Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • How many Police people did you see this morning?
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Well, it’s day 1 of that big roads policing push in that there London. On my ride from station to office, which takes in a fair few major junctions, I saw precisely NO police people whatsoever.

What a letdown!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Most of them are in Richmond Park hiding behind the trees with a radar gun (sitting in their 4×4’s naturally).

Having seen a few of them up close, I think cycling may benefit their health – and the ability to catch a crim on foot.

globalti
    Free Member

NONE and I never do see any. Drive past the motorway Police station at the Preston exit on the M6 and you’ll see a big compound that is permanently full of Police cars standing idle.

There’s never been a better time to speed, break traffic rules or drink drive, which is why drink-driving is on the increase.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’ll ask the missus, she’s just left for work. There was a bunch at the Old Street roundabout last time they had a crack down.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Loads – groups at junction of Islington Green; groups at Angel; groups further down Rosebery Avenue. And then seriously loads, police tape, cars and officers cordoning off the whole of Farringdon Road / Clerkenwell Road junction by Turnmills where a bus had hit a pedestrian. 🙁

Stoner
    Free Member

will be barelling through hyde park/park lane/grosvenor square from paddington in an hour’s time will see if there are any still out there.

shermer75
    Free Member

Good to hear they’re out there! None at Old St, apparently….

damitamit
    Free Member

There were some at the junction in Highgate when I was waiting at the traffic lights on my bike. Thou they didn’t even bat an eyelid when some knob came past and jumped the red light, crossing the whole junction.

Drac

1 Police car but I don’t live in London.

Drive past the motorway Police station at the Preston exit on the M6 and you’ll see a big compound that is permanently full of Police cars standing idle.

Is it possible that’s where the fleet base is and that’s why there is so many but because you see a Police car you think it should be manned?

Drive past the Pallion station in Sunderland you’ll see a compound full of Ambulances standing idle, you won’t see the duty ones as they’re out what you see is the ones awaiting service repair or distribution.

Stoner
    Free Member

Saw loads on bayswater Road. Together with ambulance and air ambulance unfortunately. Looked like a nasty crash but I couldn’t tell if it involved a cyclist as I crossed on to serpentine. 🙁

hainey
    Free Member

2 guys at the junction of Lower Richmond Road and the road up to Kew. Was quite surprised to see them there to be honest.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Looks like something very bad has happened at the Cleckenwell / Farringdon junction involving a bus and either a cyclist or pedestrian. All closed and forensic investigations 🙁

theflatboy
    Free Member

pdf – it was definitely pretty bad, I saw the front of the bus and the window was destroyed: caved in and completely smashed. I can just see the junction from my office, it’s still closed off now and I went past a couple of hours ago

edit – and note my post above, it was a pedestrian.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Police station at the Preston exit on the M6 and you’ll see a big compound that is permanently full of Police cars standing idle.

Its not actually full is it ?
    I saw two on that section today if that helps

I saw three today in total

There’s never been a better time to speed, break traffic rules or drink drive, which is why drink-driving is on the increase.

The DfT pointed out that despite the apparent sharp rise in 2012, the number was still about 25% lower than in 2009 (380 deaths) and almost 40% lower than the 2005 to 2009 average.

2012 was still the third lowest rate since 1989 after 2010 and 2011.
    One year does not make a trend [ its iether a blip or the start of a trend and only time will tell but you need to seriously cherry pick for your statement to be true] and it is downward still

mossimus
    Free Member

>10 at Bow Flyover, further west along CS2 another 5 or 6 at Mile End/Burdett Rd junction.

nedrapier

There was a good bunch round the junction at Bank. Didn’t notice any others on the previous 5 or 6 miles in from the north.

Did notice a guy who nearly knocked me off (/made me run him down) this morning came past the wall on the left at a full sprint, http://goo.gl/maps/ANsgU my lights were green, I was about 6 feet away going 20-25mph in the middle of the left lane (it’s downhill in that direction). He just about hauled himself down so I passed a foot from him, but that’s the closest call I’ve had in 3 years commuting in London. Quite what he was thinking, I have no idea.

packer
    Free Member

Saw loads at the junctions around Oval tube station and more at Vauxhall bridge.
    Seemed to be stopping lots of cyclists for petty non-dangerous offences, but didn’t see them stopping any HGVs….

TiRed

One year does not make a trend

No but seven deaths will ruin a political reputation.

penac

Lots at the junction of union street and Blackfriars, not surprising as tfl’s traffic control centre is there. Not a junction I would consider problematic.

project
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25080427

Sad that its taken so many needless deaths and serious injuries before the head of police actually decides to make sure his work force actually enforce traffic regulations, instead of just driving round in expensive leased cars.

The income from the fines issued should also help to pay for their wages as well.

jamj1974

Saw loads in North Brum and Solihull this morning. 3 cars and two motorcycles.

robarnold
    Free Member

Give us more officers to drive those ‘idle’ vehicles and we’ll be out there doing what we’re paid to do. Unfortunately uniform officer numbers are low and falling. If the small numbers of us left weren’t out dealing with response calls we’d love to be out giving some public support with directed patrols. This isn’t set to change soon unfortunately

project
    Free Member

any londoners, any more experiences of todays exercise.

Rob Arnold, just an idea, why not park those idle expensive vehicles at known blackspots for collisions, and put a video camera in them and film the vehicles cyclists doing wrong, posibly a good deterent, and a pat on the back from your boss.

Drac

How are you going to fund that then project?

project
    Free Member

You drive a car to a collision spot, and leave it there un maned, so no cost for staffing.It would jusst be sitting in the police compound otherwise.

Then you privatise the viewing and prosecution of the evidence from the car cams, just like parking enforcement in towns and cities,using cctv.

The money raised goes to the private company, creating jobs and reducing the ksi, on the roads.

Its not rocket science.It nmay be more dificult tracking down errant cyclists though, as opposed to motorists with number plates to id them or their vehicle.

C4 tonight 21.00 bristol cctv parking wardens programe.

Drac

Then you privatise the viewing and prosecution of the evidence from the car cams, just like parking enforcement in towns and cities,using cctv

They have that already.

C4 tonight 21.00 bristol cctv parking wardens programe.

See.

project
    Free Member

Glad you understand now.

Drac

Just need you to understand that the cars standing idle can’t be just left at the side of the road, they are left idle for various reasons.

Durham have spots where on the Police parking points they have marked up barrios that look like the markings on traffic cars. No idea if it works or not but looks convincing from a distance.

GrunkaLunka
    Free Member

A couple up at Camden Stn on the way back tonight. They’d pulled a clown who was completely lightless at 7:00pm, and have the rest of us a very loud “GO!!!” When the lights changed.

However, no sight of them earlier this morning when some fool in a pimped Beemer tried to overtake me in order to squeeze into the tiny gap behind the bus ahead, only to panic when he realised this would mean he’d be in a bus lane. To be fair I’m sure he’d have realised how stupid a move it was if he hadn’t been so busy shouting at me to ride in the gutter…..

theflatboy
    Free Member

One at each ASL at Angel again this morning. Seemed to be doing the trick as nobody was stopped in them, obviously. I doubt it will make much difference though – even this week only the people at the front on each light sequence will even notice, and there won’t be any lasting impact…

kimbers

there were a few round shepherds bush this morning, but none on the big roundabout, which is always dangerous

and a few hundred metres on going up notting hill saw an Occado van clip a cyclist with his wing mirror then shout at the cyclist for riding 2 abreast, same guy then nearly got taken out by a bin lorry running a red at the top of the hill!
    And I had a cement mixer, having plainly seen me, pull out forcing me to stop

Did see a police cyclist pull over a guy on the school run too, driver was none too happy

franksinatra

Cracking article on Daily Wail website yesterday about a guy pulled by the police for cycling his kids to school on a cargo bike. The copper asked him ‘is that thing legal’ to which the cyclist replied ‘you tell me, you are the police’

The article was typical Wail, it literally described the bike as a ‘rickety wheelbarrow attached to a bike’

The reality was one of these

Such a shame that they don’t realise doing school runs on bikes like this is part of the solution, not the problem!

martinhutch

Yeh, saw that one. Decent little child carrier, and certainly not something the police should be bothering with.

Still not sure I’d want to pilot it up the Euston Road in rush hour with my kids in the front…

warton
    Free Member

Such a shame that they don’t realise doing school runs on bikes like this is part of the solution, not the problem!

absolutely, and that the problem, we are a nation of cars. to late to change, no matter what money is invested into cycling and public transport.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

…the authorities seem a little happier to respond to complaints about their vehicles at the moment.

I have had more scares in a couple of days than I have had in a year (more aware of danger or something in the air as others have said on other threads, who knows). I have had a bus and a dustbin lorry complete their overtakes on me whilst their back wheel has been level with, both times forcing me to take evasive action otherwise risk being hit by the back end. The bus driver said I should be ‘cycling slower and take notice of the the warning stickers on the back of the bus telling me to stay away’ – useful when he is overtaking me!

Complaints made yesterday (to TFL and Council), and responses with further details wanted back already, whether it is just lip service I don’t. Report incidents though whilst they appear to be taking an interest.

GrahamS

even this week only the people at the front on each light sequence will even notice, and there won’t be any lasting impact…

They’ve done similar crackdowns in the past, including a couple in Edinburgh (one of which is still in progress), and one thing that always emerges is that most drivers stopped for using the ASL have absolutely no idea what the rules are or that entering it may be an offence.

Perhaps educating the front person at each light sequence wil help. The Edinburgh campaign has certainly got some publicity at least:

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/crime/blitz-on-cyclists-and-drivers-jumping-red-lights-1-3183441

http://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/drivers-face-100-fines-for-invading-cyclist-space-1-3196431

lostneverfound
    Free Member

Just come back from Belgium after watching the Ghent 6, bikes everywhere as you’d expect on roads, bike lanes and what we would only see as pedestrian areas around shops. Bikes are just a natural way of getting around a city. Didn’t see any hassle between cars, bikes or pedestrians, and imagine this here…their government is looking to pass a law to allow cyclists to go through a red light when turning right.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

saw loads yesterday (Monday) morning and evening and again this morning.

On CS7 heading North, they started appearing at Tooting and there were from one to half a dozen officers/PCSOs at every major intersection up to the Elephant which is where I turn off CS7.

I saw them pull over and ticket a couple of mopeds who were in the ASL and a couple of tourist RLJ’ers on Boris bikes. But at Stockwell where the resurfacing work has been undertaken but they havent repainted the yellow grid they did nothing about the cars blocking the junction meaning cyclists were weaving in between the cars to cross.

They are going to be with us until Xmas

theflatboy
    Free Member

Angel update for today:

8 police officers, one on each side of the crossroads for each road direction.

3 x people pulled over and ticketed / talking tos when I rode through: 1 x cyclist who had run the red light (seriously, how hard is it to spot the police?!), 1 x car and 1 x tipper truck.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Angel update for today (as yesterday’s was so eagerly received!): same police presence. Two cars and one HGV being ticketed this morning. No bikes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘How many Police people did you see this morning?’ is closed to new replies.