• This topic has 127 replies, 91 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 128 total)
  • How many beers would you drive on?
  • scaredypants

I didn’t think Cologne counted?

grum
    Free Member
    derekfish
    Free Member

King-ocelot – Member
    None these days, i am not a big drinker anymore and would sooner get a taxi these days. Grassed up an old work mate after he drove home on 6 or more pints, I have no shame in grassing him up.

So, tell me, had he chosen instead to ride his bike home would you still have grassed him up, or would your self righteous sanctimonious nature make a different judgement call ?

Funny old world these days, pride in being a grass…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well, al, there’s a bit of sanctimony for you.

Jamie
    Free Member

Indeed. Snitches get stitches.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

None. I’ve also grassed up a neighbour that drove home drunk, unfortunately the police said there was nothing to be done as he had managed to make it home and out of the car, I’ve no idea if this is a real loophole or just lazy police!

[EDIT]

Or perhaps even the Police don’t like a grass.

imnotverygood

You do realize that the purpose of the drink driving laws is to prevent people from killing other people or themselves…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Best we all understand the purpose of derekfish’s post before we get too sanctimonious.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Zero

stu170
    Free Member

Five and drive!!

fatmax

Never drunk more than a pint.
    However, in the past I fear that I have been over the limit the morning after while drinking with a hangover.
    Have used a breathalyser in the car a couple of times the morning after to make sure that I wasn’t over the limit.

shermer75
    Free Member

Six pints is a lot of booze!

timidwheeler
    Free Member

None.
    I’m a police officer and have picked off three drink-drivers this week. As a beat bobby I get zero recognition for a drink drive.
    It isn’t a recordable crime so doesn’t show on the stats. Nicking and prosecuting them is a thankless task as far as government is concerned; but i have never met a police officer who isn’t happy with banning a drink-driver.

PSA- I get a great hit-rate by hanging round country pubs and pulling every car with a light out or who is tailgating.

_tom_
    Free Member

Pretty sure I’ve driven whilst over the limit a couple of times but I do feel pretty terrible about it and I no longer take my car keys if theres any chance I’ll get pissed enough to think its a good idea. I might have one pint with a meal but I’d rather just not bother now, not worth the risk.

nealglover
    Free Member

PSA- I get a great hit-rate by hanging round country pubs and pulling every car with a light out or who is tailgating.

You would be stopping half of the cars round here if you were going for everyone with a light out. I’ve never seen so many.
    I saw six driving home from work tonight (2.5 miles)

shermer75
    Free Member

You would be stopping half of the cars round here

Where is that?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

This is interesting. What about other substances, prescriptions, or otherwise? And, dare I ask, if you’re riding, do the same rules apply?

I have nasty scar from catching my arm on a slate hedge* while pissed.

* What sort of unt makes a horizont=l slate Cornish hedge?!

nealglover
    Free Member

Where is that?

Morley. It’s crazy how many I’ve seen recently.

shermer75
    Free Member

Interesting fact about Morley: The town is built on seven hills, like Rome: Scatcherd Hill, Dawson Hill, Daisy Hill, Chapel Hill, Hunger Hill, Troy Hill and Banks Hill.

NZCol

National sport in NZ. I’ve seen people driving after 6 beers 🙄 And they seem to think this is normal.
    I noticed i was crepping towards happily having 2 then driving. I now have nothing.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Same here in Oz, people get to know where the Random Breath Tests are and social media helps to inform them of an evening (it’s also normally under the bridge when it’s raining)

It’s much worse than the UK where most would be caught or stopped by friends. The social stigma is much higher in the UK, though when I read the fast car threads it reminds me that some people are just driving gods with much higher abilities than others – that mentality translates to drink driving too.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

zero

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

1 bottle of beer (330ml). Absolutely no more.

I used to live in a condo with parking underneath. I went to turn my car around in its space so someone could use my battery for a jump start. I’d had maybe 9 bottles (4 pints?) over a couple of hours and shocked myself with how my abilities had, well, disappeared!

A few years ago, I remember riding home at 4am. I ended up calling my sensible younger brother as I’d lost my bike and glasses in the hedge when I’d ridden into it.

batfink
    Free Member

“drunk in charge of a bicycle” is an offence I think?

Although I’m sure a few beverages would actually improve my riding

botanybay
    Free Member

Last time I crashed the car, I’d had about 8 cans and a bottle of wine. Plus a handful of e’s and some speed.

The coppers didn’t even breathalyse me as there was diesel on the road which was clear to see. It helps that I know the local polis though, small town and all that.

bearnecessities

Last time I crashed the car

That sentence started with such promise, and delivered!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep it does…

It helps that I know the local polis though, small town and all that.

ending with this is great, shame it only helps you and not the other poor people who have to share the roads with you.

Matt24k
    Free Member

botanybay – Member

Last time I crashed the car, I’d had about 8 cans and a bottle of wine. Plus a handful of e’s and some speed.

The coppers didn’t even breathalyse me as there was diesel on the road which was clear to see. It helps that I know the local polis though, small town and all that.

Grow up!

convert

You could have the good grace to take advantage of the fortuitous diesel and taken yourself out of the gene pool for society’s benefit.

Hanging is too good for ’em etc

piemonster

Used to be one. But the busier and longer my days became this turned into none, I was tired enough already.

botanybay – Member

How long ago was this? I’ve known quite a lot of people that used to drive under such high levels of ‘influence’ but none in the last 15-20 years. Having become middle aged I’ve no idea what the culture of today’s Yoof think about drink driving. I’m curious as to whether there’s been a shift further away from acceptability? Instinctually I’d say yes, but I’m not basing that on anything.

Never done it myself, and I’d hope this was to do with more than not having a driving license until quite recently.

lunge

Normally zero, I may have 1 bottle of beer if I was eating but that is as much as I would do. For no other reason than that I don’t feel as in control as I would like after much more than that. Irrelevant of the legal limit, if I’m in charge of 2 tones of steel I want to be on top of my game.

RoterStern
    Free Member

The stigma attached to drink driving in the UK is interesting. It just shows how effective the ad campaigns were in the 70s and 80s. People in Germany seem genuinely surprised when I tell them about it and drink driving is a lot more prevalent here especially in the countryside. One thing I find curious though is the legal limit becomes lower if you are involved in a crash.

nealglover
    Free Member

Obviously made up.

But that doesn’t make you any less of a bellend.

bikebouy
    Free Member

“Drive on” Drive on what? a roll on roll off ferry, a bridge, a beach..

Give us a clue wontcha.. 🙄

boxelder

Speeding poses a much greater risk than driving after a couple of pints.
    Both wrong, but why is speeding seen as acceptable or even celebrated.

ekul
    Free Member

To my eternal shame, about 4 years ago, I once woke up at an exes house without remembering how i’d got there, she then informed me I’d driven. Even now i only remember glimpses of the journey, but what i do remember is back roads going about 15-20mph all the way (about 10 miles). I was 18 then and it was definately the kick up the backside I needed.

Now I’ll have no more than 2 and wait for at least an hour or two after the last drink before getting behind the wheel. Even then I definately pay more attention to my driving than I do normally, ie, i don’t let myself go into autopilot.

convert

Speeding poses a much greater risk than driving after a couple of pints.

There are so many variables as to make that sentence a nonsense. Do you think for example a car going 33mph in a 30 limit with a 100% sober driver (of average ability) will stop in a longer distance than a car going at 30mph driven by driver (of average ability) with 4 units in their blood stream? I would put money on the opposite being true.

I’m not condoning either, and understanding what you are driving at (pun intended), but I’m not convinced sweeping generalisations like that are particularly helpful.

martinhutch

I don’t drink alcohol much, and have virtually no tolerance, so it would be zero for me. I reckon my ability would be noticeably impaired after a couple of units.

People who drink more, and more regularly, might be a different story. People just need to be honest about what they’re feeling, even if they’re still well under the limit.

zoo200
    Free Member

None.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m typing this post while driving, so I’ll keep it brief, I find drink driving to be a total disregard for other peoples safety.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘How many beers would you drive on?’ is closed to new replies.