Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)
  • How many picked onions in a chip shop jar?
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

Random question but does anyone know how many pickled onions are in the big jars you get in the chippy? I’ve googled it to no avail.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Gary_M
    Free Member

Really, that’s helpful. I knew someone would try to be a smart arse, well done for being the first.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thegreatape
    Free Member

Are you trying to win one?

Reluctant
    Free Member

Do we win a prize if we get it right?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😆

wombat

Is the Jar full?

Gary_M
    Free Member

No not trying to win one, just trying to work out the profit on a jar. A jar costs £5.25 and they sell for 25p each, must be a decent profit in that.

Is the Jar full?

How would I know, I don’t know how many were in it to start with.

woody2000

It’s a natural product which will vary in size, and it will be sold by weight not numbers.

wombat

Well on that basis, and assuming that the chip shop makes a profit on them, there must be at least 22

maccruiskeen

There are 21 onions in a jar. Pickled onion vending is more of a lifestyle than a business really.

wombat

If they’re sold by weight then big ones should be more expensive than small ones

Dobbo

😆 @ maccruiskeen

wombat

LOL @

Pickled onion vending is more of a lifestyle than a business really.

woody2000

Obviously, they’ll be graded so that the size is relatively constant, but still the actual numbers of onions will be different on a jar to jar basis.

I can’t believe I’m actually discussing this with an element of seriousness 😀

Gary_M
    Free Member

I don’t think they vary in size by much, not that I’ve studied them or anything. There must be an average number per jar.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

We studied this in my first year of Philsophy at Oxford.

The answer is…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I bet they’re not really five pounds twenty five pence a jar. I bet they’re not. Chippies will get their supplies from a catering wholesaler, not a supermarket. I bet those jars are only a couple of quid a pop, tops.

maccruiskeen

We studied this in my first year of Philsophy at Oxford.

The answer is…

…?

… as in 3

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Always the same.

wombat

I’ve got a chippy tea tonight so I’ll ask while I’m there…will see what the score is with picked eggs too 😉

Never mind pickled onions, how do they grow pineapples so all the rings are just the right size to fit in the tin ?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Already looked at that site woody2000, I can’t see ‘average number per jar’.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Post of the day week month year

Gary_M
    Free Member

bet they’re not really five pounds twenty five pence a jar. I bet they’re not. Chippies will get their supplies from a catering wholesaler, not a supermarket. I bet those jars are only a couple of quid a pop, tops.

That is the wholesale price we’re working to.

Never mind pickled onions, how do they grow pineapples so all the rings are just the right size to fit in the tin ?

genetic modifiaction?

Flash
    Free Member

Flash
    Free Member

Sorry, getting confused that’s pies

wombat

The tins are different sizes according to the girth of the fruit to go in them, “they” just make sure that all the tins in each case are very similar in size so nobody would normally notice 😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Something like this I imagine Graham…

Gary_M
    Free Member

I think you must be thinking of a pie supper flash.

woody2000

Assuming the 2.25Kg jar weight is nett, I reckon there’ll be approx 800g in fluid, leaving 1.45Kg in onions. I reckon the average pickled onion will weigh about 20g, so the jar will have ~70 onions in it and make £18 gross.

Anyone got a pickled onion they can weigh? 😀

Cougar

That’s not onions, it’s pies.

EDIT: damn, beaten to it. So instead I’ll give you a TRUFAX:

If you have a pizza of radius ‘z’ and thickness ‘a’, you can calculate its volume using the formula pi.z.z.a

RealMan
    Free Member

Flash
    Free Member

To find the rough weight of a pickled onion I suppose I could pop one of my testicles on a pair of scales

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I like your work Flash… I’m going to see if Laura in accounts wants to do a taste test.

Flash
    Free Member

Just got thrown out of Tesco, apparently they are “not the same as a Lychee”

Gary_M
    Free Member

Talking of testicles…

I read the other day that the best way to arouse a man is to lick his ears, don’t know about you but I think it’s bollocks.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

It is and it isn’t. Many unscrupulous operators in this field, finding themselves unable to afford the costs of maintaining the hedonism of the pickled onion integrated life style (POLIS), resort to chopping up single potatoes, frying them then selling in a bag at a totally ludicrous price in order to fund their POLIS addiction. Fortunately, the government have stepped in and an emergency service has been set up to apprehend these poor deluded individuals, and protect the rest of us from their nefarious activities

wombat

apparently they are “not the same as a Lychee”

What aren’t? Your testicles or Pickled Onions?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘How many picked onions in a chip shop jar?’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts