Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • How many questions about bottle cages can there be?
  • sirromj

I have another question: can you recommend a cage with a lower profile mounting bracket?

I purchased a Wolftooth Brad 3 slot mount to reposition the bottle cage closer to BB in the frame. It does the job but introduces height. The bottle cage itself also seems to unnecessarily introduce height.

Can you recommend a bottle cage with a lower profile bracket please difficult to tell from most pictures. Also cheap!

sirromj

Hopefully it’s clear what I’m on about, but here’s some pictures to be sure:

bottlecage1

bottlecage2

As can be seen, the bottle cage really doesn’t need to be raised away from the frame as much as that, I’m looking for a bottle cage that fits closer to the frame. Cheers.

Call me fussy if you like!

thepodge
    Free Member

Surely that’s space for the bolt heads.

sirromj

Yeah but there’s more than enough clearance for M8 socket head bolts (head height of 8mm) on this cage (clearance from mount point to bottle ~9.5mm). M5 low height socket head bolts are only 3.5mm, that’s potentially a whopping 6mm x nmm of unnecessarily wasted space!

oceanskipper

Pretty sure my Specialized cage is lower than that – I’ll have to have a look…

EDIT: it’s one of these https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/rib-cage-ii/p/171590?color=300542-171590&searchText=43021-1001

cookeaa

Squash it in a vice?

timmys

The answer to 90% of bottle cage questions is Fidlock.

dc1988

I have some Bontrager style carbon ones off eBay which seem pretty low stack, they use a button head allen bolt. They’re also light, sturdy and hold the bottle securely.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

The answer to 90% of bottle cage questions is Fidlock.

The answer to 100% is Specialized Zee.. 😉

Which, coincidentally, has a very low stack height 👍

escrs
    Free Member

The answer to 100% is Specialized Zee.. 😉

Yep, also availible in left hand and right removal configurations, being a side loading cage makes it much easier when you have limted space in a frame

https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/zee-cage-ii–right/p/172378

matt_outandabout

Bontrager style carbon ones

We have Bontrager ones, they are pretty low profile.

We’ve also got some bottles that won’t fit in a small frame (Camelback Podium) as they are really wide right into the cap. The Tacx Shianti’s taper though and fit.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Is the wolf tooth thing threaded? Slide it through the cage and fix upwards to it then to the frame?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.