Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • How many seats
  • ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

will he get in? Or will it be 0, standing only.

ryan

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ah I see the #WhatIfAviation in there!!

I assume they would poke a ladder out of the roof of the bus to get on with?

Aside from the fact that it doesn’t really work with his business model.

sarawak
    Free Member

???????

perchypanther
    Free Member

Of course there’ll be seats.

They’re available for an additional charge.

Conditions apply.  You’ll have to squeeze your arse into a frame at the check in desk to ensure it’s within regulation size.

Oversize arses are extra.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Indeed Mike, maybe a few 380’s going cheap soon as it seems only Emirates can really make the thing work.

Plenty of standing room in the luggage hold.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There are certainly 2 or 3 up for sale at the moment from Singapore I think, one was a very early order too

ElShalimo

Triple Decker?

tomhoward

maybe a few 380’s going cheap soon

CFH has to spend his bonus on something…

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Can see those tiny airports not very close close to the towns they proport to fly to having A380 facilities.

igm

Well Doncaster should have a capable runway at least.

ElShalimo

Calm down my dears. It’s just a mock-up from last summer!
    RyanAir’s entire business model is based around the economies of scale by only operating 737-800s

O’Leary probably couldn’t make it pay…..unless he introduced a new route to New York or California but then they’d have to sell some premium tickets to increase revenue. I’m sure aviation laws dictate that on long-haul you have to be given food and water (Flashy can probably confirm this). I’d imagine the thought of that would give him an ulcer!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    andyl
    Free Member

There is a german leae company that has taken to stripping them for parts as they couldnt find anyone to lease them. Not great for an aircraft that was not even 10 years old. Has been an utter flop, the market changed for Airbus since it was conceived.

Boeing got it spot on when they brought out the 747 while the Europeans had concorde. Then when the Europeans brought out the A380 Boeing were planning the 787….

As for standing on planes, if Ryan Air could get away Skyrider seats then I am sure they would.

ElShalimo

For very short duration flights like Manchester to Dublin, they sound ideal.

CountZero

For very short duration flights like Manchester to Dublin, they sound ideal.

My g/f called me outside earlier today because there was a large aircraft flying over that looked unusual, we often get A400 and C-17 Cargomasters around, but this one looked a bit different. I checked on Flightradar24 and it was a BA 747-400 flying from London Heathrow to Cardiff! That’s a very short hop for a bloody big aircraft, more suitable for an A320, I’d have thought. Maybe things are tight for BA, and they’re taking all the trade they can get.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

That BA 747 isn’t going there for maintenance…

It’s being scrapped. Several have made the short trip to Wales over the last few weeks. Never to fly again.

ElShalimo

If they’re like the one I went to Dallas on in May, then great.
    Imagine being in a much loved but battered old Mercedes taxi with 2Million miles on the clock….

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I flew on the Pan Am 747’s a lot in the mid to late 80’s as a kid. Truely frightning. Although the cabin crew looked like they had more mileage on them.

granny_ring

Although the cabin crew looked like they had more mileage on them.

🙂

phil5556

That BA 747 isn’t going there for maintenance…

It’s being scrapped. Several have made the short trip to Wales over the last few weeks. Never to fly again.

Are you sure? Thought BA were keeping them for a few more years.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

British Airways Reveals 747 Retirement Plans

Phased scrapping, they will be doing them as they go and get something to replace them on the routes.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

@phil556 Yep I’m sure. BA have a fleet but they are gradually retiring.

There has been some live YouTube feeds the last few weeks of a few old BA 747’s taking off from Heathrow for the last time heading to Cardiff. Really short takes off too due to being empty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8reIOJ608Y

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There is a fleet of 747’s going mouldy at Jakarta airport, they are not leaving there in the air so at some point they will be getting scrapped or cannibalised.

phil5556

Yep I’m sure. BA have a fleet but they are gradually retiring.

A quick Google does say reducing from 36 to 27, so 9 retiring.

Also apparently 16 getting refitted at Cardiff.

So it could have been either.

The one “due to be scrapped in January” is currently on its way back from Cape Town.

dovebiker

In Japan they use 747-400s and the like for short-haul flights into Tokyo – just 500+ seats, no business class or anything. I had a business class ticket so they gave me and my mate the single pair of seats at the pointy-end.

The RAF’s A340 Voyager ‘trooper’ is pretty stacked too – flying back from Aktrotiri when it’s full of soldiers on their way from Afghan, and it gets a bit ‘stale’ and you wished you could open a window to let some air in.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

In Japan they use 747-400s and the like for short-haul flights into Tokyo –

*avgeek*
    Not any more. All the 747D variants have been retired.
    *avgeek*

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘How many seats’ is closed to new replies.