Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • How many of you don't have mountain bikes?
  • 1-shed
    Free Member

Just finished a Van dessel WTF build and I’m starting to think do I need a MTB? I used to go out proper off road but now nearly all from my doorstep in sunny Salford. Which means the WTF deals with that fine and more. Sell the MTB and get a road bike as a better mix and be able to go out with roadie mates? Family commitments etc meant last year 4 x trail centre trips but plenty quickly rides from the door! What do you do?

aa
    Free Member

pretty much what you describe. 2 mtbs, but with a young family i’d be better off with a ‘monster cross type of thing. i can muster a decent 1hr off road jaunt from my doorstep but it would be doable on a crosser.

1-shed
    Free Member

Bought the van dessel on a whim, sold the crosser. Now got 2 very off road bikes

peteimpreza

Selling the crosser was a fantastic decision. 😀

Pictures ofthe new bike so we can advise you better.

ton

for the very 1st time since 1984 i do not own a mtb. also for the 1st time since 1984, i only have 1 bike…a surly lht.

Gorehound
    Free Member

Only got MTBs.

Tiger6791

What’s a mountain bike?

I thought this was an Coffee, Marketing and Land Rover forum?

1-shed
    Free Member

Not got to grips with photos, it’s very nice though in a wow that’s bright way.

Andy_Baz

Like this one?

geordiemick00
    Free Member

since my last bike was nicked I’ve got none, sold all my kit off and although i’m missing the mtb world my inner sanctum is more at peace. My insurance is offering to pay up but not cash, will only pay a bike shop, so watch this space!

1-shed
    Free Member

Like that Andy but with drops and gears.

Andy_Baz

More like this then?

Digger90
    Free Member

If you can’t get easy access to trails then a WTF would be a great half-way house kinda replacement for an MTB.

BUT – why not keep the MTB (or get a cheapie) for days out in car with mates when you can go?

Having a young family is NOT a reason not to MTB. I’vehad 3 children and I know it’s hard to find the time, especially if the wife is – how shall I put this – on the more needy side… (that doesn’t mean sexually – it means thinks you should spend ALL your time doing family/house/kids stuff and resents any time you spend doing anything that is not that).

However, my advice is not to get stressed out by it all… balancing family time/kids and for own personal leisure is not an impossible task. In fact, it’s vitally important both for you and the family.. as you need exercise, oxygen blah, blah.

I used to feel guilty about the time I spent riding instead of being with the kids (and I’m talking about going out on the road bike for 1hr … not a 4hr MTB ride!). Then someone very wise showed me how to reframe that issue: not only do we as humans need exercise but by going biking (or running/whatever) I was acting as a great example and role model for my kids.. they would grow up clearly inculcated with the value and importance of exercise throughout their lives.

….and indeed they have. At ages 9, 11 and 15 my eldest is a BMX nutcase, the middle one a talented and competitive gymnast and the youngest an up and coming freerunner/tumbler/circus act!

Short answer: keep both bikes and use ’em whenever you can.

1-shed
    Free Member

Like that but with matching bar tape. Great off road a wee bit heavy on?

Andy_Baz

Looks good to me. Nice curves. Like any compromise its not going to do either extreme perfectly but if it allows you to the bits of both that you really want/are able to do then its a good solution. The important thing is to enjoy what you do, not waste time or energy getting frustrated about what you don’t.

argoose
    Free Member

I live in the beacons, on road too dangerous round here

rockitman
    Free Member

2 mtbs at the moment, but not ridden much this year. Off to the BMx track this afternoon, I’ve ridden more there than anywhere else this year. Quick, easy, dry, lots of advantages.

rootes1

looks good that, is it sort of like a Salsa Fargo ?

flap_jack
    Free Member

really liking that, what is it ?

donsimon
    Free Member

Starting to wonder if it’s worth selling the mtbs. I did find a nice 200m of bridal way last week, so they might be worth keeping.
    #thiscountrysucksforaccesstothecountryside

rootes1

really liking that, what is it ?

Van Dessel WTF

Gorehound
    Free Member

Oh bugger the mrs wants one (because it’s green).

1-shed
    Free Member

Similar to the fago but can take belt drive too. I’d like to try belt drive and alfine but don’t have funds for that.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I’m tempted to get rid my mtb for lack of trails and time. Sticking to road rides.

I’ve moved to different cities so many times and just can’t get rid of her.

Need to move back to Bristol 🙂

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

Only one bike; a 29er Hybrid here, usually fitted with cross tyres and mudguards, but currently fitted with 2.4 Noby Nics.

1-shed
    Free Member

What have you got Nick

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘How many of you don't have mountain bikes?’ is closed to new replies.