How many different rear axle 12mm "standards" are there…

Home Forum Bike Forum How many different rear axle 12mm "standards" are there…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • How many different rear axle 12mm "standards" are there…
  • All sounds correct to me.

Premier Icon euain
    Subscriber

Hi all,

Slightly confused about rear wheel axles and hoping the collective can confirm my understanding…

I’m looking at a bike with 142 x 12mm rear dropouts. As I understand it that is the same as X-12. If I want the right Hope Pro-2 adapters, it’s the X-12 I need. There is only one 142×12 standard and 142×12 is synonymous with X-12.

There is also 135×12 – which for the hope adapters is simply called 12mm through axle?

Is any/all/none of the above true?

Thanks

Premier Icon ndg
    Subscriber

There are two 12mm drop out standards (Shimano and DTSwiss/Syntace X12), but 142×12 hubs will fit either. Axles however are NOT interchangable!

Premier Icon euain
    Subscriber

Thanks all.. that makes sense… I think the frame comes with the axle – I just need to get hub adapters to fit. 🙂

nickhart

Like ndg says. The x 12 is the syntace system which requires the use of an Allen key to remove the axle. The ‘dropouts’ may loo different where the axle fastens in but where the hub goes should be the same regardless of which axle you have.
    I can think of three 12 systems, the syntace x12, shimano and fox e-thru and the maxle from SRAM.
    Hope it helps.

slackalice

What’s the new frame going to be euaine? 🙂

Premier Icon vinnyeh
    Subscriber

There’s also Specializeds 142+ system used on most all their mountain bikes now.
    The issue with that is that while any wheel with 142 spacing can be used on the frames, the wheels that Specialized spec on their bikes are now useless on any frames except their own.

legend

Lets not forget 150 x 12 as well, but you’re unlikely to see that anywhere other than DH bikes

Premier Icon euain
    Subscriber

New frame – if they come back into stock and I can keep saving and smuggle it past the wife – will be a Pivot Mach 5.7.. 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘How many different rear axle 12mm "standards" are there…’ is closed to new replies.