Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 137 total)
  • How many of you carry a first aid kit on your rides?
  • ryreed
    Free Member

I ALWAYS carry a first aid kit and have used it in anger more than once. I spent 10 years working as an instructor in the outdoors so that teaches you to have a kit with you. My personal kit is much smaller though.

Despite what people say about carrying plasters and antiseptic wipes etc, I would much rather use the space to carry dressings and kit to deal with more serious injuries rather than those that could be dealt with after a ride/walk out. For example, I would rather have some large wound dressings, a triangular bandage and some crepe bandages and some scissors to cut clothing/bandages than a massive pile of elastoplasts and some antiseptic wipes. Saline pods are also good for stuff in eyes or for cleaning wounds etc. I also think it is essential to carry a survival bag or space blanket.

The last time I broke out the first aid kit was in December last year after a member of an unknown group came off a jump wearing no helmet less than a kilometer from the car park. He was unconscious, then semi conscious and covered in blood from a significant head injury. The piece of kit I was most grateful for was a space blanket. There was no phone signal and the nearest house with land line was a 15min bike away. Ambulance crew took 40 mins to arrive.

rupertpostlethwaite
    Free Member

Absobloodylutley! What sort of a question is this!? Mountain biking is such a dangerous sport I find it essential to have a first aid kit to hand! A lot of my riding now i’ve advanced consists around coed-y-brenin which isn’t a place for beginners! One of the most demanding technical descents I have ever done exists there called false teeth and if one was to be a victim of this descent the outcome would not be nice! 😕

Safety first and ALWAYS first!

njee20
    Free Member

No

cloudnine
    Free Member

Make sure you have also registered your phone with Emergency SMS 999
    which allows you to text the emergency services when there is no signal..

http://www.emergencysms.org.uk/

rusty90
    Free Member

Searches rupertpostlethwaite’s post for traces of irony and fails to find any.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Cloudnine – what mobile phone?

Schweiz
    Free Member

I carry a first aid kit so that I can keep on riding in case of minor injuries. It’s probably not going to save my life.

My “kit” contains:

Strong pain killers
    Anti-histimine tablets (insect bites and stings)
    Saline for eyes
    Strapping and wound pads
    Antiseptic spray (the stinging is reassuring)
    Tweezers
    Knife (to cut off arm in case it get’s stuck between rocks)

And in case it gets more serious:

First aid training
    Phone
    REGA membership (Swiss mountain rescue)

I’ve used all the things at some time (except the REGA – but friends have used that as well). I ride in some pretty remote places and can’t normally just roll down the hill to get picked up by my mum

njee20
    Free Member

+1

**searches some of Rupert’s other posts** still not sure.

rugbydick

cloudnine – Member
    Make sure you have also registered your phone with Emergency SMS 999
    which allows you to text the emergency services when there is no signal..

http://www.emergencysms.org.uk/
    I can’t see on the website where it says about being able to send a text when there’s no signal. Or is your point that you’re more likely to have sufficient signal to send a text than make a voice call?

cloudnine
    Free Member

if you dial 999 in a poor signal area all other mobile traffic is reduced to allow a 999 signal to any network transmitter.. i think its the same with emergencysms

Ive never dialled or txt 999 with no signal to test the theory tho

leffeboy

Saline pods are also good for stuff in eyes or for cleaning wounds etc

Adds to list. Not big but don’t always have clean water

rusty90
    Free Member

I’m surprised by the number of people mentioning ‘strong pain relief’. I thought this was an absolute no-no when dealing with injured people ?
    Or do we all go around like something out of Apocalypse Now with ampoules of morphine stuck in our helmets ?

rugbydick

@cloudnine, it’s a good backup to have in any case. Cheers for the tip.

freeagent
    Free Member

I too always thought strong pain relief was a no-no when dealing with injured people, and it is illegal to administer anything that isn’t OTC to anyone else.

AlasdairMc

Cloudnine – that’s not strictly true, it’s that 999 calls can be made on any network, irrespective of which one your SIM is on.

was
    Free Member

Space Blanket
    Fleece Top
    Mars Bar
    GPS enabled phone wrapped in cling film with app to show coordinates.

These things live in my Camelback.

TiRed

I always carry a small kit in my rucksack. With enough duct tape wound around a pencil to strap a broken collarbone 😉 . When I’m out with the kids, I think it’s only a matter of time before I’ll need it.

It’s like a pump – take it and you won’t need it. Leave it behind and…

EDIT: and yes trained to use it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

survival bag!?! just pack the kitchen sink too. Unless you’re heading off to the proper wilderness there’s a fair chance you’d be found by a walker/rider anyway

Really?

3 good reasons to use one,
    1) I can go for a walk and within 10 minutes of leaving Wokingham not see another person on the footpaths all day. Depite the fact it’s pretty much one continuous urban sprawl in either direction from london to birmingham!
    2) It’s bright orange and big, so even if you’re not using it for warmth/shelter, it’s a massive cry for help to anyone that can see it.
    3) Break a leg and however close you are to civilisation you’re probably going nowhere.

Add to that that most MTB’ers pack light, often with not much more than a spare jacket/jersey for the cafe stop then the potential for getting very cold, very quickly if it rains or gets dark is a potential best mitigated against!

rupertpostlethwaite
    Free Member

rusty90 – Member
    POSTED 33 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Can you please explain? 🙄

philconsequence
    Free Member

TJ, stronger than OTC? iz yu a nurse prescriber blud?! hook a bruva up

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

freeagent – Member

I too always thought strong pain relief was a no-no when dealing with injured people, and it is illegal to administer anything that isn’t OTC to anyone else.

If I have a broken leg up a mountain then I want something proper strong now. NO messing around. I was given a script by my GP for this purpose.

Phil- Oh yes – proper shizzle

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Can you please explain?

I think they were alluding to C-y-B, and most ‘trail centers’ being pretty tame in the grand scheme of thing and usualy thought of as the idal place to take someone who want’s to try mountainbiking as a complete novice as the trails are usualy designed to maximise your visibility of obstacles in advance, offer alrenative chicken runs and limit the penalties for failure by building tabletops rather than doubles, berms to catch people cornering too quickly, drop offs that can be rolled etc etc.

robertgray05
    Free Member

In my Camelbak I always carry a space blanket, a phone, some electrical tape and an energy gel.

Have used the tape plus a buff/tissues (and clean water from camelback) a couple of times for gashes on shins and palms.

Agree with much of the sentiment on here that scrapes can be cleaned up after a shower.

PS also used to work as a first aider, qualification long since expired but most of the important knowledge retained!

rusty90
    Free Member

Can you please explain?

You seem overly keen to suggest that mountain biking is some fantastically dangerous activity and that CYB is equivalent to the north face of the Eiger. It’s just messing around in the woods on a bike.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I thinktis adds to the debate about accident rates and so on – if you ride with crashers or are one yourself then maybe you need this with you

after all – you can never be too safe can you?

philconsequence
    Free Member

ok, i carry a knife and a blowtorch, if something hurts, cut it off then set at the wound with the blowtorch.

for anything else there’s the my good company and ability to alert and guide the emergency services to the exact location using nothing but interpretive dance and using the light shining out of my arse to flash S.O.S into the sky.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Isn’t the pain killer thing a bit of case of MTFU?

I’m super hard and rode 5 miles round Gisburn with a broken wrist, stopped for a pint, then drove home. It hurt quite a bit.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I don’t want to MTFU If I get properly hurt I want opiates and lots of them immediately

fairhurst
    Free Member

On every occasion when i got out cycling be it with my riding group or by oneself,
    it is a must to carry my 1st aid kit with me much similar to this one here

i do have some morphine pills
    but plenty of painkillers Aswell as
    Anti-histimine tablets
    Saline
    Strapping – wound pads
    plastic gloves
    Antiseptic spray
    Tweezers
    Knife
    scissors
    Space Blanket
    Fleece Top
    energy bars
    GPS enabled phone
    lipsyl
    small stove sometimes
    whistle
    also reflective clothing is a must!be seen,be safe,be heard!

smogmonster

I just carry a simple Ambulance dressing – it can support a broken arm, tie a broken leg and (even) help stop critical levels of bleeding. Anything less can wait until you get home, anything more you aint gonna help much in the middle of nowhere, unless you carry a Defib, Portex Chest Drain Kit, Thomson Splint or MARS Resuscitator.
    All IMHO opinion of course.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i’m guessing nobody else has been sensible enough to grab one of the defib machines from their local supermarket or trainstation to take riding then? 🙄

fools the lot of you.

fairhurst
    Free Member

‘m guessing nobody else has been sensible enough to grab one of the defib machines from their local supermarket or trainstation to take riding then?

i did when i rode up snowdon yes!

hora
    Free Member

Plaster? WTF. If someone is bleeding, someone takes a top off and ties it round. I would never carry serious painkillers. Not good for the professionals who turn up and have to then hand you over to A&E etc if you’ve self-administrated (confused) or don’t have the training etc.

Better to stick with good waterproofs packed, food, tell someone where you are going, ID and a phone and a properly working bike with shared spares.

nick3216
    Free Member

rash pack in Camelbak, or bigger pack when bivvying

not when on the road or only out for a couple of hours

bobfleming

I’m with djaustin’s sentiment “take one so hopefully won’t need one!!”

Although used antiseptic wipes and dressings on quite a few occasions, including someone skewered on brake lever!

1st aid kit really just out of habit and fact its always in camelbak along with, in my opinion, more important space blanket. Oh and also tick pullers.

mrdestructo

I always carry a small kit round with me, plus an emergency blanket, even when not cycling. It’s light, and doesn’t take up much room in the bottom of my rucksack. When an incident needs less than an ambulance something the best kit is your personal reassuring presence by being seen by the ‘victim’ to treat them, reducing shock.

In the past, heading to potential riot demos with the Met posting ahead of it online they’re going to “get theirs” I carry fully fleshed out kits with stuff like large bandages from a bomb blast kit liberated during some urban exploring. Similar to standard issue infantry bandages. But many injuries for cyclists out in the country there’s not a lot you can do with a small kit: ankle/knee/hip/chest/spine. I certainly doubt anyone here is carrying a knife and tube to deal with windpipe issues from allergic reactions.

I’m not one for taking small doses of it before doing anything to pre-empt where I’m at risk of impact, like some rugby players I knew……but I do carry ibrobrufen so I can get home after a major impact. I don’t need the painkilling attributes of drugs, but I have frequently needed the temporary mobility offered by anti-inflammatories.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

knife and tube to deal with windpipe issues from allergic reactions.

Blade on my multitool, chop a chunk off someones camelback hose 🙂

crikey
    Free Member

Meh, is it time for this thread again so soon?

Duct tape and clean hankie, or dirty hankie, or buff or T-shirt.

Antiseptic wipes are a waste; they don’t do anything except make smooth undamaged skin a bit cleaner.

Space blankets really are a waste; they are good for Christmas turkey in foil impressions, but if you need that kind of protection, a big orange survival bag is far better.

The most important thing is the knowledge and the intelligence to apply said knowledge in a calm, sensible way.

I’m also not 100% sure about people carrying round prescription only pain killers; they can interfere with any assessment, and can, undoubtedly, make head injury or other loss of conciousness events more difficult to assess.

redthunder
    Free Member

Small kit [platers, bandage etc]

I’ve used it about 5 or 6 times and quite glad of it.

Training is useful,,,,, but any First Aid is better than none.

Shackleton

As I would rather see myself and those around me safe rather than in pain or worse I carry:

Space blanket (in water compartment)
    Duck tape (wrapped around pump)
    Sling
    Non stick absorbent dressing
    Narrow gauze
    Antiseptic wipes and cream
    Zinc oxide tape
    Micropore tape
    Large heavy duty plaster
    Superglue
    Small tubes of saline (much appreciated by contact lens wearers)
    Glucose tablets
    Ibuprofen
    Scissors (on penknife)

Packs to the same size as 2 medium apples. No reason at all not to carry it.

I know what to do with it and have had to use it. The piss wet through guy in the Cheviots last March with the dislocated collarbone and hole in his knee was particularly grateful, especially as he had no mobile reception, no real knowledge of what was wrong with him or how to fix it. He was just slowly walking towards the nearest road about 5 km away. Blue, shivvering and barely able to speak.

Maybe a bit out of the ordinary but a salutary lesson none the less.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 137 total)

The topic ‘How many of you carry a first aid kit on your rides?’ is closed to new replies.