• This topic has 52 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by devs.
Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • How many people have been bitten by infected ticks?
  • mauronappolini
    Free Member

Thanks guys for increasing the awareness of Lymes as I have heard of it but did not think it was an issue. So i’m getting a bit freaked out about it all, is it something to worry about or is it just to be aware of it? I have quite a few weeks of bike packing planned for next summer using a bivvy and was wondering if there were any tips or tricks that anyone has with using a bivvy to avoid ticks? Also is there any no go places in England, Scotland and wales?

And for those who have gotten it or who know someone who has is it no big deal to treat with antibiotics as mentioned as long as it is caught early? The fact that it seems that GP’s dismiss the likelihood that it may be limes is a bit disturbing. Is this something of the past or is it something that is ongoing?

soma_rich
    Free Member

I had Lymes from a New Forest tick. Horrible experience pain in my joints for three weeks couldn’t sleep had no energy, not recommended!

cheburashka
    Free Member

I don’t even count the amount of tick bites I get every year, even had a couple on my Nuts mm that was unpleasantly itchy. Thankfully none have been infected.

You are Stephen Gough and I claim my five pounds.

paul4stones

I’m sorry for bringing nothing but confusion to this thread in talking about prophylaxis following a bite rather than treatment for the disease which is what was originally being discussed.

+1 for raising awareness though.

eshershore
    Free Member

I work for a well known chain store (not Evans)

in one of our London stores, their senior mechanic is in hospital because he went to view the Olympics in Surrey and got a nasty tick bite, he contracted Lyme’s disease from this bite

he is currently in hospital, seriously ill, had a cardiac arrest last week, but is making good progress to recovery, best wishes and healing vibes!!

jools182
    Free Member

I’ve got Lyme disease and no recollection of being bitten

bigyinn
    Free Member

user-removed ARRRGGGHHHHHHHH.

johnhe

Both my daughter and my mother in law have had Lymes disease. Both caught the disease from tick bites in the Black Forest, close to where my wife’s folks live. It was one of the worst imaginable experiences for my daughter. She missed about half of her first year at secondary school until it was finally, correctly diagnosed as Lymes. Once correctly identified, it is very easily treated. I wouldn’t complain about a 2 week course of anti-biotics, since not dealing with Lymes properly is such a horrible experience. We thought my daughter had ME or was just faking it. We were kicking her out of the house each day for weeks to go to school because we thought she was overcooking her symptoms, and just had a cold or something. I can’t properly communicate the amount of heart breaking tearful breakdowns and months of wondering what on earth was wrong.

Apparently no one has ever (ever!) caught Lymes disease in Ireland, which is why the docs were not quick to think of that as the reason my daughter was poorly.

jools182
    Free Member

I am struggling at the moment with doctors/treatments etc

My GP could not be less interested

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Once correctly identified, it is very easily treated. I wouldn’t complain about a 2 week course of anti-biotics, since not dealing with Lymes properly is such a horrible experience

I think from what I’ve heard about lymes lately and in the past I’d happily do 2 months on antibiotics rather than end up with it. I even took a picture of the bite on my phone when I noticed it as I thought it might make things difficult if it disappeared before I got to see my doctor.

cinnamon_girl

I am struggling at the moment with doctors/treatments etc

My GP could not be less interested

See another GP then, after all we are paying for a service!

bigjim

We thought my daughter had ME or was just faking it

I do wonder if part of the problem with doctors is because the symptoms cover such a wide range of problems, and there seemingly isn’t a definite yes/no test for Lyme, it makes it a good ‘pretend’ disease for people looking to have something wrong with them. I don’t mean this in any context of your situation of course.

ARRRGGGHHHHHHHH.

My dad lived in Africa for a few years, he had a blocked nose for a long time with no other symptoms, went to the doctor and turns out an elephant tick had crawled up his nose and engorged so big it couldn’t get out, and had completely blocked his nose. Ewww…

devs
    Free Member

Ticks are for mincers. I’ve had 2 in my life and they both fell off before I could have the pleasure of removing them. My pal gets hundreds a year riding with me. He must taste of sheep or venison or something. Now then, dry adder bites, that’s where it’s at, that really hurts. dread to think what a venom injected one would feel like.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘How many people have been bitten by infected ticks?’ is closed to new replies.