home alive. If I continued at 100 I might not! He then followed me down the motorway for the next 7 miles (the next junction) and I made sure I didn’t go over 70.

boblo
    Free Member

Offenses? Are you American?

grim168
    Free Member

17 points in the late eighties on a 350lc. Got a 12 month ban under totting up. Mostly speeding, failing to stop etc. Nowt since but its like punctures. we really shouldn’t be talking about such things…

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

we really shouldn’t be talking about such things…

Ermm 40 in 30 outside a school and on the last day of work for my old company.

97 in a 70 on my old KR1S (they were being nice), “we’ve been doing over a 140 since Gatwick trying to catch you” I’d rolled off as it was starting to get a bit hot.

65 in a 30 whilst overtaking, trip to magistrates and 6 points and £200 (a good few years ago now)

Been fairly good since then.

Euro
    Free Member

None for the car. Several for the bike.

trip to magistrates and 6 points and £200 (a good few years ago now)

I had one of those days out at the magistrates. Judge wanted an automatic ban for my crimes. I got away lightly considering my speed /circumstances. Flip side was I had to pay a hefty fine in order to keep the license (for work) as i already had 6 points. I became a more selective speeder after that 😉

Sandwich

😯 Merchant Banker. Nowadays you would have been in for a short stretch for that list. Was it “Brucie Bonus” night?

ronjeremy
    Free Member

2 in 18, 1 SPF 30 for 36 3points and £60, then SPF 70 for 86 on the M4 8 at night in the summer practically empty motorway!!! Pointless speed awareness course for that, still trying to work out how being told not to speed outside of schools bares relevance to me in a motorway…..

Luckily no one saw me doing 150+ in my old rover 220 in the early hours many many moons ago, but then I woke up yhe next day to a blown head gasket so that taught me a lesson there

Garry_Lager

Just one – fiendishly placed mobile camera on one of the bridges on the M74 heading south. V slight bend and silhouette of the van was hidden against some trees.

Got pulled over for dangerous driving in Scotland (overtaking an arlarse doing 30mph on a bit of a bend, police car behind me) but the polis man said he couldn’t charge me as he was on his own (?) Scottish regs needed a corroborating officer, apparently – which seems weird. Unless he was just being nice.

timc
    Free Member

0/11 for me

mate was clocked on M58 doing 140 & let off (biker) girlfriend got 3 points for doing 37 in a 30 just before the 40 change (dual carriage way),

Cougar

In maybe 23 years and a lot of miles; Shitloads, who knows. Most if not all were “30-something in a 30” tickets rather than the “having trouble taking off are we, Wing Commander?” variety.

Clean licence these days, but I had a heavy right foot when I was younger.

jswan
    Free Member

2 in 12 years for me. Both times captured by handheld device.

dannyh
    Free Member

Two or three in 17 years.

The last one was (no kidding) on the way to my daughter’s birth, so probably could have got away with it.

However, as it was a planned caesarian, I didn’t feel I could do it 🙂

Ouch, I’ve just been blinded by the reflection of my halo in the computer screen.

Kiril
    Free Member

Not saying about points (tempting fate) but once was stopped for excessive cornering…. (on a KH400 which for those who know the bike should have got me an award!)

martinhutch

Excessive cornering? Surely the alternative is excessive hedging?

Kiril
    Free Member

Yeah I also got stopped for going around a roundabout too many times….

Spaceman
    Free Member

After 28 years of driving I have to admit i’ve lost count I’ve had so many 😳 Roughly about 15

Although in my defence I have been averaging 35k a year for the last 12 years, had about 6 tickets in that time (one every 70K doesn’t sound so bad).
    My last one was a belter, I overtook a Volvo between Galashiels and Walkerburn (on way to Glentress), proceeded to try to shake it off as it had the temerity to keep up with me. Turns out it was an unmarked police car!
    Did me for 82mph on the run up into Walkerbun, said he’d clocked me in the high 70s a few times on the way, as I wasn’t driving dangerously I got off with 3points and 60quid fine.
    Got pulled up once for ‘excessive cornering’ on the Bush roundabout near Penicuik, (not exceeding speed limit) just got a ticking off from the nice policeman.

deadslow

1 in 27 years. Approx 10-12k per year so in excess of 250k! 97 on m40 in a work rover 216i. Surprisingly fun car, revvy engine and made of tin foil.
    Stopped once in Kent (again in a company car) averaged 96 over 4 miles! for some reason I got let off. Was very contrite and didnt argue so maybe that’s it.
    Must be careful now!!

brakes
    Free Member

1 in 17 years, 60something in a 50, from a stupidly placed camera on a corner just before the national speed limit sign, at the end of some very short roadworks which were basically some coned off lanes with no work going on. bah.

cheese@4p

Im on 9 points at the moment. Obviously respecting the limits at all times now. It’s amazing how many people don’t like sitting in the queue behind me and go blazing past at double the limit into the endless empty road ahead.

martinxyz
    Free Member

deadslow – Member
    1 in 27 years. Approx 10-12k per year so in excess of 250k! 97 on m40 in a work rover 216i. Surprisingly fun car, revvy engine and made of tin foil.
    Stopped once in Kent (again in a company car) averaged 96 over 4 miles! for some reason I got let off. Was very contrite and didnt argue so maybe that’s it.

Or possibly you left your stw name badge on and it cracked the cop up? :O)

mountainman

Used to do night taxi driving bristol- bath area,top end of bristol,brislington, bath road we knew that after 3am in morning camera had run out of film (old stlye camera early 90s)
    so used to fly thru that one ,never heard a dickie bird.

Camera van back in 2008 ,my own fault n 35 in 30 just inside limit.

Also got a telling off in old Landy for doing 50 in 40 ,quite surprised it did it ,was downhill n wind behind mind.
    all in 30 years of driving.

toby1

Total points – 15 I think, ending in a 6 month ban, I deserved it. Taught me some lessons and luckily I never hurt anyone except myself. I passed at 18 though and was a typical teenager, I have been a considerably calmer driver since the ban though, that ended in 99 I think and I have ‘touch-wood’ kept a clean license since then.

gonefishin
    Free Member

but the polis man said he couldn’t charge me as he was on his own (?) Scottish regs needed a corroborating officer, apparently – which seems weird. Unless he was just being nice.

Nope he wasn’t just being nice it really is scots law that one. It’s also the reason I was never done on my motorbike. That and the fact that my restricted 125 wasn’t capable of the 70mph he claimed I was doing. I’ll admit that I was speeding though.

Spaceman
    Free Member

but the polis man said he couldn’t charge me as he was on his own (?) Scottish regs needed a corroborating officer, apparently – which seems weird. Unless he was just being nice.
    Nope he wasn’t just being nice it really is scots law that one. It’s also the reason I was never done on my motorbike. That and the fact that my restricted 125 wasn’t capable of the 70mph he claimed I was doing. I’ll admit that I was speeding though.

A Scottish policeman can do you if he has any kind of corroboration, witness statement, video evidence etc. Doesn’t have to be another policeman, just needs a 2nd source of evidence.

klumpy
    Free Member

A lout in a giant octavia nearly knocked me off, then followed me about 2′ off my rear wheel for miles and miles. After slowing and giving him every opportunity to get past on a series of dual carriageways (I never “race” people) I was eventually intimidated into fleeing. Said lout then hit the blues n’ twos and did me for speeding.

Allegedly got done by a scamera van in some village, speed safe chap was asking where everyone got caught. I said I didn’t know, as I didn’t see the camera as it got me from the back (a motorbike only has a rear plate) and apparently that’s not actually allowed!

bristolbiker
    Free Member

1 in 19 years…. but not in this country! 20kph over the limit in a camper van in NZ. Middle of nowhere on the south island, ~5am. Slowing down at the end of a long straight, cop car comes round the corner the other way, banged to rights there and then. No complaints – nicest telling off I’ve ever had, he even recommened a top place to stop of brekky.

richmtb

3 points in 10 years

A lout in a giant octavia nearly knocked me off, then followed me about 2′ off my rear wheel for miles and miles. After slowing and giving him every opportunity to get past on a series of dual carriageways (I never “race” people) I was eventually intimidated into fleeing. Said lout then hit the blues n’ twos and did me for speeding.

Happened to my brother, also a big black Skoda. He was in his Evo VIII and the big Skoda sat right up his arse for a mile or two, He got bored of it sitting there and decided to put some distance between them using his right foot and got done!

I’ve also heard stories in Glasgow at least of the polis running around in a Subaru Impreza and revving at the boy racers at the traffic lights, not sure if that one is a bit of an urban myth though!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

1 in 39 yrs, just last year. 36 in a 30, 06.40 on a Sunday morning by a camera thats in the most ridiculous spot ever.
    That I’ve passed every time I’ve gone to work for the past 3 years.

Cougar

Said lout then hit the blues n’ twos and did me for speeding.

Is entrapment legal?

bikebouy
    Free Member

1 x 3pointer in 20+ years for towing in the fast lane whilst dragging baots back to Sotty from P’mth ferry on the M27.. Stationary traffic queue, I overtook a caravan whilst a break in the traffic, must have traveeled all of about 200mtrs and a bike cop pulled me over, right over to the hard shoulder causing all sorts of chaos behind and slowing the whole motorway to a halt. He didn’t seem to appreciate my comments about pettyness. He also claimed the load unsafe but couldn’t fault the 6 straps and exceptional rope skilz I have to tie down boats so he gave up that one. I’d call him a pleb nowadayz but it looks like I’d have to resign. Was 9years ago..
    Have towed in the fast lane since if overtaking slow traffic, I see no reason not too.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Have towed in the fast lane since if overtaking slow traffic, I see no reason not too.

According to the towing section of the highway code it’s illegal.

On the motorway

Remember, on the motorway you must not:

•drive over 60 mph
    •use the right-hand (fast) lane on motorways of three or more lanes

Yes I know that the highway code is not itself the law, but the use of the phrase “must not” shows that it is refering to an actual legal requirement that is spelt out elsewhere.

D0NK

Is entrapment legal?

whilst seeming highly dubious and some (allegedly) appalling behaviour from people who know better) I think calling it entrapment might be OTT. I’ve had a lady nearly kill me because the van behind her was too close so she “couldn’t” slow down. For absolute arses or possible entrapmenters you could always pull over or slow right down until they get bored and overtake? no?

MrsMugsy
    Free Member

You mean in the last few months ?

I think about 6 this year. My best year yet, last year was only a couple 😉

15 years driving in the uk : not a fine.

4 years in France and I keep collecting them. husband’s getting bored.

I keep getting caught at 115 in a 110 zone or 135 in a 130. I’m good in towns though.

on the plus side it’s a company car so I only get to pay 45 euros each time. It’s getting expensive though and it really is money down the drain.

birky
    Free Member

Twice in almost 30 years of riding/driving. 92 in a 70 and 86 in a 60.

Viewing 36 posts - 81 through 116 (of 116 total)

The topic ‘How many speeding offenses have you had?’ is closed to new replies.