Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 136 total)
  • How many of you have been hit by a car when you've been on your bike?
  • user-removed
    Free Member

Also loads of near misses and crash avoidance manouvres here…

Only once been hit – a lady in a wee car approaching a massive open roundabout. I was already on the R/A in the left lane, going straight ahead. Made very definite eye contact as she approached but she just accelerated (!). Perhaps she had seen me but didn't want to stop?

I could tell a few seconds before it happened that she was going to hit me so was able to throw myself onto her bonnet. She still pretended that I was from a different dimension and didn't actually exist. She got all the way over the R/A, still doing about 40 mph, before acknowledging the fact that a guy in a yellow jacket was lying on her bonnet and hollering in a panic stricken fashion – the bike in the meantime had been pinged a good 10 – 12 meters into the centre of the junction.

She then did the obvious thing and slammed on the brakes, causing my good self to slide off at velocity and tumble a good distance over the tarmac. Stood up and shakily began to walk towards the car – the woman began driving off and I had to stand in front of the car. When she eventually pulled over, the first words out of her mouth were, "Where's yer f£ckin lights then?". It was mid afternoon and bright sunlight. She then wanted to know if my insurance was up to date!

Bike was totalled along with my trousers and £200 Berghaus jacket (they were expensive in them days!) but the Polis reckoned that without witnesses, and despite the obvious story told by the damage to car, bike and person, that it was blow for blow. Cr@p.

crankboy
    Free Member

Three times:-
    1 Over taking a long slow que of traffic (me on the on right hand side ) a woman turns right out of que to try and take a side road. She did it quickly and without indicating, i swerved but she caught me and hacked the bike out from under me i took her bumper off, i had a massive hole in my elbow and another in my hip. she said that was my fault for overtaking on the wrong side of the road her insurers gave me £2500.
    2 Me in bus/cycle lane a private hire driver in side road to left,the PH driver looks me in the eye then pulls out in front of me i swerve he clips me i land on his bonnet he says my fault as he never moved (his car was 1/2 way across the bus lane with the stop line under his rear doors.)The white wan man behind him offered to help me as a witness.
    3 On the same road but at a different side road a people carrier pulls into bus/cycle lane then stops dead i apply massive brake and go sideways into his drivers door . when asked if he saw me before he pulled out he said "oh yes i saw you coming" when asked why then had he pulled out in front of me and then stopped dead he looked away and drove off .

mark_b
    Free Member

Anyone have a crash on the bike involving a vehicle where it was their fault not the drivers?

Ah yes, forgotten about that one. Many years ago riding back from Students Union down Princes Road in Toxteth, possibly after consuming a few post exam pints. Must have clipped a parked cars wing mirror as i looked behind before turning right.

Next thing i know i'm on the floor between two parked cars with a cut-up face. Racing bike top and down tube was crumpled enough to stop the front wheel turning.

What with it being Toxteth i didn't hang around to assess the damage to any cars i might have bumped 🙄

coffeeking
    Free Member

Ok, Coffeeking, maybe you're a jedi, from the Matrix or have some other "special" powers but my odd logic tells me that it's far more likely you are simply deluded in thinking YOU somehow have an ability to avoid unforseen freak accidents.

stupid/foolish/naive whatever, you have little to be smug about, that's for sure

You really are a complete berk, aren't you? At what point did I say it was entirely down to my own skills and I was some magical person with special powers? I just said I'd not hit anyone but had a few close calls. Talk about making assumptions and when I pointed out that I realised it sounded a bit smug, too. **** me, you don't half jump to conclusions.

neilnevill
    Free Member

3 times.
    1 – bumper ripped from car but bike wheel fubared (score draw)
    2 – car pulls out side turning on me as I'm going down hill, I hit wing and superman over the car to land in front of car coming the other way. Bike scratched, me lots of surface wounds, A&E via ambulance (car 1, bike 0)
    3 – wing mirror hit hand/handlebar…i staid up – no damamge (no score draw)

All 3 car drivers at fault.

user-removed
    Free Member

Oh and twice hit a car when it was my fault. One stationary – on me paper round with a mahoosive reel to reel Reevox tape recorder in my bag (some fool had binned it). Lost control of my dad's 10 speed Claude Butler (his pride and joy) when the bag swung off my shoulder. Went over the roof of a parked car after fishtailing wildly at high speed.

Second one – car was moving but stopped very abruptly. I hit the back of his car and put a nasty little ding in his boot lid. The guy got out and couldn't apologise enough – got away lightly there – deffo my fault…

DezB
    Free Member

Anyone have a crash on the bike involving a vehicle where it was their fault not the drivers?

Ah didn't see this.
    Ok, this was a long time ago, was on a group ride on my sparkly new Pace RC36s (I think). All keen to get going, crossing main road, glanced at my mates, thought they were crossing, moved, bang. Wheee, up in the air, crack, head on windscreen, splat, back on road, crack, chain tool into spine. Further injury saved by fully loaded Camelbak bladder.
    Bike and forks totalled. Me on spinal board for extremely uncomfortable trip to hospital..

tartanscarf

Once, at night, lit up like a Christmas tree. I saw the driver pulling out in front of me and went into a cool sideways skid rather than t-boning him. Once he heard the thud he slammed on the anchors then sh@t himself as I smashed his rear light with a well aimed size 11 cycling shoe and screamed at him*. No real damage other than ripped Ronnies.

*Not big and not clever, I hardly ever lose my temper and he was very apologetic afterwards.

franki
    Free Member

Knocked off twice.
    Nudged but stayed on once.
    Forced to crash, rather than go through rear window whilst been cut up on a left turn once.

mhailo
    Free Member

Once. Wasn't very serious, but still – car hit my elbow, then while cutting infront of me, hit my front wheel resulting with a over-the-bars moment. He was speeding aswell. Later that night saw him again driving like a nutter, probably drunk.

brooess
    Free Member

Never been knocked off but plenty of close shaves. 2 things to think about come to mind reading all this stuff.
    1. Often its an accident. So ride defensively, assertively, make no assumptions whatsoever about what a driver might do next, be very observant and assume the worst and get ready to act on it. As my mum was taught when she learnt to drive in the 50s. Assume everyone else on the road is an idiot and drive accordingly.
    2. Some people will attack you/go at you directly. Stay out of their way. Don't get angry or provoke them. Yes they may be in the wrong but they clearly have issues and as you're on a bike, you're vulnerable and unlikely to come off well in a fight with a chunk of metal driven by a psycho!
    I'd rather be alive and fully able than 'in the right' and in a wheelchair

luke
    Free Member

A car reveresed around a corner and knocked me off 7 or 8 years ago, he then drove off and parked his car up, totally unaware of what he had done, or so he said.
    I got up legged it down the road to where he had stopped only about 30m or so and had a chat with him.
    Since then i've hated riding on roads, and any ride that envolves going on a road, so cycling has been less appealing for me since then.

brakes
    Free Member

only been clipped by a car once, but not enough to knock me off
    but I've been knocked off by a scooter and a pedestrian
    and I've glanced 3 other pedestrians
    few near misses with vehicles, but nothing that would have resulted in serious injury
    I count myself lucky that I commute in one of the most conjested parts of the country where cars don't really get above 20mph – it means you can anticipate most idiotic manouevres (sp)
    friend of mine moved to London and after lots of coaxing him and telling him that he would be ok on a bike, first day out he gets taken out by a taxi and breaks his arm

Blower
    Free Member

Yep 2 years ago,was going downhill came round corner car coming other way and BANG ambulance back and a week n half in hospital,month off work.a nice scar on leg.. 😕

wavydave
    Free Member

got hit a couple of years back on the way to work. Ironically by a guy who said HE cycled to work about three times a week. Was so shook up that when a VERY pretty lady came up and asked me back to hers for a cup of tea, to calm my nerves, i said NO 😯

got back on the bike and cycled the remaining 5 miles to work. Rang the ex when i got in and told her. She went mental that i hadn't gone to hospital to get checked out. she then came to work and said if i didn't come out for her she would get my mum down to do the job. I was 34 FFS!!!!!

That was three days before i was due to have a vasectomy. As the accident didn't give any medical reason for me to avoid the snip i had to go ahead with it. Not the best week i ever had 🙁

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Knocked off properly once.

Must be about 26/27yrs ago now. Going around a multi-lane roundabout aiming to take the 3rd exit & indicating left as i cross the lanes. Car behind me gives me space & time to make the manoevre, the idiot in the Volvo coming from a left-turning slip road doesn't. I see/feel him coming up hard behind me 7 brace for impact. He hits my back wheel & tumbles me down the road amidst the squeal of car brakes.
    Sit up, check limbs etc & see bike all crushed up under the wheels of the Volvo. Walk over to car, tap on drivers window & he hits the electric window button (mid-80's remember). For some reason i lost it, grabbed him by the lapels & headbutted him through the open window! Just about to punch him when a copper arrives on foot… 😳
    Driver admits he didn't see me and drove into the back of me – new bike time rather than face prosecution.

PikeBN14
    Free Member

3 x for me.

Once on the way to college (many years ago) got overtaken by a woman who then turned left in to her drive, I ended up on her roof.

Second, riding through a small Town Centre a couple of days before Christmas, again, got overtaken by a woman (bit of a theme here … )who then jammed the brakes on as she spotted a parking space, as I went to go down the inside she chucked it in reverse and piled in to me, I'm surprised I didn't go through the back window of her Golf! 6 Stitches in eyebrow.

Third time was the most spectacular, taken out on a roundabout by a dick (male this time!) on the phone, A road, Dual carriageway, got chucked about 15 yards landed on my arse going backwards so head was slammed in to the road too. 11 stitches in my head and severely 8uggered ankle. But I did get an ambulance for me and one for my bike (it was toatalled anyway £1,300)

3's enough for me!!!!! They seem to be getting worse each time!

myheadsashed

3x
    Twice hit by lorries and one by a car, one of the lorry incidents result in a fractured skull I still have the scar across my forehead – now my hair line is moving 😯 It's becoming visible.

I have hit a cyclist in a car and seriously injured him – black ice and new driver and a railway bridge 😥

Edric64
    Free Member

Hit off by a postie opening the door .Court case pending

StefMcDef
    Free Member

I had a couple of scrapes as a London commuter. A guy in a Jag squeezed past me at a point where the road was partially blocked by a Transit trying to nose its way out of a side street, forcing me into the side of the Transit, on Upper Street at Camden Passage. Plenty of sympathy from the van driver. Not even a backwards glance from the Jag.

Had a woman disembarking from a taxi late at night open a door just as I was cycling past, which I sailed straight into, and over. She got a far bigger fright than I did.

The best one was on the big roundabout on the south side of Westminster Bridge. Not hit by a car, but the intention was there. Was threading my way through the gaps in two or three lanes of gridlocked rush hour traffic when a guy in a gleaming 4×4 with blacked out windows spots me doing it and spurts forward, closing up the gap in the traffic in front of me and forcing me into an abrupt halt behind a flat wheelbed truck. Never remonstrated, just muttered a few expletives while I sat waiting for the traffic to get moving again. However, in his eagerness to close the gap, he had moved too close to the truck. The tip of the "LONG VEHICLE" sign hanging off the back of the truck somehow managed a small overlap with front wheel arch of the 4×4. So when the traffic started moving again, the truck took off – and took a chunk of wing of the 4×4 with it! 😀 Laugh? Let's just say I was glad I was wearing black lycra shorts. Talk about putting the kar in karma…

mboy
    Free Member

Sorry, not read the rest of the thread for the interesting stories yet, but just thought I'd chime in with my one time.

Guy driving a Ford Galaxy people carrier wasn't looking where he was going, and turned across the road whilst I was riding the other way. Hit me side on, I went up the front of it, then hit the floor.

Amazingly no real damage to the bike (think the wheels needed truing slightly, but that was about it), and only a few bruises and slight loss of skin for me. Shook me up though to be fair. At least the guy who hit me was wholeheartedly apologetic about the whole thing, have heard plenty of people who have received the "cyclists shouldn't be on the road" treatment before!

JAM29er
    Free Member

Lots of near misses (should that be near hits?) here. Been tapped, brushed but not bruised. Hit by bus once too. I wasn't even moving…

souldrummer
    Free Member

Was knocked off years ago by a car at a roundabout as I was trying to turn left. They turned left as well and took me out. To start with I thought it was a genuine mistake until I saw the rear passengers laughing as I hit the deck.

Friend and I were knocked off by when a BMW pulled out onto a roundabout and sent us flying. I had seen the car as we approached the roundabout and then, just as we were on the roundabout, I sensed something on my left hand side only to look and see the bonnet about a foot from me. Just about had time to think 'this is going to hurt' before they ploughed into teh pair of us. I woudln't mind but we were lit up like Christmas trees and in hi-viz clothing. Must have cost their insurance company a fortune. Two new bikes at £2k each, months of physio and about £5k in compensation for the pair of us.

Also sufferd a dog strike when a St Bernard just wandered out into the road. Owner admitted responsibility at the time but later claimed that he was not liable becuase 'we were chain-ganging and not in control of our bikes'. Eventually agreed to pay half though.

Also had a kid open a door in front of me 'because they couldn't wait in the traffic jam and had to get to work'. At least his Mum paid for a new front wheel. Didn't enquire if his poket money was stopped to pay for it.

Had too many near misses to list.

coogan
    Free Member

Jeez. If all you cyclists stayed off the road think how many less accidents there'd be. Bloody menaces, the lot of you.

Parvis
    Free Member

Over the bonnet of a woman that pulled out of a side road once in Bath. Luckily I wasn't going that fast. Then the silly women decided to blame me for not braking hard enough. Normally I'm such a calm person……..

neilnevill
    Free Member

Oh and I forgot number 4.
    4. Stationary in road/queue of cars and dippy cow in posh audi edges forwardand starts nudging my back wheel, pushing me forward and nearly over (one foot clipped to bike you see). When I realise I turn and utter some explitives but ride off before I lose control completely….the headlights very nearly got an spd shoved through them.

I'm guessing the car was an auto and the dozy cow wasn't paying attention and lifted off the brakes a little.

hits 3 and 4 have been london, 1 and 2 (the more serious) were Bristol. London has had many, many more close shaves though in far less years.

niallmb
    Free Member

I was hit in edinburgh by a woman in a mondeo. I was riding along the cycle lane and she was turning on to the road and swung too wide, forced me into the kerb and ran over my front wheel with her back tire. She waved sorry and drove off and unfortunatly, I was too dazed/bleeding to get the plate and had a front wheel shaped like a pringle so couldn't follow her.

It was also really nice the way lots of people saw it and all continued driving rather than check I was ok.

allthepies
    Free Member

The bloke a couple of pages back riding on that dual carriageway must have a deathwish.

grantway
    Free Member

Four years back a women came straight out and used me as the give way line
    and if it was not for the witness that pulled me out the way, she continued to moving out and would have crushed my legs.
    After that she continued to add that she thought I had gone pass and it was ok to come out then I said it was your mum the passanger that told you, that you hit me.
    She was following her brother and he came back to appologise and then said Sorry but shes a nervous driver you know what I mean? What the F@ck!!

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Just the one, many years ago.Another woman pulling out of junction on the left for me.I swear I got eye contact but she must have been looking right through me.

Went through her window, made a real mess of the car and me.

forgotmename
    Free Member

A farmer ran me over in his 4×4, just after he put a gun in my face and said "get orf moi laarnd.
    I hurt him.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Me.

My fault. Riding on the wrong side of the road a la UK (tired/light fading/no road markings/I'm a muppet) down an Alpine pass. Absolutely hooning. Head-on with a car.

3 damaged vertebrae, massive gash on leg (where the broken frame went through 😯 ) and some insane road-rash. Made a full recovery, so count myself pretty **** lucky.

samuri
    Free Member

A thousand near misses for me. If you ride fast you'll get this a lot.

Lots of actual impacts too. I think my favourites (in retrospect) are:

1. A woman overtook me and then immediately turned left in front of me. I braked hard enough to endo, then slammed into the side of her car. The rear wheel axle/nut dragged right down the side of the car leaving a massive scratch. She just drove off leaving me wobbling about. I chased her into the industrial park she'd driven into and when she stopped, started shouting at her. She absolutely reeked of alcohol. Then loads of massive blokes from her work came out and stood around me so I squeezed between them and rode off.

2. Riding along quite happily at night. Guy in a volvo coming the other way turned right in front of me. I braked and swerved but hit him. I got flipped up in the air and when I came down I purposefully slammed my elbow into his bonnet leaving a massive dint. I also managed to scratch his bumper and wingt with my shoes and bike. My light fell off and goit crushed. He got out and started apologising so I told him to **** off. He got aggressive so I faced him backed him against his car, told him to **** off, nice and quiet like. So he did.

jedi

forgetme name= legend

aracer
    Free Member

2 notable ones for me. Firstly going down hill in a 30 limit, just breaking the speed limit myself, somebody decides that they're getting held up by me and overtakes. Only to notice the hitch hiker at the side of the road just as they've overtaken me and slam on the anchors to stop and pick them up. I had time to swerve around them if I wanted, but didn't fancy my chances with the blind brow, so did some full on braking, resulting eventually in an endo and hitting the back of the car with my back as I flipped over (was an old type Beetle, so a fairly smooth surface to hit).

Then on New Year's day on the millenium I got the classic take out on a roundabout by somebody pulling on not having seen me. She was a midwife on her way home having just finished a night shift and was very upset that she'd hit me and happy to admit fault (including to the policemen who turned up). Apparently had the sun in her eyes. All things considered I couldn't feel too much ill will towards her. Other drivers also stopped and were helpful as I rolled around in pain in the middle of the road – somebody asked if anybody had a mobile to call police/ambulance, at which point I reached in my back pocket! Refused the ambulance ride as I felt it would be wasting their resources, and in any case not sure what would happen to the bike – instead called gf out of her work (she was on millenium bug stuff), given she worked right next to the hospital the driver had just come from half a mile away! Despite the driver not being awkward, the insurance company still were, but I eventually got paid for anything with a scratch on it (much of which I carried on using) plus a nice bit for pain after threatening to take them to court.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Got hit by a Ford Cortina 26 years ago. Was on bike, local lunatic pushed me out into the road (long story). Went over top of car and woke up to find my right leg had rotated 90 degrees anti-clockwise.

Broken femur, spent 2 months in traction (entire summer school holiday!). Had my 11th birthday in hospital. Depressing experience but actually a key point in my life; I have lived every day to the max ever since.

amodicumofgnar

Worst was 22 years back when I was a student.

Bounced over the front of a car, dents in wing and bonet, my fault for going the wrong way up a one way street. Lots of blood and an evening in Kingston Hospital, apparently freaked the driver out by acosting passing mates and getting them to inspect the size of the pool of blood I'd left. Also lectured her about not looking both ways when turning onto the road, my logic being if I was a pedestrian she could have killed me. Got confined to the A&E cubical for chastising other people in the A&E, seem to remember there were an assortment of people who'd had comedy accidents and apparently its bad form to take the piss out of them.

From what my mates said I was generally out of it but supposed thats what a whacking great blow to the head does. Wasnt wearing a helemt, now have small round scar on side of head and boney keel on my skull which causes all bike helmets to sit slighly skewed to the right.

senorj

woman in a 4×4 passes me and then decided she was going to park on the left.
    I braked , endo-ed and smacked into the back of her.
    Bent my rear mech , few bumps and cuts.
    After i calmed down the woman was sobbing and howling.
    I had to console her! I told her she would have to replace the mech.
    Fair play to her, she took me and bike to the bank and gave me £100!
    I had asked for £50 for the mech.
    I then straightened the mech and continued the commute.
    I did buy a new mech with the cash though.
    J.

luked2
    Free Member

Hit by pizza delivery driver who was turning right from a side road. Bruised ribs (which really hurts).

"My people, they say, Romano, you are fast but safe."

(To be fair to the guy he gave me a pizza, plus the council had installed special bike-hiding railings nearby).

Luminous
    Free Member

Long thread, so I'm just making up the numbers here, but yeah, I was hit a few months ago.

Young mum with Kiddie in the back of their Corsa.

She goes by, just as we're approaching a roundabout, so she pulls into the curb to get into lane and my bars hit the side glass of the rear door.

brakes on and the left foot down hard, prevented me hitting the deck, few !.

She didn't even stop to look at what the noise was for, assuming she heard the bars of my bike clack against the glass of her car.

She just drove on.

Lazy driving and lack of respect for cyclists, from the driver I'm affraid.

I do a lot of driving too, unfortunately, and so have seen a lot of stupidness from all and any who even go near a road.

I'm pretty much convinced that you can't change the behaviour of, or educate these people.

I also believe most really do know what to do and what the dangers are, but that they just don't really care until its too late.

I reckon the only way they'll change is if they actually choose to…..

So, the madness will continue. I just hope that we all stay safe out there.
    😉

Luminous.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 136 total)

The topic ‘How many of you have been hit by a car when you've been on your bike?’ is closed to new replies.