Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • How many cycle commuters…
  • Mister-P
    Free Member

Will I see (or not see as the case may be) riding on the red ways of Milton Keynes with no lights on this evening? I have a 4 mile ride across the town so it could be quite a few.

shermer75
    Free Member

What’s a red way?

theboatman
    Free Member

Quite a few?

martymac

Random number.

scc999

Depends how dark it is.  If they are really stealthy, then without lights you wont see them at all!

Was this a trick question?

Si

ajaj
    Free Member

I was going with 24, extrapolated from my count last week. But a better metric would be what %, and I’ll go 90%.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

do you ride with your eyes open or closed?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

But you’ll see them, thus proving that having no lights is safer than having lights and being hit by a SMIDSY.

You should turn yours off to be safe.

ads678

Well apparently lights make **** all difference any way, either the that or the bus driver that just pulled out in front of me and then tried to run me off the road just didn’t give a shit!

Canal from now on for me….

Edit: Sorry for the thread hijack, i’m still angry…

easily
    Free Member

Uh-oh, I’m going to make your question go a bit Bertrand Russell as I had lights but I didn’t turn them on as I didn’t think it was dark enough to bother.
    So do I go in the ‘lights’ or ‘no lights’ category?

donks
    Free Member

Well if you were riding along the railway walk from linford to Wolverton just after 5 you should have seen me on the stooge lit up like a Christmas tree…. Had the usual ball ache of finding the lights in the garage this morning then again trying to locate the charging leads but I’m now nicely illuminated for the winter.
    Hi saw or almost didn’t see a couple of dark bike shaped objects but to be fair it’s the dog walkers you need to be wary of. We have super bright led collars for our hounds so they don’t get missed by anyone in the dark.

Mister-P
    Free Member

The red ways are a cycle path network around Milton Keynes. Only 4 riding without lights which I thought was pretty good.

ajaj
    Free Member

I saw three other cyclists on my way home. Two had no lights at all and the other one only had a front.

They were just bumbling around at barely above walking pace on the lit shared use pavement so not really causing anyone any problems, but they’ll be fueling resentment in the anti-cyclist brigade.

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

How many cars will I see with front lights on only. Why are daytime running lights set up like that with no rear lights on? Never understood that one.

Anyway saw a poor lad cycling up an unlit road tonight at snails pace as he couldn’t see much in front of his nose. I flew past him with my lights on full blast and no doubt my Blaze rear light ruined his night vision. I had a tail wind and was listening to a Lloyd Cole playlist so was gunning on with a grin on my face.

crazy-legs

I saw three other cyclists on my way home. Two had no lights at all and the other one only had a front.

They were just bumbling around at barely above walking pace on the lit shared use pavement so not really causing anyone any problems, but they’ll be fueling resentment in the anti-cyclist brigade.

I saw hundreds of cars on my way home. Several had no lights at all, many had only one working headlight.

They were just bumbling along at barely above walking pace in the congested streets of Manchester so not really casuing any problems but they’ll be fuelling resentment in the anti-car brigade.

Oh actually, no they won’t because anyone can forget to turn their lights on and anyone can have a headlight bulb go out really and maybe they got caught out with the clock change and…and…and

This time of year is horrendous on the roads. Most people do the same 2 or 3 mile drive every day and for months they’ve not needed lights. Now suddenly, they need to turn their lights on for the first time since about March and it’s clearly a completely alien concept to many drivers. As is the idea that they may wish to check their vehicle’s roadworthiness every once in a while…

Mister-P
    Free Member

It’s fine if you have a headlight bulb out, just turn your fog lights on to compensate.

ajaj
    Free Member

I was kinda expecting some comments on those lines so I kept an eye out. I saw loads of cars too, too many to count, and not a single one had faulty lights.

It’s not a statistically robust experiment but…

sirromj

Strange, I found that I was suddenly able to see loads of dog walkers now it’s dark, where in the daylight I rarely spot more than one walking the tracks I take on the way home.

benp1

Loads of unlit cyclists on my commute home, and I commute in London where there are loads of cyclists. I’m on normal roads for a lot of it

I’ve had lights on a lot recently. Lots of dark or dusk commutes, I find that to be a particularly tricky time for visibility

fasthaggis

Like crazy legs says,it’s as if some drivers have had the ability to drive in the dark deleted over the Summer.They should also have a device that shocks them when they try and drive with only side lights on.

As for cyclists ,on probably one of the riskiest Monday evening commutes of the year,all I can say is … “Students!”.
    New term,new town,new bike..nae lights*

*often dressed in dark clothes while TxTn

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘How many cycle commuters…’ is closed to new replies.