Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • How many guitars does a drummer need?
  • johndrummer
    Free Member

Ok I have enough drums and cymbals to satisfy anyone short of Terry Bozzio, so I’m learning to play guitar. And bass.

I probably have more than enough guitars to satisfy my as yet limited skills on the fretboard, but I’ve just seen a Harley Benton DC-Custom in white with gold hardware. It’s essentially an SG with a few tweaks to the body shape to keep Gibson’s lawyers at bay, but still clearly modelled on the SG. Reviews suggest it’s as good as, if not better than, an Epiphone G400 Pro, but for less than half the price.

Please talk me out of it before they get some more stock at Thomann.de

For reference I already have the following:
    Fender Stratocaster Player series
    Harley Benton SC550 – essentially a Les Paul but tweaked to keep Gibson off their backs
    Washburn WIN-14 – another LP lookalike
    Dean Sarasota 12-string. A bit like a 335 but smaller body
    Yamaha ERG112 – a ‘fat strat’ – on permanent loan to a mate
    Harley Benton Thunderbird lookalike bass
    AXL Precision Bass lookalike – again on loan to a mate

So as you can see, I think I already have more than enough, but I really fancy the SG lookalike.
    Oh, and I fancy a Telecaster too.

How many guitars do you need

racefaceec90

you need a bass 👍 😀

i only have a squier j mascis jazzmaster and squier affinity jazz bass atm but would love a squier 70’s cv jazz bass one day.

also an ibanez floral jem re-issue (am no shredder guitarist i must add)

and a resonator guitar

but in all honesty n + 1 is the answer just like bikes.

doh would help if i could read properly (scratch the bass lol)

johndrummer
    Free Member

Yeah, the T-bird bass is a beast. I don’t know if you’ve noticed but bass players tend to be tall with long arms. I’m not

perchypanther
    Free Member

Four.

You need to play them strictly in this order….

One
    Two
    One, two, three, four

racefaceec90

if it helps i’m 5ft 5″ with shortish arms ( am no great shakes at playing bass i must add/or guitar for that matter lol).

just got the squier back in nov (my first bass) and have been enjoying trying to play the thing. i find that slanting the neck up towards me helps with the reach a bit.

i also use weird fingerings as i have small hands also (when playing at the low end).

and a lot of sliding along strings also.

johndrummer
    Free Member

I do struggle to reach bottom e string with my pinky finger, on both 4 and 6 string. Hey ho

bigblackshed

My mate Mike has on last count 18 guitars. And not one of them is a Fender or a Gibson.

Keep going, you can never have enough.

johndrummer
    Free Member

One Fender, no Gibsons, or Epiphones, but a few lookalikes

johndrummer
    Free Member

I do feel a bit ATGNI though. Still, having real lessons plus the Fender Play app, Guitar Pro & any number of YouTube channels , I’m making slow progress. Hitting things is easier 😉

bob_summers

A mate sent me a photo today, band practice in my bedroom aged 14 or so.
    Can just make out that the guitar was a Hohner Arbor Strat copy in black, maple fretboard. My first guitar. Had forgotten all about it til today.

Long since gone, and I guess no longer made, but it’s my new n+1

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Im currently at 6, at one point I had 8 but a need for money saw me sell the more valuable stuff when prices went silly. 4 have been in storage on and off for 12 years when I’ve been away from ‘home’! One is my don’t care about it ‘beater’ and the other is a bored lockdown acquisition. I’m scared at how easy it is to have a beer and the next day a new toy turns up.

Edit. Just remembered. Make that 7. I have a mid sixties Vox Organ Guitar in my brother’s loft.

dff47d77

Ooh. They seemed to be going up in price again. I paid £30 for mine in 1971.

https://reverb.com/uk/item/5227224-1966-vox-guitorgan-v251-guitar-organ?locale=en-GB

theotherjonv

I was wondering if an aspiring bassist needs a 6 string….we’ve got a cheap Strat copy that we got years ago for about £60 including amp, but I was perusing down the rabbit hole on guitar sites and found this

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Epiphone-Les-Paul-SL-Vintage-Sunburst/art-GIT0042549-000

other sites have them for around £110-130, what’s the catch?

johndrummer
    Free Member

It’ll be £90 for shipping 😉

nickdavies

N+1.

Im not a drummer, but at last count i was on 13 guitars although 1 (a lovely schecter korina flying v) is for sale in the local shop.

I’ve only played 4 of them in the last 5 years so really it’s time to have a clearout.

2x 12 strings acoustic
    2x 6 string acoustic
    1x ovation electro acoustic
    1x old japanese strat
    1x steinberger headless
    1x kramer sambora
    1x ibanez herman lee (blocked trem and sounds fantastic, just wish it didnt have the silly hand hold)
    Plus some other stuff, strat/sg reps etc.

Just typing this i’m realising a lockdown job should probably be a session with the camera and ebay!

RustySpanner

Vintage do an excellent SG copy.

Mine was £90 from a guitar show.
    It’s bloody marvellous.
    I’ve tried loads of proper SG’s but I still prefer the Vintage.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

@nickdavis

Is that a US composite body Steinberger? Asking for a friend 😉

Edukator
    Free Member

I do struggle to reach bottom e string with my pinky finger, on both 4 and 6 string. Hey ho

I’ve got a prety big repetoire of songs and can’t think of one that requires use of the pinky on bottom E on either guitar or bass. There’s always an easier way of doing it.

I’m not a drummer but as a guitarist I wouldn’t be without a Telecaster, I’ve got five of them with various pickups and necks. If I could only have one guitar I’d toss a coin between my Squier classic vibe thinline and my Warmoth with N3 pickups.

earl_brutus

Im a guitarist turned drummer, and whilst I only have one drum kit I do have 13 guitars, which is the optimum amount:

1 fender strat
    2 fender telecasters ( one with high actions set up in open g for slide )
    1 gibson les paul
    1 gibson 335
    1 gibson firebird
    1 martin d18 acoustic
    1 takamine budget acoustic
    2 handmande acoustic from vietnam
    3 tanglewood parlour guitars set up in different tunings for slide
    plus two amps, a marshall handwire and a fender blues junior
    plus 1 ukulele, a bugel, a harminica and a set of bongoes
    did have a yamaha electric piano but its on permanent loan to a mate

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I never owned a decent Tele. After trying one I really really (really) want a Custom Shop Cabronita ao go with my Strat. Not sure how much I’d use it as it is a bit of a one trick pony but it is so lovable.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’m a guitarist and I have 4 guitars (Strat, Tele, LP, Acoustic). I only really play one (the Tele). I’d rather my n+1 money went on bikes…

theotherjonv

4.99 shipping……must….resist…….

chipps

Hi, I’m Chipps and I have a guitar problem… 🙂

I’ve not dared count, but before I had a clearout last year, I’d topped 20… I’m having a bit more of a clearout soon, so shout if anyone’s up for something or a trade…

Roughly autobiographically, it’s now something like: 1981 Aria Pro2 double cutaway thing, homemade 1987 Van Halen/Steve Vai home paintjob superstrat, 90s Japanese Strat, three PRS guitars (two McCartys and a SAS, four actually, just got a Vela…), homemade single pickup Cabronita, Fender SRV Strat, a Rockbass fretless, Gibson SG, Squier 51, homemade semihollow Strat with GK3 pickup in it, a custom Fender purple sparkle Cabronita that was my 50th present to myself, Fender Vintera Precision bass, the aforementioned PRS Vela – and probably a few more I forgot…

@eddiebaby
    – let me know if you want a spin on the Cabronita… way more versatile than you’d think.

Couple of acoustics and a Weissenborn dobro thing. Oh and a ’51 Harmony lap steel.

Plus a tweed-covered(!) Tele on loan to a nephew and a PRS SE baritone on loan to a friend.

Going on ebay soon: Gretsch 5420T, a very good relic Strat copy, maybe one of the PRSes. I guess that’s around 20 then… oops!

I’ve come to terms with the thought that I will never be a great player. I just like guitars. My ideal evening is spent rewiring a pedalboard and restringing guitars while listening to good tunes, rather than playing them. And I’m comfortable with that 🙂

chipps

Something I did realise a few years ago, was that I was hoovering up guitars I’d wanted when I was 18 in the eighties – pointy Charvels, Kramers, Epiphones etc and other guitars that were bargains – then just not playing them. I decided to try to sell the cheaper ones to get fewer, nicer guitars.

It’s still a work in progress, but it’s slowly getting there…

ji
    Free Member

That Harley Benton SC550 Les Paul copy looks nice, and gets really good reviews. I always wanted a Les Paul – settle4d for a mid 80s SG Standard which I have just picked up after 20 odd years of not playing. How well does the copy compasre to a real LP – would I satisfy my itch for a few hundered quid rather than several times the cash?

metalheart
    Free Member

Hi, I’m metalheart and I also have guitar issues.

In my youth I owned (at various times) a fender squire (super?) bullet, one of the last of the cbs telecasters, a Yamaha acoustic, a seagull acoustic and an Olympic white MIJ fender jag.

I sold everything in my early thirties as I really wasn’t getting ‘anywhere’.

For my fortieth I got a black USA HSS strat. Then a Taylor big baby (it warped and ended up with ‘action’!). Then a tele plus deluxe (in a beautiful turquoise) came up 2ndhand… Then I got a deal on a Tokai ES120 (335 copy).

Somewhere around then I ordered a 52 hot rod tele (in butterscotch blonde, mmmm). Which I never really got on with until I borrowed a champ Reverb…

I know, I know, you’re saying I’ve missed a les paul, but I’m getting there… I then got a MIJ Tokai Loverock on which I swapped out the pups for bare knuckle mules… and upgraded the strat with a prewired BKP ‘plate…

Then a mate decided to sell me his Ibanez jet king for what he paid for it (to try and scratch my emergent j-shape itch…) and as my BB had warped I obviously needed a new acoustic. Went for the 50th anniversary Yamaha FG150 dreadnaught (but despite it being a cracking guitar I couldn’t find a comfortable playing position- dislocated a finger and broke an arm that set a couple degrees out of rotation) I gave it my ‘wee’ brother as a) he can play b) he still had my old yam I sold him 20 odd years earlier and c) he doesn’t t have the money to squander.

Still having a j-shape itch I got a Reverend Charge 290 (also in that lovely turquoise colour). Well I’d never had a P90 shod guitar…

Then I had a nylon itch, and got a ‘cheap’ Córdoba (cut away) electro acoustic. The 52mm nut width played havoc with my ‘dislocated’ index finger and now is on perm loan to a mate who has turned GAS to an art! He’s scared to count (he stopped at 30).

So that got ‘replaced with a Yamaha NTX700C fusion electro (and is my current go too).

Not having a steel string I got one of the Yamaha csf3m travel guitars…

I still have a j-shape itch. It’ll either be a jag or jazz. In olympic white or 3x sunburst. MYbe as post lockdown treat to myself…

Thank you listening (and not judging).

RustySpanner

Chipps, tell me about the relic Strat…….🙂

I’ve got away quite lightly so far.

A Squier Tele Custom II.
    The Vintage SG.
    An Ibanez 550.
    A cheapo classical.
    A LAG mahogany acoustic.

All keepers.

Have sold a Kay acoustic and a Westone Spectrum DX bass. Should have kept the Westone.

Sue has a pink paisley Jap Tele and a cracking Faith Venus electro.

I’m currently GASSING for a Firebird (possibly an LTD Phoenix 1000), something Mosrite shaped and a nice Strat – don’t want or need anything else.

Pedals don’t count, do they?

ji
    Free Member

OOh and I really like the twin necked SG copy – DC-Custom 612 Cherry for just £435

Twin NEcked SG copy

metalheart
    Free Member

I’ve also been on a ‘journey’ with amps.

BITD I had a tranny fender twin.

Reboot I got one of them 15W valve Jrs (on/off, vol, tone and on light). It was too loud and at low volume the hiss was too much. It got replaced with a Laney vc15 (I think) which was much nicer but the hotrod sounded crap through… so I got a H&K tubermeister. Biiig mistake , it might have lots of settings (and the power selector 1,5, 10 & full on was what drew me). It never ever got ‘warm’ like the laney…

Then I borrowed a ‘72 fender champ reverb for a mate who’d had it since new (!). Oh, revelation, the tele sounded amazing. But he would not sell it too me. The nearest I could find to it was a Princeton ‘68 Reverb Custom reissue. And there I’ve stopped.

I also got a Roland micro cube which was probably the best 65£ I’ve ever spent on guitars.

earl_brutus

id be keen to know the price and spec of the gretsch chipps

eddiebaby
    Free Member

BITD I had a tranny

We don’t judge here.

I also got a Roland micro cube which was probably the best 65£ I’ve ever spent on guitars.

For probably similar reasons my little Yamaha TRDII 10watt amp is almost certainly my best purchase to date.

CountZero

In my youth I owned (at various times) a fender squire (super?) bullet, one of the last of the cbs telecasters, a Yamaha acoustic, a seagull acoustic and an Olympic white MIJ fender jag.

Was the Seagull one of the early £99 solid top instruments? They’re a lot more expensive than that, now. A friend of mine was given one as a birthday pressy when she was around eleven or twelve-ish, stunning guitar for the money, they’re up around the £5-600 or so now, I think.

Blackflag
    Free Member

I’m clearly missing something here. I have been playing since 17 (now 49) and i’ve only got A) my old one i had in my youth, doesnt get played anymore and B) my Gibson SG Standard which is the one i play now. I’ve never felt the compulsion to collect them.

nickdavies

Is that a US composite body Steinberger? Asking for a friend 😉

It’s not an original one, it’s one of the thru neck post Gibson imports. Probably 10-15 years old and it goes all over the world with me. It’s suffered a bit of a hard life, but for the money it’s been great with some beefed up pups. One of the keepers.

One of the grail guitars would be an original USA steinberger with transtrem, but I’m a long way off spending that kind of money.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Blackflag I’m with you.

My first guitar is a homebuild from a kit body and Tele copy neck and is in my parents loft.

My second guitar is the one I bought with my student grant (remember those!?) In Jan 95, and is Japanese made early 80s aria pro 2 es335 copy. this is my current guitar and is still played regularly and badly.

We also have a cheap but nice sounding acoustic which belongs to my wife but she never bothered learning.

My 10 year old son has had as many guitars as me. He’s currently got a gold metallic 3/4 squire strat. Which is lovely and he’s never going to be allowed to sell it.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

It’s not an original one, it’s one of the thru neck post Gibson imports. Probably 10-15 years old and it goes all over the world with me.

I had the same sold as a Steinberger Spirit. The HSS one stayed stock but I got the HH model they made, stripped it back and put a flamed maple veneer on the top.
    Like yours mine became a travel guitar with a Korg Pandora and Walkman speakers/headphones. Brilliant in Egypt when the sun went down but still too early to hit the bar.

johndrummer
    Free Member

I’ve never played a Gibson, or even Epiphone, Les Paul, but I do like my HB SC550. As do most of my friends who have tried it. Probably half the price of an Epiphone

chipps

I had one of those Spirit Steinbergers too. Sold it to someone on here I think… I’ve messaged the people who wanted pics of guitars. If that doesn’t get through, just email chipps@ etc

Just remembered I have a Squier John5 silver/chrome Tele too. That’s on the ‘to sell/swap’ list too.

And yes, let’s leave the ‘What guitars have you sold?’ and ‘What pedals do you have?’ to another thread… 🙂

@metalheart
    – a friend of mine had a ’70s Vibro Champ that sounded incredible once it had warmed up a bit. He sold it without telling me… boo!

chipps

Top is an Aria PE, right?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘How many guitars does a drummer need?’ is closed to new replies.