Viewing 11 posts - 281 through 291 (of 291 total)
  • how many hours do you work a week?
  • clubber
    Free Member

I lived in Nigeria when I was a kid (10-13) because my parents thought it would be a good experience. It was. My Dad still didn’t work particularly long hours though… I don’t really get the relevance to a discussion on hours worked.

(incidentally, I was one of the very few Brit kids of that age out there – the rest were all packed off to boarding school if they were in secondary education – I went the American International School out there)

mrmo
    Free Member

Why does living in a foreign country lead to family arguments?

Think never being there when it mattered, leaving one partner to do everything. Think stressful situation, arguments, etc. Yes there is money and “nice life” but waking up in the night to hear your parents arguing because of hours worked isn’t a nice memory.

Hohum
    Free Member

35 hours a week, 9 to 5, with an hou for lunch (sometimes longer).

In the 9 months since starting my current job I have only had to stay an extra half hour 3 times.

It then takes me 50 minutes to get home and I am able to enjoy dinner with my wife and children 🙂

LHS
    Free Member

Think never being there when it mattered, leaving one partner to do everything. Think stressful situation, arguments, etc. Yes there is money and “nice life” but waking up in the night to hear your parents arguing because of hours worked isn’t a nice memory.

I guess its different for everyone. We have lived in 4 different countries now, 3 with the kids. We made it a priority to ensure everything was discussed and rationally thought through to avoid arguments. Yes we have had the occassional falling out, but over the usual stuff rather than living in a foreign country.

As I said, everyone is different, but for me the experience that I have been able to give my kids through travel far out-weighs any negatives.

njee20
    Free Member

Crikey, this has gone a bit serious! Tiger gets the best posts award!

Back OT, it’s 35 for me, with flex time, so any extra I hours I take off elsewhere.

Not going to get embroiled in the absentee parent thing… my parents both worked long(ish) hours from the time I was born, so I was shipped off to childminders and what not constantly, only child too, so lots of time on my tod. I don’t think it did me any harm! I always felt I had enough contact with my parents, I’ve never ever ever argued with them, not once, no raised voices or anything, and thoroughly enjoy spending time with them now, I think it made for a better relationship with them. We had lots of nice holidays and things too, which was good.

mrmo
    Free Member

LHS, i think sometimes the same drive that makes people think they have to do the hours almost makes them blind to the “bigger picture”, i am glad you make it work, i just know that for a lot of people they don’t see the problem until it is too late. And as soon as kids get involved in anything it always gets far more complicated.

longboroughnick
    Free Member

It probably depends on priorities – I asked to move here because it was what my family and I had decided to do rather than the other way round. I was lucky enough to do something similar as a child and still to this day value and use some of things the experience taught me. So naturally want the same things for my own children.

So far they love it although having your children start to talk in Mandarin because they know you can’t understand is not a downside I expected.

TJ – I may or may not be compensated and balance the hours out, who knows I just don’t feel the need to clock watch. I count myself very lucky to be in that position and know I am the exception not the rule.

Basil

Monday 12
    Tuesday 13
    Wednesday 13
    TJ is Citizen Smith

_tom_
    Free Member

Currently just 12 a week but will be starting a new job on the 21st working 12hrs a day on a 4 on 2 off pattern 🙂

tails
    Free Member

I just do 9 to 5 plus 1hr commute each way, but I’ve been stiffed on my holiday entitlement this year. Plan to leave soon job or no job as I hate working rude racists, who have small man syndrome!

ssnowman
    Free Member

I’m shocked that people actually work 9 to 5 & have an hour for lunch. I’ve never managed to find a job with such short hours.

Viewing 11 posts - 281 through 291 (of 291 total)

The topic ‘how many hours do you work a week?’ is closed to new replies.