Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • How many miles do you have to ride to lose a trouser size?
  • jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

My cousin’s wedding in France is next month and I’ve been trying my rarely used formal trousers on to find they don’t fit.

Being as my van is currently off the road, I’m entertaining the idea of riding the 250ish miles over the course of 3 or 4 days.

Would such an exertion be enough to reduce my waistline sufficiently to fit into trousers that are currently a size too small?

Drac

Depends on how much food you’re eating.

cynic-al
    Free Member

On its own, unlikely.

I am no expert on this at all tho .

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

martymac

Most efficient way would be to stop eating altogether.

this may not be too practical though.

but I’m sure it’s possible with sensible diet and long steady miles in the fat burning zone.

martymac

Edit: over the course of a month i meant, the 3-4 day ride to france will do very little on its own.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Additional information… I normally dig trails and ride downhill most of the time; on average of late, I’ve probably been riding around 15-20 miles a week.

km79
    Free Member

Restricting your intake and eating clean for three weeks whilst exercising an hour or so most days should do it.

Garry_Lager

What size gut are we talking about? You could prob crash 40 down to 38 in a month but 30 down to 28 would be a different story.

poly
    Free Member

I’m sure one of the crazy size obsessed girls I work with says one dress size (which I guess is a similar issue) requires you to eat 35000 fewer calories.  If you burn 50 calories per mile (which is weight and speed dependant) you’d need to cycle 700 miles without eating any extra food.  So if you get the train to Edinburgh and leave from there you could maybe pull it off!

hols2
    Free Member

IME, intensive exercise isn’t much use for weight loss because you can’t sustain it without lots of high-calorie food. Losing weight means that you need to eat significantly less than you burn, so you will feel tired and dizzy if you try to do anything very intensive.

kerley
    Free Member

Losing weight means that you need to eat significantly less than you burn, so you will feel tired and dizzy if you try to do anything very intensive.

True if you need to lose weight in a month.  You should have planned it better and given yourself 6 months as it is then very easy as dropping 200 calories per day for most people is not that hard.  Once you start to actually take note of what you are eating it is easy to remove one chocolate bar or one packet of crisps out of each day.

You can then also exercise moderately without needing to increase food intake.

Cletus

Double you current riding and eat 1500 calories per day and you will do it easily in four weeks (assuming you are talking something like 38″ to 36″)

I ride a 200km (125 miles) every month and find I have to eat lots not to bonk with 50km to go. No way I could do that when keeping to a calorie deficit from my normal sedentary calorie burn.

senorj

Wrap yourself in clingfilm whilst riding or for a month. Should work. 🙂

Maybe do some sit ups and leg raises too.

theotherjonv

more than I’ve done this year so far, on the evidence.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve been riding bikes for 15 years and hardly dropped a lb. Started back running again in December, 2.5 stones gone.

Get yer trainers oot.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Rapid weight loss can actually dry out the liver any jolt could then lead to liver fissure…….NOT RECOMMENDED !!

Tiger6791

You have to eat less, it’s taken me several years of being fit but fat and dieting and messing about but I’ve finally got my head round this fact! (unfortunately whereas I’m okay at exercise i’m rubbish at eating less/better)

You really can’t outrun a bad diet and I am living proof.

And even though you go faster it’s even harder to outcycle a bad diet.

Yak

It’s very easy. You just need to catch the latest cough and shits bug doing the rounds from any kid and then you’ll be down a trouser size in no time. Ah, the joy…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Start running, more calorie efficient and you use more of your boy

Failing that eat a raw chicken or something and wait the weight will come off within a week 🙂

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

How would cycling make your legs shorter?

ads678

Yeah, I’ve been doing loads of training lately but still eat too much, so I’m fitter but haven’t lost much weight.

I got food poisoning in Spain a couple of years ago and dropped 15kgs in  week!!

Dickyboy

Zero – my waste size will never been smaller than before I started cycling.

Tiger6791

That’s a fair point, the evidence suggests that cycling just doesn’t work

I started cycling when I was 4 and have been cycling ever since and my waist just gets bigger

No way could i get into the same trousers now as i did when i was 4

Keva
    Free Member

every time you fancy eating something highly calorific just remember this:

it’s easier not to eat it in the first place than it is to try and burn it off afterwards.

epicyclo

Old fashioned way for cyclists:

Up early in am, drink a cup of coffee, ride hard until the edge of bonk, then a couple of poached eggs and more coffee.

If you can’t work it out so you arrive at the feeding spot just before bonk, carry the food and a flask.

It really works, seems to kick start your metabolism, but don’t fill up on garbage after, and eat decent food.

Apparently this was what racing cyclists did to lose weight for races with lots of climbs, ie they started from a base of being already fit and reasonably lean.

It worked fairly quickly when I tried it.

angeldust
    Free Member

Amazing logic from the OP here 🙂

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Might give this bonking and egg lark a try…

In this instance, the egg definitely comes before the (raw) chicken

bigad40
    Free Member

You need to be drinking litres of water.

Decided to join the wife on current exercise/diet plan, 3 weeks in I’ve dropped a trouser size BUT

its pretty strict. No carbs for her, I’m allowed a portion of rice with each meal because im doing miles on the bike.

Men drink 4 litres of water, 3 for the ladies.

Chicken, turkey and fish only, no red meat!

Protein portion is the same size as your palm.

Handful of Green veg.

4 eggs in the morning, scrambled or boiled with salmon.

mid morning snack Greek yoghurt handful of blueberries and 6 almonds.

We’re allowed diet shakes instead of some meals but they suck!

Give it a go, you’ll be surprised how synthetic everything tastes after you’ve adjusted.

You can buy new trousers.

andrewh
    Free Member

Start running, more calorie efficient and you use more of your boy

Mine’s never lifted a finger to help me run.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Forget about the waist line conundrum, just do it.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘How many miles do you have to ride to lose a trouser size?’ is closed to new replies.